Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:37:02
Print Post

Re: Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
The 420EX has autozoom, I agree it's pretty handy.
but then you don't tend to use flash with telephoto lenses.
Not sure about that... telephoto at short ranges can be useful if you want to throw the background out of focus. I've done that on some of the occasional portraits that I take, and it can produce a pleasing effect.
I hadn't thought of that. I suppose that auto-zoom really comes into its own with wide-angle shots, when inadequate coverage can be a problem with some flash guns.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:38:55
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Tripod first.
Manfrotto are good. Leaving cost aside, the real trade-off is between sturdiness and weight. You want to be sure that you will be happy lugging the thing around.
Not even sure if an external flash is compatible.
The L310 has a hot shoe to the rear of the built-in flash. It's covered with a clip to protect the contacts.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:56:19
Print Post

I'm being guided by reading photography forums, and I'm well aware that the average photo hobbyist spends more than a few coppers on their hobby.
It's not a cheap hobby, but be careful with those "enthusiast" forums.

A lot of amateurs like showing off the brand names on their fancy kit, and think that if A costs more than B then it must automatically be better.

Possibly some justification for that in things like lenses, but for more run-of-the-mill non-optical stuff look around, don't automatically go for the better-known brands and use value for money as the criterion.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 01:18:18
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Finally, some helpful advice for aspiring amateurs. smile

Ken Rockwell's site is brilliant, btw. wink

Edited by micksharpe (Fri 04-Jan-13 01:21:18)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 01:36:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
A dedicated flash must be your next purchase.
I've changed my mind. Your first accessory should be a UV filter. Screw it on and leave it on. If you want, buy a shoulder bag to keep your camera dry. Leave the rest until you are thoroughly familiar with your camera. I have to admit that I haven't yet bought a dedicated flash for my Pentax K10D. crazy

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 03:13:23
Print Post

I have a shoulder bag, but I'm a backpack sort of person. A shoulder bag is fine if delivering papers, but not if walking for miles. Hence the need for a backpack.

I have a few shots tonight with a small spotting scope tripod. Excellent stuff! smile (Nothing worth posting though).

Not convinced the L310 has a hot shoe. Not seen anything online suggesting it, not is there anything obvious looking at the camera or the manual. A moot point anyway. I have to be good enough to realise the flash is good or bad before I go anywhere near that kind of kit. The experience isn't there yet. smile

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 03:20:53
Print Post

You're right. No external flash. crazy

Standard User mikebear
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-13 07:13:05
Print Post

Congratulations on getting a proper camera.

I know the urge to buy things to go with it is very strong. I've got boxes of stuff I used a couple of times because I convinced myself I had to have it.

My advice is to take loads of pictures but think what you want to achieve before each shot and then see what needs to be done to improve the picture.
Take notes and try other ways to get what you want. Really look at photos that interest you and try to workout why they work and how were they were made and read some books on photography NOT just photographic magazines as they have a vested interest in pleasing their advertisers by making you feel you have to buy something to improve your shots when in fact it's the eyes and brain that you need to use.

Keep your wallet closed for a few months and enjoy one of the best hobbies there is.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 08:46:30
Print Post

Good article, that.

His comments about how much to cart around are a bit one-sided though, biased towards press and action-type photography where you might only have seconds to grab a shot.

I have one large-ish bag that takes nearly everything, I take that with me but it stays in the boot. The camera gets slung around neck and shoulder with (usually) an 18-55mm lens on it and a small bag with a 70-300mm lens, spare batteries etc over the other shoulder. That covers 99% of what I do.

And he's dead right about filters, I forgot to mention those to Camie. They sometimes seem expensive, but they're a lot cheaper than the lens they're protecting!

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:13:58
Print Post

Probably all you need. Make sure the tripod is a decent one. Also consider how you will use it. It you will be taking it out with you a colapsable lightweight one. If only using at home perhaps something a bit more sturdy

AS for a remote trigger you should not ned it. Most have a self timer so you can compose your shot and then take you place in the group or whatever before the shutter goes off
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to