General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User redbutcher
(learned) Thu 08-Sep-16 12:42:54
Print Post

Re: No BT Fibre if there's already Virgin Media?

[re: lightbody] [link to this post]

Historically speaking I've only been able to get VM for fibre broadband. However, with that being the only option, there has been a utilization issue in the area going on for nearly a year which reduced peak time speeds from the 200Mb/s I got during the day down to 50-70 Mb/s. The upload was pretty awful too.

How pleased I was when a new cabinet appeared earlier this year and it went live last month. So it can happen that both VM and BT can be available in the same area. It has taken a good couple of years for this to happen for me though.

Then VM VIVD 200 with utilization issues
Now Happy BT Infinity 2 79999/19999
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Thu 08-Sep-16 13:29:52
Print Post

I think you'll struggle for sympathy when there is still a large % without access to high speed broadband.

SSE - 80/20
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Thu 08-Sep-16 14:55:44
Print Post

Sounds similar to my area of Birmingham. We are well served by Virgin Media, however larger Openreach cabinets are upgraded to fibre - my smaller cab (and a few others) are uneconomically viable to upgrade.

Because my cabinet is smaller it's probably never going to reach a viable level - and you'd have to think why would anyone now decide to have ADSL at 5-6mbps when you can get Virgin. If competition existed then people would move away from Virgin - but the bean counters at Openreach aren't willing to invest at this moment.

Not a lot you can do about it sadly other than get the local community to join up and self fund - I have asked my local councillor if he can attempt to drum up some interest (maybe get the the area to register interest on Openreach's website).

I've dropped Clive Selley an email, but he's busy in meetings with limited access to email. Currently trying sarcasm as my next step to get Openreach to do something.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail

Edited by kebabselector (Thu 08-Sep-16 14:57:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 17:19:22
Print Post

As someone who together with others has had to stump up over £18K to get ONE faster broadband service you really need to think hard about what you are asking for. Be grateful for what you've got and if you want something else then move. It's that simple.

Incidentally I don't live in some rural village but rather in Lambeth in central London just 2km from Big Ben.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 17:28:14
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

They've just moved. Incautiously it seems.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 17:41:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In which case the OP has no grounds for complaint and should have considered broadband availability more carefully when choosing their property. In our case I was unaware of the existence of EO lines and their implications when I moved here 26 years ago and an extremely slow dial-up connection to my work was all that was available.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Sep-16 07:47:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

26 years ago? 10 years before ADSL became widely available and you didn't consider a future where being directly connected to the exchange could be an issue for your future broadband needs? Shame on you wink
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-16 21:25:21
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

I assume your are aware of this https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/OurNetwork/C...
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Sep-16 03:19:54
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gadget:
I assume your are aware of this https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/OurNetwork/C...
Which is what we have done. It's been a long haul but we are hoping to go live in the next week. Not that I can really see the neighbourhood coming up with the necessary funding given VM is already available.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to