User comments on ISPs
  >> Demon Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Nov-10 18:40:35
Print Post

Re: Demon prioritising traffic at expense of HomeOffice user

[re: alangl52] [link to this post]

I think you have two problems.

The Demon congestion is one, that only migration would solve. Maybe the C & W upgrade, but from what I see here the Demon C & W is nothing like as good as the other ISPs who sell their own packages using C & W Wholesale. In the same way as for many people there are better ISPs on BT Wholesale than BT Broadband.

The second one is what you just homed in on, the errors.

The FECs do not slow things down, the others do just a fraction. As yarwell implies, the only one to worry about is those local error seconds. As you say it is possible if errors were occurring during the sync that could explain the lower speed.

I think that rate of error seconds points to a problem at your end. Have you changed anything around recently, or replaced anything electical or electronic - not necessarily phone-line connected. Though obviously anything connected to the line is first to consider.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Wed 10-Nov-10 19:53:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What's the difference between Local & Remote error seconds, please?
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Tue 23-Nov-10 15:56:43
Print Post

Well, it's goodbye to Demon after 15 years as a loyal customer: I'm moving to O2 at the end of the month. Although I feel that it is Demon who have left me, rather than the other way around. Sad, really.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gfendle
(newbie) Sat 27-Nov-10 16:51:48
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Been a long time since I've checked this thread, and it's interesting to note that little has changed with Demon since my last visit. The gentle decline of what was once the only ISP in the country worth choosing if you needed something beyond the basics.

This time round I've been with them for five years, most of those on a business (cost not class it has be said) connection, but I've had enough.

Something else you need to know before moving across to the business service is that it IS NOT as advertised a 24/7 dedicated UK support, but in fact only Monday to Friday 9 to 6 support

Confirmed. I've tried challenging them on this more than once, but as ever you get the runaround on the phone.

Long story short: I've had connection issues for about 18 months now. Three engineer visits to my property, too. The first found nothing wrong, the second changed some BT wiring, so no charge. The third changed my faceplate after I'd specifically asked him not too after the previous engineer told me my internal wiring was clean, resulting in a charge from Demon which, a year later, I'm still refusing to pay. The reason I'm refusing to pay is obvious, but it's made worse by the fact that I've asked Demon to detail what repairs were made, when, and how they improved the service. They can't answer the first, they've given me three dates for the second, and the third is moot because I still have problems with poor transfer rates during the day, even though I'm paying through the nose for 'priority' traffic and support.

All of the engineers have told me I should be able sync at around 6Mb (I used to regularly get 5.5Mb until the problems started last year) but now I get around 4.5Mb. I could live with that if it weren't for the fact that - as of the time of writing - I'm trying to rsync some data down from a remote server at a staggering rate of c. 48Kb/s. They only way to get more data through the pipe is to make multiple connections (makes sense given the congestion issues outlined on this thread) via FTP. I've queried this with Demon as recently as two weeks ago, but the best they could come up with was some wooly excuse about a stale connection. They couldn't, however, offer up an explanation as to why I can [sometimes] get c. 420Kb/s if I download data overnight (after midnight).

I've got more documentary evidence of their lies than I care to mention, but the bottom line is this: I've had enough. They don't care what they tell you, and they don't care about your problems. Everything that is wrong with your connection is your fault, or it's BT's fault. They've never ONCE admitted there may be a problem with their own network. Not. Once.

So, like others who are leaving them, I'll be moving away this side of the New Year. Enough is enough, and they can kiss my backside for the engineer fees, too.
Standard User GStadium
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 16:39:58
Print Post

I had the same issues as alangl52, and Demon showed no real interest until I asked for my MAC. I was particularly annoyed that the HomeOffice 8000 connection was being advertised at £2 per month less than they'd kept debiting from me. For slightly less than I was paying Demon, I could get Be Broadband's top of the range product and a potential speed of 14Mb, as opposed to the average of just over 2Mb from Demon's "up to 8Mb" feed on a wired connection with an iPlate, good S/N ratios and a line profile of 7Mb.

I had to be assertive with Demon when they tried to persuade me to stay and say bluntly "TOO LATE". I've signed up with Be. Activation is due next week and I'm hoping for a considerable improvement.

John H, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK

Edited by GStadium (Thu 20-Jan-11 16:40:49)

Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 18:24:59
Print Post

[re: GStadium] [link to this post]

I found that I got their attention by complaining to the ISPA. They forwarded the complaint to Demon's head office and someone from customer service got in touch. She was at least a human being who responded to what I had to say, rather than giving me the runaround as the regular 'tech support' folks had done.
I'm very happy with O2 (and Be by extension).
Standard User eddieh
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 11:43:46
Print Post

[re: GStadium] [link to this post]

I am also having problems with Demon speed. I have HomeOffice 8000.

The router connects at about 4700 kbps and this is fine as far as I am concerned.
During the latter part of 2010 I was getting speeds up to 3.5-4.0 Mbps. Again this was fine.

Today 24/1/11 at 11:32 I am now getting 373kbps upload and 382 kbps download. What is really interesting is that I use Newsrover and when I download large files I can set the number of connections to 40. Then Newsrover shows that I am getting a total aggregated download of 4.7 Mbps. So there seems to be no problem with the local BT loop. There cannot be much contention on that.

I didn't bother phoning Demon but sent an email to say that the downlaod speed was unacceptable since it was preventing me and my wife from using the Internet for business transactions. It keeps timing out. I got an almost immediate phone call back just now to say that there IS a problem and an engineer is working on it. I asked for an expected resolution time and, as expected, they could not give me one. I assume the resolution is the change over to the C&W exchanges and, since we are way out in the country, this will take many months/years.

I am now looking to go elsewhere even though I still have 12 months of this contract to run. The current service is unusable.
Standard User GStadium
(newbie) Fri 04-Feb-11 17:32:39
Print Post

[re: eddieh] [link to this post]

I've now been with Be just over a week and don't regret leaving Demon at all. So far, the difference has been amazing. My average speed shows in speed tests as 9-10Mbps. I was supposedly getting about 2 with Demon (despite having a perfectly good line and paying for "up to 8Mb"). Downloads now are often 10 times faster - files that took half an hour are here in about 3 minutes! I've used Be's call centre once, I was put through after about a minute and the person at the other end was actually helpful! And all this for a few pence less than I had to pay Demon. smile

John H, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to