General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 19:12:43
Print Post

Re: ESPCK Exchange - New cabinets, fibre laid, now what?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That was badly worded, but I've been out with my torch and my Big Coat, and I can explain further. smile Hopefully this isn't too ranty, but having spent a couple of hours mapping this out, I'm more than a bit surprised.

The below is based on the address checks (and some number checks) I've done for each property.

Imagine a long, straight road in the middle of nowhere, with the cabinet on the left hand side, along with all the telegraph poles.

The cables are underground until they reach this new cabinet, which is at the place where the lines change from underground to overhead. The poles have been in for as long as I've lived here, and carry large multipair cables, plus small junction boxes for the drops. There was no noticeable change to the overhead copper when the cabinet went in.

The first pole is marked DP309. The rest with only a number.

There is an underground cable across the road I think, leading to about 12 properties, several hundred metres away. They can all get VDSL, 80Mb.

30m along the road, pole 1 has a junction, and a dropwire to the 1 house on the other side of the road. They can get VDSL, 80Mb.

Pole 2 is about 20m further, and there is a T junction here. There is a cable that branches off, to follow that road. The house several hundred metres along that road can get VDSL, 80Mb.

Pole 3 is 30m further, and is just a pole.

Pole 4 is the same.

Pole 5 has 2 dropwires across the road. Can get VDSL 80Mb. This is my immediate neighbour.

Every property up to this point shows VDSL, 80Mb

Pole 6 is 50m further, and is "mine". Total distance back to Cab 21 and DP309 = 300m. I'm actually connected to Cab 11, about 5-6 miles away.

Up to here, everything except my address is VDSL, 80Mb.

The overhead cables and poles continue along this road for about 800m to Pole 14, and 1A on the other side of the road. All the properties here can get VDSL, around 50Mb

I've crosschecked address\phone number for several of my neighbours, including people further away, and they all have Cab 21 and VDSL in both checkers.

On the face of it, the whole thing makes no sense. So much so, I'm drawing a picture to send with my spreadsheet. smile

Edited by shtu (Wed 29-Jan-20 19:14:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jan-20 21:17:27
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Good work smile !

That's almost exactly what is requested in this post. The actual number and address of course as well, and preferably if you can get them your pole number and the preceding one as he rrequests. Go to it smile.

I think Andrew will get it sorted for you with that info. He's pretty good at it!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 21:42:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah, I've got a few sample number\address\pole combos to send over too. I'd post it here but y'know, internet.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, you've saved months of Q+A via Scotguv.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 22:12:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by shtu:
Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, you've saved months of Q+A via Scotguv.
Good luck, hopefully with the help of Andrew you can get it sorted so you can get VDSL via Cab 21
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 30-Jan-20 08:58:09
Print Post

Looks to me like your DP has been missed out and yours is the only line on it.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jan-20 11:05:31
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Certainly sounds feasible, but my walk round last night only found DP309, right next to the cabinet, where the cables change to overhead. Even the ones several hundred metres further away than me all seem to be via this one.

(But of course, this is just based on what I can see.)

Andrew's got an email inbound, we'll see what he says once he's stopped laughing. smile
Standard User dect
(experienced) Thu 30-Jan-20 11:42:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by shtu:
Certainly sounds feasible, but my walk round last night only found DP309, right next to the cabinet, where the cables change to overhead. Even the ones several hundred metres further away than me all seem to be via this one.

(But of course, this is just based on what I can see.)
Sounds to me there is one DP (on your pole) and that feeds dis-cases on the other poles.

Edit: Just like you would have in an office block, DP in basement and dis-cases on each floor)

Edited by dect (Thu 30-Jan-20 11:50:01)

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-20 09:32:16
Print Post

Well, last week's grumble internally has yielded little so far,

"
Thanks for your response.

I am sorry for the inconvenience faced, I have raised this to the concerned department and this will take 7 working day. We will contact you back on 12.02.2020 to check the update and proceed accordingly.
"

Maybe I'm cynical, but I suspect that on the 12th I'll get another email saying "You can't have it". Will keep you posted.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 03-Feb-20 10:11:51
Print Post

If you are staff have you tried making contact with the local engineering team manager (for maybe a site visit)? he wont necessarily sort it for you but may add his voice in support that you should be on cab 21.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-20 10:30:30
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I'm the wrong side of The Divide for that, but I'll wait and see what Andrew and the internal folk come back with, don't want to attack on too many fronts at once.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to