General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 22-Jan-20 15:07:25
Print Post

ESPCK Exchange - New cabinets, fibre laid, now what?

[link to this post]

Hi.

Last summer, Openreach added new cabinets to the Penicuik ESPCK exchange (cab 21 specifically), which is only a short distance from home, instead of the several miles to the existing.

All the cabinets are in, the fibres are in place, even the little yellow signs are tacked to every pole. Last I was told, these were due to be in service by the end of 2019, which has of course been and gone without any more signs of activity.

Does anyone have any means to find out what the current timeline is? It usually takes a couple of months for the Scottish govt. to respond, and it's obviously third-hand by the time I get to see any estimates.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 23-Jan-20 09:47:51
Print Post

Re: ESPCK Exchange - New cabinets, fibre laid, now what?

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Cab 21 is live and accepting orders. Does dslchecker confirm your line is via cab 21?

Edited by witchunt (Thu 23-Jan-20 09:48:49)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-20 08:54:08
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

My line is on 11, but miles out in the sticks. smile

I'm certain 21 was the number used on the roadworks permissions, I'll see if I can find those again.

Edit - can't find them without downloading the entire Scottish 2019 archive for roadworks permissions! laugh I'll have a look at the cabinet and see if there's an identifier on it.

Edited by shtu (Fri 24-Jan-20 14:30:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Sat 25-Jan-20 22:20:02
Print Post

Interesting. It's definitely cabinet 21 that has been installed nearby - it's stencilled on the front of it!

I feel a phone call coming on, 21 is roughly 5 miles closer than 11.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 25-Jan-20 22:31:40
Print Post

CodeLook says Cab 21 services only 33 properties across the following 2 postcodes

16% of EH46 7BG (also served by Cab 9 and 11)
25% of EH46 7BQ (also served by Cab 4 , 6 and 11)

Edited by dect (Sat 25-Jan-20 22:48:25)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-20 09:35:33
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

21 was only installed to provide service to nearby properties. If the OP is still some distance away then that explains why their lines is still from cab 11
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-20 09:55:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by witchunt:
21 was only installed to provide service to nearby properties. If the OP is still some distance away then that explains why their lines is still from cab 11
I couldn't work out if those 33 properties were previously a subset of another cab or previously EO.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-20 11:14:13
Print Post

I'm 300m away, there's only 3 properties closer.

I'm in EH46 7BD.

Edit - just for fun, tried the checks across the usual suspects,

ScotGuv's checker, using phone number - "Your cabinet is live but you are too far from the cabinet to see any increase. Your premises has already been connected to a fibre enabled cabinet, but your speeds are less than 24mbps."

Openreach, using address - "we’ll be upgrading your area to Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) soon."

BT Retail's "upgrade my broadband", using bt account - Offers an upgrade to Halo 2, ie, FTTC.

Hmm, interesting call when I get in work on Monday.

Edited by shtu (Sun 26-Jan-20 11:32:49)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-20 11:26:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by shtu:
I'm 300m away, there's only 3 properties closer.

I'm in EH46 7BD.
Sadly you're not in one of the postcodes Cab 21 reportedly serves. The fact that its only 300m away is sadly not relevant as you would need a network rearrangement for your property to be fed from it.

Edit: Interesting just checked the BT DSL checker and it says some properties in EH46 7BD are on cab 21 although not all of them.

Edited by dect (Sun 26-Jan-20 12:15:29)

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Jan-20 11:45:48
Print Post

Ta. I'll see what they have to say on Monday, as one route seems to suggest it is order-able. Maybe they're only doing the network change as and when people ask for an upgrade, the existing cable is right on the same path.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-20 12:03:02
Print Post

I'll see what they have to say on Monday, as one route seems to suggest it is order-able.
Please report back how you get on as it will be very interesting.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-20 09:29:55
Print Post

Well, ordering people came back to me today,

"
Thank you for reaching out to us.

This is to inform you that we have run some tests on your account and found that fibre is not yet available in your area.

Please feel free to write back to us if you have any further queries.
"

So, best guess is I can see an upgrade option as cabinet 11 is FTTC, but the distance isn't checked until an order is placed. I've written back, asking them what is going on with cabinet 21. smile

Edited by shtu (Tue 28-Jan-20 09:30:55)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 28-Jan-20 10:01:29
Print Post

Sorry too hear that, can I make a suggestion?

Bring up the BT DSL Checker for your postcode and go through each property and find out which ones are connected to cab 21 rather than cab 11 (or another cab) as it may make more sense once you have this information.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jan-20 10:09:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
Sorry too hear that, can I make a suggestion?

Bring up the BT DSL Checker for your postcode and go through each property and find out which ones are connected to cab 21 rather than cab 11 (or another cab) as it may make more sense once you have this information.
That postcode checker does not report FTTC/FTTP/G.Fast availability. Nor information for specific addresses.

You have to use the Address option and enter just the postcode in that, rather than filling in an address. That gives the drop-down list you are referring to smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 28-Jan-20 10:16:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You have to use the Address option and enter just the postcode in that, rather than filling in an address. That gives the drop-down list you are referring to smile.
Thanks, thats what I was trying to say but you explained it a lot better than me smile

Edited by dect (Tue 28-Jan-20 10:16:46)

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-20 15:34:56
Print Post

I'll have a play with the checker when I get time.

I can see I'm back to nagging ScotGuv, orders team are stonewalling me,

"
This is to inform you that, we got your request and we have checked and found the speed has not been increased in your area, once it will upgraded then we will let you know about it, so don't worry.
"
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jan-20 21:05:25
Print Post

I'll have a play with the checker when I get time.

I can see I'm back to nagging ScotGuv, orders team are stonewalling me,

"
This is to inform you that, we got your request and we have checked and found the speed has not been increased in your area, once it will upgraded then we will let you know about it, so don't worry.
"
Which can be summarised as Go away you nuisance. We'll do what we decide when we want to, and until then it's none of your business.

Just wait and shut up.

Heh!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 10:30:58
Print Post

That's not going to happen.

My neighbour, 100m away and USING THE SAME OVERHEAD POLES AND CABLE that I'm on,

"is served by Cabinet 21"

I've checked about 6 addresses nearby, and it looks like I'm the only person in the immediate area that hasn't been connected.

Is it 'cos I is staff?
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 11:10:20
Print Post

shut

If you are staff with an official/service line rather than a 'customer' line it may well be the reason.

Otherwise it is a data error and needs effort to chase through the system. It may also be that if the cab is a AIO there weren't enough connections to fit everybody on so some decisions had to be made and you got the bum decision. Some times Andrew can help with data errors but will need all the detail for surrounding properties.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 11:42:16
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

It's an "employee benefit" one, not a business need, but that does occur to me too. If the planning was "shift all the retail customers", may have been missed.

However, I've definitely got the [censored] - more than a mile further out, along the same road and cable run, is a cluster of cottages, which are all served off Cabinet 21.

So - BT has created a little broadband blackspot, just for me. smile
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 11:44:07
Print Post

I can give examples, but don't know if posting publicly is acceptable.

I have loads of example addresses that can be used, now I know what I'm looking for.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-20 12:09:00
Print Post

Email me [email protected] and can pester...

Need your address, plus the address of the property on same pole that can order. If you can spot safely the DP number on the pole that helps to avoid confusion.

All in Ones if full would show as capacity and waiting list messaging. Possibly things are waiting on a live to live migration if you are on a very slow VDSL2 service currently, no idea what you are using now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 12:51:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll put some stuff together and send it over.

I'm currently still on ADSL, via (the wrong) cabinet 11. smile
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 13:46:39
Print Post

It's deffo some sort of data error.

dslchecker <by postcode and address> = Cab 21
dslchecker <by phone number> = Cab 11

Neither result shows VDSL info.

I'll finish putting data together, and send it over. smile
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 14:06:05
Print Post

Check against the DPs if you can. Ive a feeling your DP has been missed out in the rearrangement
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 14:08:48
Print Post

That wont be the cause of it. Lines are rearranged on a per DP basis.
Your still a retail customer anyway.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 15:15:24
Print Post

shtu

Employee benefit is still a retail line so should have been covered, if you are the only person on the DP it could have been missed, as Witchunt says. If there are others from the DP they should all have been done.

If you are the only one the extra distance may mean that you wouldn't get enough benefit and therefore haven't been moved. ( under about 15Mb result)
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 15:40:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by kitcat:
if you are the only person on the DP it could have been missed

If by "DP" we mean "Telegraph Pole", I think this is it - streetview is showing the neighbours are on a different pole from me, and only my house is fed by the pole outside. However, none of the overhead stuff has changed when the cabinet was installed, though they did run fibre overhead past my house and beyond.

Looking at the distance plus the DSLChecker data (did you know my postcode has 90 addresses? I do now!), a move onto the same cabinet as all my immediate neighbours had would move me from 1.8Mb-ish to 80Mb. You can see why I'm narked! smile

I will get the IDs off a few poles tonight and write it all up. I now have a Massive Spreadhseet - as I say, I'm the only address in that postcode that shows as connected via Cab 21 (I'm not), but has no VDSL data.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 16:06:59
Print Post

If you are Openreach you could try posting on Workplace, or try whatever the friends and family helpline is called now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jan-20 16:42:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by kitcat:
if you are the only person on the DP it could have been missed

If by "DP" we mean "Telegraph Pole", I think this is it - streetview is showing the neighbours are on a different pole from me, and only my house is fed by the pole outside. However, none of the overhead stuff has changed when the cabinet was installed, though they did run fibre overhead past my house and beyond.
Earlier you said:-
My neighbour, 100m away and USING THE SAME OVERHEAD POLES AND CABLE that I'm on,

"is served by Cabinet 21
(Your capitals, not mine smile). Which is correct? Or is yours last in the chain and 100m was too far for a dropwire?

An overhead fibre might be what is serving the new cabinet. It wouldn't be directly relevant.

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 19:12:43
Print Post

That was badly worded, but I've been out with my torch and my Big Coat, and I can explain further. smile Hopefully this isn't too ranty, but having spent a couple of hours mapping this out, I'm more than a bit surprised.

The below is based on the address checks (and some number checks) I've done for each property.

Imagine a long, straight road in the middle of nowhere, with the cabinet on the left hand side, along with all the telegraph poles.

The cables are underground until they reach this new cabinet, which is at the place where the lines change from underground to overhead. The poles have been in for as long as I've lived here, and carry large multipair cables, plus small junction boxes for the drops. There was no noticeable change to the overhead copper when the cabinet went in.

The first pole is marked DP309. The rest with only a number.

There is an underground cable across the road I think, leading to about 12 properties, several hundred metres away. They can all get VDSL, 80Mb.

30m along the road, pole 1 has a junction, and a dropwire to the 1 house on the other side of the road. They can get VDSL, 80Mb.

Pole 2 is about 20m further, and there is a T junction here. There is a cable that branches off, to follow that road. The house several hundred metres along that road can get VDSL, 80Mb.

Pole 3 is 30m further, and is just a pole.

Pole 4 is the same.

Pole 5 has 2 dropwires across the road. Can get VDSL 80Mb. This is my immediate neighbour.

Every property up to this point shows VDSL, 80Mb

Pole 6 is 50m further, and is "mine". Total distance back to Cab 21 and DP309 = 300m. I'm actually connected to Cab 11, about 5-6 miles away.

Up to here, everything except my address is VDSL, 80Mb.

The overhead cables and poles continue along this road for about 800m to Pole 14, and 1A on the other side of the road. All the properties here can get VDSL, around 50Mb

I've crosschecked address\phone number for several of my neighbours, including people further away, and they all have Cab 21 and VDSL in both checkers.

On the face of it, the whole thing makes no sense. So much so, I'm drawing a picture to send with my spreadsheet. smile

Edited by shtu (Wed 29-Jan-20 19:14:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jan-20 21:17:27
Print Post

Good work smile !

That's almost exactly what is requested in this post. The actual number and address of course as well, and preferably if you can get them your pole number and the preceding one as he rrequests. Go to it smile.

I think Andrew will get it sorted for you with that info. He's pretty good at it!

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jan-20 21:42:19
Print Post

Yeah, I've got a few sample number\address\pole combos to send over too. I'd post it here but y'know, internet.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, you've saved months of Q+A via Scotguv.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 22:12:19
Print Post

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, you've saved months of Q+A via Scotguv.
Good luck, hopefully with the help of Andrew you can get it sorted so you can get VDSL via Cab 21
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 30-Jan-20 08:58:09
Print Post

Looks to me like your DP has been missed out and yours is the only line on it.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jan-20 11:05:31
Print Post

Certainly sounds feasible, but my walk round last night only found DP309, right next to the cabinet, where the cables change to overhead. Even the ones several hundred metres further away than me all seem to be via this one.

(But of course, this is just based on what I can see.)

Andrew's got an email inbound, we'll see what he says once he's stopped laughing. smile
Standard User dect
(experienced) Thu 30-Jan-20 11:42:40
Print Post

Certainly sounds feasible, but my walk round last night only found DP309, right next to the cabinet, where the cables change to overhead. Even the ones several hundred metres further away than me all seem to be via this one.

(But of course, this is just based on what I can see.)
Sounds to me there is one DP (on your pole) and that feeds dis-cases on the other poles.

Edit: Just like you would have in an office block, DP in basement and dis-cases on each floor)

Edited by dect (Thu 30-Jan-20 11:50:01)

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-20 09:32:16
Print Post

Well, last week's grumble internally has yielded little so far,

"
Thanks for your response.

I am sorry for the inconvenience faced, I have raised this to the concerned department and this will take 7 working day. We will contact you back on 12.02.2020 to check the update and proceed accordingly.
"

Maybe I'm cynical, but I suspect that on the 12th I'll get another email saying "You can't have it". Will keep you posted.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 03-Feb-20 10:11:51
Print Post

If you are staff have you tried making contact with the local engineering team manager (for maybe a site visit)? he wont necessarily sort it for you but may add his voice in support that you should be on cab 21.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-20 10:30:30
Print Post

I'm the wrong side of The Divide for that, but I'll wait and see what Andrew and the internal folk come back with, don't want to attack on too many fronts at once.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Feb-20 17:45:33
Print Post

Andrew emailed me earlier. Based on that I went to DSLchecker, and fed in my phone number,

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 79 20 19 78 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 79 20 19 78 Available Available --

What a result! laugh

Employee are due to get back to me tomorrow with an update, I'll see if they will agree to progress an order now.

Many thanks to everyone that's helped get this progressed, especially Andrew.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Feb-20 18:15:07
Print Post

Brilliant. Presumably also showing as cab 21 on the line above the table?

The number of such problems database errors Andrew has had corrected must run into several hundreds over the years smile. Well worth his OBE just for that!

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Feb-20 21:10:45
Print Post

Brilliant. Presumably also showing as cab 21 on the line above the table?

Yes. Both address and line searches now show as Cab 21, and the line shows all the VDSL stats, so I reckon that should allow an order now.

The number of such problems database errors Andrew has had corrected must run into several hundreds over the years smile. Well worth his OBE just for that!

Absolutely! laugh

I'll see how things go with placing an order.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Feb-20 08:27:25
Print Post

I'll see how things go with placing an order.

Better than that laugh ,

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

We are glad to inform you that fibre is now available at your property. I have placed an order to upgrade your broadband. Order reference is *******. Order completion date is for 19/02/2020. You will receive a smart hub with this package. An engineer appointment has been scheduled for 19/02/2020 between 13:00-18:00. Engineer will be visiting your property to complete the connection work.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 12-Feb-20 08:58:30
Print Post

Fantastic smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 12-Feb-20 10:21:56
Print Post

That's good. However, I'd be quite surprised if you have an engineer visit for FTTC.

Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Feb-20 10:57:23
Print Post

I don't know how that part works, but at the moment I must be on Cabinet 11 for ADSL - with the sync speeds I have there's no way I am on a DSLAM 300m away, so I'd guess 21 is a box of VDSL DSLAM and nothing else. If that change involves snips and repatching, dunno. If an OR bod shows up I'll try and find out what I can.

However, on to the more serious question - preferred biccies for Openreach, just in case? smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 12-Feb-20 11:26:36
Print Post

EDIT: I typo'ed below by stating "The 11...".
I of course meant the new 21.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 21 is either a PCP or more likely an AIO (All-in-One). You are clearly on it. See the pictures on this rather dated page. The two "128"s are AIOs.

Whether it is one of those or there is a separate FTTC cabinet near to it with the DSLAM, the DSLAM in it has no effect whatsoever on your ADSLx, which still comes from the one in the exchange via the PCP connections. It is only on FTTC that the local DSLAM comes into the circuit. See this similarly old page.

The engineer will make the switch in the PCP or AOI, depending which it is.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 12-Feb-20 16:54:25)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 14:53:13
Print Post

When on ADSL your line runs right through the PCP cabinet to the exchange.

When you upgrade to FTTC the engineer connects your line to the fibre cabinet via tie pairs running between the PCP and fibre cabinet.

No visit to the property is usually required.

You should already be on cabinet 21. You will have (or should have) been connected to 21 at the same time everyone else was.
It's usually just that the database isn't correctly updated.

It's possible you were overlooked and are now being connected to cabinet 21.
It still shouldn't need an OpenReach visit at the property.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 15:35:00
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Indeed, in all the excitement about VDSL cabinets I'd completely forgotten that the ADSL kit is exchange-based, until you and Roberto reminded me.

The only thing that could still trigger a visit is that they think I don't have an NTE5, though I'd be surprised.

Router despatched, counting down to Wednesday. smile I know I'm overexcited, but it's been almost 15 years of nagging to get to this stage.

The one-and-only downside to this upgrade is that I lose the ability to just hook a car battery to the router on the rare occasion we have an extended power cut.

Used to be almost a weekly occurrence out here, now maybe 1-2 times a year, though it was great on the odd occasion we've been snowed in and without mains power for several days, but been able to continue working from home.

Small generator to run the boiler and some other bits, small inverter for delicate mains stuff, car battery for the router = business as usual.

I feel a cheap data SIM in the offing - though of course, the only network I get out here is Vodafone! laugh
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 15:42:25
Print Post

All FTTC cabinets have batteries that kick in in the event of a power cut.
Your car battery trick should be no different.

Not been a huge amount of #penisnow this year laugh (local gag). Can still see plenty on the Pentlands from my window.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 16:13:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
All FTTC cabinets have batteries that kick in in the event of a power cut.
Your car battery trick should be no different.

It's for the odd occasions where it's more than an hour or two, past the life of the cabinet batteries. Pretty rare occurrence now - last snow-in we had was 4 days or so, and the power stayed on right through.

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
#penisnow

Stay Classy, Penicuik. laugh
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Feb-20 16:32:29
Print Post

The cabinet batteries can last a good 8 hours, and should be regularly swapped during an extended power outage.

I've seen a number of cases where the DSLAM has lost power and excluding the 5 minute downtime to change the batteries there was no downtime for the users involved.

I have also read stories of DSLAM batteries lasting only 4 hours.

Battery time on the DSLAM obviously depends on how much power it is using, which goes up with the number of users connected to it.
Standard User shtu
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Feb-20 18:03:40
Print Post

Well, today was The Day.

Openreach bloke turned up, had a quick look in the house to see what he was faced with, went off to the cabinet, then back to the house to install a new master socket. All done in under an hour.

And the results?

Before
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9033375015

After
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9054186968

Syncing at 77-78 Mbps. What a result!

Many, many thanks to everyone that's offered advice and assistance, and Kudos to Andrew for his ability to overturn "computer says no" responses. laugh
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Feb-20 18:53:38
Print Post

Excellent.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 19-Feb-20 19:03:24
Print Post

shut

Welcome to the modern world!

Now don't go trying to download the internet all at once, there is plenty of time to pick and choose smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to