User comments on ISPs
  >> Demon Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burk
(newbie) Mon 04-Oct-10 15:28:41
Print Post

Demon prioritising traffic at expense of HomeOffice users

[link to this post]

Since early September, I've been having serious daytime issues with Demon. I'm on their (legacy) HomeOffice 8000 ADSLMax product as our exchange isn't C&W LLU enabled. Basically from about 09:30 to 18:30 weekdays, my latency increases massively, and packet loss shoots up. From 18:00 and over weekends it's almost as good as it used to be.

I initially logged this as a fault way back in September, and have been chasing this with the abysmal Indian callcentre almost daily - all to no avail. Demon never phone back when they promise, you can never speak with anyone other than the useless drone who just reads from a script.

I have been monitoring my link with PingPlotter standard into www.demon.net (not even to an outside domain which gives worse stats), and have some cracking graphs that show as soon as 'normal business hours' start, I loose effectively 90% of my bandwidth due to high latency and lost packets - yet demon claim there is no issue.

So, today I phoned their Business Sales line as a prospective customer, and the sales guy I spoke with in Glasgow admitted that they will effectively 'chuck' Resedential and HomeOffice ADSL users off (he said their packets are discarded to make way for the business traffic) to prioritise business 8000 and business pro (and Gamer) users.

To say this is shoddy and potentially fradulent practice is an understatement. The only thing Demon have offered me is to upgrade to their Business package which will miraculously make things right, though they can't GUARANTEE this, and there is no 'cooling off' or backing out period in case it doesn't resolve the issue ... all at a price increase of an additional £20+VAT/month (total £40+VAT/month) to be locked in on another 12 month contract.

I now have a MAC - just trying to find an alternative ISP but after 15 years with Demon, it just isn't an easy decision to make. So, any suggestions anyone?
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Wed 06-Oct-10 20:25:32
Print Post

Re: Demon prioritising traffic at expense of HomeOffice user

[re: burk] [link to this post]

For many months now I've been having speed problems on Homeoffice 8000. With a good ADSL line speed (7Mbps) and decent BT Speedtester speed (3Mbps) I get 2Mbps download (ThinkBroadband and Broadband Choices end-to-end speed tests) - but only at nights and weekends. During the business day I get 0.2-0.5Mbps. After stringing me along for many weeks, the script bunnies on the Indian help desk have now asserted that, because the BT speedtest is adequate, they are unable to escalate the issue to the network engineers. I too am a 15-year customer, and I've been vary patient and understanding, but now I'm angry and frustrated.
Standard User burk
(newbie) Wed 06-Oct-10 21:04:08
Print Post

[re: alangl52] [link to this post]

Suggest you download 'PingPlotter Standard' (30 day free trial should be enough - don't go with the freeware version as it isn't as detailed) - run a constant test to www.demon.net with sampling set to 'unlimited', trace interval at 1 second and samples to include 'all'. Then set up each hop to show a timeline graph (there will only be about 8 hops) and run for 24/48 hours. The graph will show latency (round trip ping time) and also will show the number of dropped packets, both superimposed on the timeline.

It was damning in my case .... from between 08:30 to 09:30, latency would rise and packet loss increase. Some packet loss running at 40%

I logged a complaint with the ISPA (www.ispa.org.uk) on Monday 4th, and miraculously had a phone call from one of the THUS CMC techies based in the UK - he asked me to email the pingplotter traces to him which I did - my daytime packet loss has (at the moment) improved quite a lot, though latency is still quite high.

Suggest you log a complaint via ISPA (Demon are a member) and Demon then get 5 days to reply to the complaint.

I'm still not 100% convinced they have resolved my issue, but it looks more hopeful. I am considering switching to their Business Broadband package (they have given me a much reduced rate as I threatened to leave and report them to OTELO and OFCOM) as this gives you at least a UK support number - but I don't want to pull the trigger on this and be stuck with a 12 month contract until I am happy the issue on my serice is resolved.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User docn
(newbie) Sun 10-Oct-10 17:07:33
Print Post

Similar problems here - started just under a fortnight ago. Demon blaming everyone but themselves, as usual. Speed's fine first thing in the morning (2.7mbps) but tails off as the day goes by. Afternoon/evening (including weekends) it's down to around 0.3/0.4 (ping currently 171ms).

This was once a very good ISP and now it's been trashed by Cable and Wireless.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Oct-10 12:44:14
Print Post

[re: docn] [link to this post]

For almost ten years now, people have been saying Demon is going downhill - its obviously a very large hill

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burk
(newbie) Tue 12-Oct-10 12:14:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's only when you get an issue that you realise just how bad things have got, and what a huge hill Demon are now at the bottom of!

I haven't had to phone demon support often since becoming a customer back in 1995 as mostly the 'outages' have been short-lived. I no longer use Demon SMTP service for outgoing emails as it was unreliable 6 or 7 years ago (use AuthSMTP), and havent used Demon webspace for over 10 years. I use OpenDNS for my DNS lookups since Demon DNS servers started acting up, so I only really use them as my carrier.

Demon used to be truly unlimited, now it's a measly 60Gb - even BT Option 3 is 300Gb. They won't use BT Wholesale for ADSL2+ so you have to have a C&W LLU exchange to benefit from this technology, and it appears they now prioritise business and games traffic to the detriment of their cheap (hardly considering what you can get elsewhere) HomeOffice package. And as for their 'technical support' ... I mean, I have never agreed with offshoring as a principle, but their Indian callcentre is truly something else. Think 'phonejacker' and you'll be starting off along the right lines.

As I see it, the only benefit now is their free (included) Fax to Email service and a static IP address, but ISP's such as BE/O2, ZEN etc all offer this too. Oh, and of course the real biggie of the nightmare and angst of changing your email address after 15 years
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Oct-10 12:30:57
Print Post

Was lucky had a free domain as part of the year 2000 ADSL trials, and was able to move domain away when I left in 2001 or was it 2002 - hard to remember. Had been with Demon since 95 prior to that.

My advice is get a domain name that is independent of ISP for email, or is at least portable, and use that. Looks a lot better for business, I find that plumbers vans with [email protected] just seem too tacky.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Wed 13-Oct-10 11:24:34
Print Post

I suggest if you are seriously thinking of a new ISP, you ask in the Which ISP? (Residential) or (Business) forum.

Details of your line stats (see here for help) and expected download/upload amounts would be very useful when you ask.

As MrSaffron says, ISP-independent email (and web hosting) is a good idea. That could be set up immediately and the transfers done while you ponder. You can also continue to read the Demon emails al least until you leave, to ensure you haven't missed notifying anyone that matters.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Thu 14-Oct-10 15:14:45
Print Post

Thanks for the tip. Pingplotter shows that the latency is tolerable, but the packet loss rate is worrying (30-40% at times). Oh, and the throughput gets slower and slower.
Surprisingly, it also shows that occasionally the latency from my laptop to my Speedtouch 585 router (3ft away over Ethernet cable) can get up to 400ms!
Standard User k3nnyc
(newbie) Thu 21-Oct-10 18:51:38
Print Post

I've also complained to Demon about the HomeOffice service, they definitely prioritise the traffic at the expense of HomeOffice users, the sales guy I spoke to was quite happy to admit it.

I've also done a latency test using pingplotter. Ping to www.demon.net for me is averaging ~160ms during the day then around 6pm it drops to ~35ms.

You would be better off either moving ISP completely or at least switch to one of the Business products (e.g. Business 2+). Contention ratio is 1:20 for the business products compared to 1:50 for the HomeOffice plus obviously the Business product has priority during the day.

I've been with Demon close on 10 years now and service just gets worse as time goes by, also the "helpdesk" in India is utterly dire! One more point, they never tell you the product price is going down, I am currently paying £22.99/month for HomeOffice 2+, I could get Business 2+ for less if I took out a new contract!!
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Thu 21-Oct-10 22:42:05
Print Post

[re: k3nnyc] [link to this post]

Contention ratios of 20:1 and 50:1 were removed by BT when they introduced ADSL Max. Business class merely get priority within the BT network now.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Mon 08-Nov-10 17:17:48
Print Post

I complained to the ISP Association: Demon Customer Care (!) in the UK called me a week later, and got a technician onto the case (still Indian, but he seemed to know what he was doing). We ran the usual tests and he concluded what I have been telling them for 3 months - there's something wrong with their infrastructure. [We did a test to a business login username, which was not noticeably better]. Customer Care are now talking of an upgrade to a Business Account, which would get me the other side of the traffic prioritisation barrier (it's a pity about all you other guys still on HomeOffice); but the tests show that wouldn't fix the problem. I said that I would just like them to provide the service that I'm already paying for....
Standard User burk
(newbie) Tue 09-Nov-10 09:21:24
Print Post

Alan,
Go careful at moving across to Business 8000 - it's exactly what I did and it's no better.

This is what I have gleaned so far:

1) There is an issue with the BT IPStream (ADSL MAX) and IPStream Premium (used for the Business 'prioritised' service). It does NOT affect any ADSL2+ C&W LLU customers
2) It's to do with either load balancing on the BT Centrals (the 155Mbps pipes from BT, don't think they use 622Mbps Centrals) OR it's a lack of capacity/headroom on the centrals
3) It's not strictly packet LOSS but more of some packets having latency way outside normal limits (4 or 5 seconds) and then coming back out of sequence. Retries/resends of packets occur, causing more of the same and slowing the link right down.
4) It is not Demon but BT who are looking at resolving this
5) BT have a 50 working hour lead time for each fault, though I have argued that it is the same fault
6) BT works carried out on Sunday 7th at 01:00 made matters worse - confirmed by UK tech support
7) there is no fix time - it will be fixed as and when

Something else you need to know before moving across to the business service is that it IS NOT as advertised a 24/7 dedicated UK support, but in fact only Monday to Friday 9 to 6 support. Out of hours goes to India. Their website claims 24/7 and I am taking this up with several agencies as I believe moving me across to Business 8000 I was mis-sold the product - it costs me significantly more for a service that is absolutely no better than the HomeOffice I was on, though you can actually speak to a UK tech support person within the 9-5, M-F AND you get a faster upline speed (wow!).

I believe that Demon are guilty of downgrading the service for old Homeoffice and Business customers who are stuck on the BT IPStream service because I think (from discussions I've had with various people) that when they migrated vast swathes of customers to the C&W product, they then reduced the amount of Centrals they purchased from BTw - now whether they got the calculations wrong and reduced their Centrals capacity too much or whether they made a commercial decision to reduce the number of Centrals by as much as they thought they could get away with without (in their belief) too much of a noticeable impact on customers, I'm not sure. Anyone like to take a bet? After all, their Indian call centre never tell you the truth and will spin any line to get you off the phone. As I discovered, the Indian call centre had never even logged a fault and it was only after I complained via ISPA that a fault was logged. That was back on 12th October!

You may want to note that the Demon Ticket number for this 'fault' is 363196, and you may want to phone up the UK Business Support line to have a chat with someone quoting this number, and saying you've been recommended to move to the Business service but understand there is a major underlying issue with the ADSLMax service. I am not the only business customer that has complained of this, but I'm told that very few people have actually complained/logged a fault. Presumably because most customers are on HomeOffice and can't get past the Indian call centre to get the issue logged.

If anyone else is suffering the same issues which manifest as a really slow connection and large packet loss ( use the BBC IPlayer Diagnostics as it gives you a good real-world speed test - www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics ) then PLEASE ring it in and keep complaining. Only way it will get sorted.

Edited by burk (Tue 09-Nov-10 09:24:09)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 09-Nov-10 09:27:37
Print Post

It's exactly what I did and it's no better

quelle suprise. Sounded like a sales pitch gimmick in the first place. I don't personally believe there's any prioritisation at work but I do believe Demon have congestion problems in office hours.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User burk
(newbie) Tue 09-Nov-10 09:34:49
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Not just office hours - it was grim on Sunday from 4pm until midnight too, and last night, the network didn't 'normalise' until 23:30ish.

I don't think it was strictly 'sales pitch' but a massive lack of understanding of what the issues were - they believed moving me across to IPStream Premium would improve matters without understanding that it was an issue with their Centrals, not congestion/contention on the BT network, which supposedly IPStream Premium should improve on.

But whatever, Demon are being shoddy (that's being polite) and they need to be exposed for what they are....
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Tue 09-Nov-10 12:49:05
Print Post

Thanks for the background Burk: it's very difficult penetrating through the layers of 'customer support' to get at what's really going on. The systems are complex and fault diagnosis and fixing is difficult: having been there I have sympathy with the technicians; and I'm more interested in getting the fault addressed and fixed than in discharging anger. I am sure you are right that the offer to move to a Business account is well meant, but doesn't address the real problem. Having said that, the Indian call centre actively lied to me, claiming that they had escalated the fault when they clearly had not.
I tried using the iPlayer diagnostic as you suggested: surprisingly it shows a streaming speed of 1.3Mbps & Download speed of 2.9Mbps, whereas Thinkbroadband shows (contemporaneously) 210Kbps down and 393Kbps up; and Broadband Choices shows 220Kbps down & 120Kbps up. [The ADSL line speed is 6560/480.] Why would the results be so different?

Looking at the detailed report from my modem, it shows what seems to be a high error rate:-
Uptime: 0 days, 17:24:47
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,560
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 10.12 / 24.87
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 31.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 8.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4,712 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,215,245
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,079
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 141

I read that as a good s/n ratio, but lots of error seconds and FEC/CRC Errors. They would presumably be corrected by the error detection & correction algorithms, but that would cause delay. Am I reading it right?
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Tue 09-Nov-10 13:04:35
Print Post

I agree that it's getting worse: the 'out of hours' window when the performance is a bit better has been getting shorter, from my measurements.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 09-Nov-10 14:57:34
Print Post

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4,712 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,215,245
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,079
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 141

so in 17 hours there were 4,712 seconds with at least one error in (well over an hour).

The 3m FEC errors were mainly fixed by the error correction leaving 2,000 CRC errors.

the downstream sync speed isn't fantastic for 31 dB attenuation, what's your wiring like ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Tue 09-Nov-10 15:14:55
Print Post

The home wiring is a bit tree-like, with five devices and a number of empty sockets about the house. The modem usually syncs at 7150 Kbps, but I note that it has reset itself, presumably because it has hit some threshold, presumably the error rate.
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Tue 09-Nov-10 16:09:38
Print Post

Demon Customer Support (in the UK) now tell me that there is indeed a problem in the infrastructure, and that Demon can't fix it until the C&W LLU upgrade is deployed to my exchange. This chimes with what burk says. According to SamKnows.com, O2/BE & TalkTalk are already deployed there....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Nov-10 18:40:35
Print Post

I think you have two problems.

The Demon congestion is one, that only migration would solve. Maybe the C & W upgrade, but from what I see here the Demon C & W is nothing like as good as the other ISPs who sell their own packages using C & W Wholesale. In the same way as for many people there are better ISPs on BT Wholesale than BT Broadband.

The second one is what you just homed in on, the errors.

The FECs do not slow things down, the others do just a fraction. As yarwell implies, the only one to worry about is those local error seconds. As you say it is possible if errors were occurring during the sync that could explain the lower speed.

I think that rate of error seconds points to a problem at your end. Have you changed anything around recently, or replaced anything electical or electronic - not necessarily phone-line connected. Though obviously anything connected to the line is first to consider.

Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Wed 10-Nov-10 19:53:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What's the difference between Local & Remote error seconds, please?
Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Tue 23-Nov-10 15:56:43
Print Post

Well, it's goodbye to Demon after 15 years as a loyal customer: I'm moving to O2 at the end of the month. Although I feel that it is Demon who have left me, rather than the other way around. Sad, really.
Standard User gfendle
(newbie) Sat 27-Nov-10 16:51:48
Print Post

Been a long time since I've checked this thread, and it's interesting to note that little has changed with Demon since my last visit. The gentle decline of what was once the only ISP in the country worth choosing if you needed something beyond the basics.

This time round I've been with them for five years, most of those on a business (cost not class it has be said) connection, but I've had enough.

Something else you need to know before moving across to the business service is that it IS NOT as advertised a 24/7 dedicated UK support, but in fact only Monday to Friday 9 to 6 support

Confirmed. I've tried challenging them on this more than once, but as ever you get the runaround on the phone.

Long story short: I've had connection issues for about 18 months now. Three engineer visits to my property, too. The first found nothing wrong, the second changed some BT wiring, so no charge. The third changed my faceplate after I'd specifically asked him not too after the previous engineer told me my internal wiring was clean, resulting in a charge from Demon which, a year later, I'm still refusing to pay. The reason I'm refusing to pay is obvious, but it's made worse by the fact that I've asked Demon to detail what repairs were made, when, and how they improved the service. They can't answer the first, they've given me three dates for the second, and the third is moot because I still have problems with poor transfer rates during the day, even though I'm paying through the nose for 'priority' traffic and support.

All of the engineers have told me I should be able sync at around 6Mb (I used to regularly get 5.5Mb until the problems started last year) but now I get around 4.5Mb. I could live with that if it weren't for the fact that - as of the time of writing - I'm trying to rsync some data down from a remote server at a staggering rate of c. 48Kb/s. They only way to get more data through the pipe is to make multiple connections (makes sense given the congestion issues outlined on this thread) via FTP. I've queried this with Demon as recently as two weeks ago, but the best they could come up with was some wooly excuse about a stale connection. They couldn't, however, offer up an explanation as to why I can [sometimes] get c. 420Kb/s if I download data overnight (after midnight).

I've got more documentary evidence of their lies than I care to mention, but the bottom line is this: I've had enough. They don't care what they tell you, and they don't care about your problems. Everything that is wrong with your connection is your fault, or it's BT's fault. They've never ONCE admitted there may be a problem with their own network. Not. Once.

So, like others who are leaving them, I'll be moving away this side of the New Year. Enough is enough, and they can kiss my backside for the engineer fees, too.
Standard User GStadium
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 16:39:58
Print Post

I had the same issues as alangl52, and Demon showed no real interest until I asked for my MAC. I was particularly annoyed that the HomeOffice 8000 connection was being advertised at £2 per month less than they'd kept debiting from me. For slightly less than I was paying Demon, I could get Be Broadband's top of the range product and a potential speed of 14Mb, as opposed to the average of just over 2Mb from Demon's "up to 8Mb" feed on a wired connection with an iPlate, good S/N ratios and a line profile of 7Mb.

I had to be assertive with Demon when they tried to persuade me to stay and say bluntly "TOO LATE". I've signed up with Be. Activation is due next week and I'm hoping for a considerable improvement.

John H, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK

Edited by GStadium (Thu 20-Jan-11 16:40:49)

Standard User alangl52
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 18:24:59
Print Post

[re: GStadium] [link to this post]

I found that I got their attention by complaining to the ISPA. They forwarded the complaint to Demon's head office and someone from customer service got in touch. She was at least a human being who responded to what I had to say, rather than giving me the runaround as the regular 'tech support' folks had done.
I'm very happy with O2 (and Be by extension).
Standard User eddieh
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 11:43:46
Print Post

[re: GStadium] [link to this post]

I am also having problems with Demon speed. I have HomeOffice 8000.

The router connects at about 4700 kbps and this is fine as far as I am concerned.
During the latter part of 2010 I was getting speeds up to 3.5-4.0 Mbps. Again this was fine.

Today 24/1/11 at 11:32 I am now getting 373kbps upload and 382 kbps download. What is really interesting is that I use Newsrover and when I download large files I can set the number of connections to 40. Then Newsrover shows that I am getting a total aggregated download of 4.7 Mbps. So there seems to be no problem with the local BT loop. There cannot be much contention on that.

I didn't bother phoning Demon but sent an email to say that the downlaod speed was unacceptable since it was preventing me and my wife from using the Internet for business transactions. It keeps timing out. I got an almost immediate phone call back just now to say that there IS a problem and an engineer is working on it. I asked for an expected resolution time and, as expected, they could not give me one. I assume the resolution is the change over to the C&W exchanges and, since we are way out in the country, this will take many months/years.

I am now looking to go elsewhere even though I still have 12 months of this contract to run. The current service is unusable.
Standard User GStadium
(newbie) Fri 04-Feb-11 17:32:39
Print Post

[re: eddieh] [link to this post]

I've now been with Be just over a week and don't regret leaving Demon at all. So far, the difference has been amazing. My average speed shows in speed tests as 9-10Mbps. I was supposedly getting about 2 with Demon (despite having a perfectly good line and paying for "up to 8Mb"). Downloads now are often 10 times faster - files that took half an hour are here in about 3 minutes! I've used Be's call centre once, I was put through after about a minute and the person at the other end was actually helpful! And all this for a few pence less than I had to pay Demon. smile

John H, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to