Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 17:37:45
Print Post

Re: Camcorder with time lapse?

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Pity, I think your PowerShot G2 is slightly too old as it uses digic1. Meant to be (Windows) dos compatible though!
Maybe it is, but I'm not wink

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 17:40:58
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by metalhead41:
Just to point out, it is for sale on Amazon etc, and from most good camera shops so no need for import duty smile
That just means it's hidden in the price tongue

I've more-or-less decided on the JVC Everio GZ-HM650, but I'll try to find somewhere local to have a look at one before I commit myself.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-May-12 23:34:48
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

How about controlling it from your Mac using iStopMotion from Boinx?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 10-May-12 00:07:29
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
How about controlling it from your Mac using iStopMotion from Boinx?
I didn't know about that one... as I said earlier, I don't really want to tie the camera to a computer but the camcorder options are looking less attractive as I investigate them further.

The "Home" version looks attractive at $49.99 but it's limited to 960x540 pixels... if I want to use the camera's full 2272x1704 I need the "Pro" version at $499.99 shocked shocked shocked

I'll give it some thought, thanks for the suggestion.

Bill
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-May-12 09:53:10
Print Post

How about a timer remote control for your 40D such as this (& for the princely sum of £12!)

"The problem with stuff that is meant to be idiotproof is that it immediately stimulates the development of new and improved idiots"
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 11-May-12 10:27:10
Print Post

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

I'd looked at the proper Canon unit but it was a bit pricey, that looks more reasonable.

Using the 40D, camera battery life might be an issue for very long elapsed times... an advantage of the G2 is that you charge the batteries in situ, so in effect you can run it from the mains. I've got a battery grip on order for the 40D (for other reasons), that will help with that problem.

I see some of the reviews are less than enthusiastic about the build quality, but for twelve quid it's worth a punt, thanks smile

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 11-May-12 15:28:32
Print Post

Update, for those who may be interested:

More in hope than expectation, I tried hooking the G2 up to the MacBook and running ImageCapture... after a few false starts (mainly due to finger trouble), it worked smile

(The 40D didn't like it- it went into a "busy" loop and stayed there until I switched it off frown)

It's not ideal because of the way the G2 works- it has to be in "playback" mode, and then you've got no control over the camera settings (zoom level, flash on/off etc). But as a trial I pointed it out the window at the cloudscape (fortunately it's fairly windy here today) and let it take a picture every 15 seconds while I watched the second practice for the Spanish Grand Prix smile

Then install the QuickTime 7 player from the Snow Leopard CD, upgrade to Pro and follow the instructions as for the GoPro (thanks metalhead).

So now I have a nice little 24-second time lapse video of the clouds hurtling over me for 90 minutes- happy bunny smile

In a few days when I've got more time I'll check out the trial version of iStopMotion (thanks Ian) and see if that's better for camera control.

Bill
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-May-12 23:17:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by metalhead41:
Just to point out, it is for sale on Amazon etc, and from most good camera shops so no need for import duty smile
That just means it's hidden in the price tongue

I've more-or-less decided on the JVC Everio GZ-HM650, but I'll try to find somewhere local to have a look at one before I commit myself.

I got the HM 435 and i am happy with it for the most part, the controls are a bit fiddly if I want to do manual settings, but video quality si good for what it is. I never tried the time lapse on it, but I may have a go this week since I am off work for a week, I may set it up in town. Saying that you can do a time lapse in a video editor anyway.

Battery life could be better i must admit, going to buy a second battery for it.

the one you are looking at is a few models above mine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to