Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:37:48
Print Post

Re: Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Looking at the specs, I don't think this camera has a hotshoe to connect a flashgun, however you may be able to get some basic functionality with a flash that can be fired from another flash...

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40:51
Print Post

My understanding of this is that it is more to do with AF in low light or for metering.

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:58:02
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

You're probably right... you made me go and RTFM tongue

There's a separate lamp (which doubles as the self-timer indicator) for red-eye reduction. Rather than contracting the subject's pupils it diverts their eye-line away from the lens.

The double flash seems to be (mainly? only?) used for flash exposure locking. (That's for Canon of course, Nikon may have differences)

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 11:23:38
Print Post

Not on the L310 - the actual flash is triggered before the full flash and exposure.

If there was a separate flash from a different source the angular difference would be very small and not be enough to remove the red eye effect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 11:55:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Seems like we're all correct:
Using the red-eye reduction capabilities built into many modern cameras. These precede the main flash with a series of short, low-power flashes [Nikon?], or a continuous piercing bright light [Canon?] triggering the pupil to contract. (This should not be confused with the autofocus assist beam, which uses a series of flashes for focus instead.)
I've never seen the red-eye reduction lamp in operation (can't see it from my side tongue) so didn't know how bright it was.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 12:08:54
Print Post

On my various Pentax cameras it is probably around 1/4 of a normal flash ... it needs to be bright enough to cause the pupil contraction but not take too much energy from the flash as it will only have a fraction of a second to recover.

The petax flash uses an IR beam to assist in focussing rather than a white light.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 12:16:21
Print Post

Although possibly more effective than the bright red lamp, another potential problem I see with the white-light pre-flash is that in some people it could trigger a blink reflex.

An exceptionally effective method of red-eye prevention, but probably not what the photographer had in mind!

Different methods, different pros and cons... you pays your money and takes your choice.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 12:20:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
The petax flash uses an IR beam to assist in focussing rather than a white light.
Can't remember if it's infra- or far-red, but my old PowerShot uses that, the 40D uses pre-flashes.

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 14:05:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by MHC:
Can't remember if it's infra- or far-red, but my old PowerShot uses that, the 40D uses pre-flashes.

The problem with white light from pre-flashes is that it can "spook" the subject. IR or far-red of a combination is a little less unsettling.

M H C

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 14:53:30
Print Post

According to the L310 manual:

Pre-flashes are fired several times at low intensity before the main flash to reduce the effects of red-eye.

The flash options are:

Auto
Auto with red-eye reduction
Off
Fill flash
Slow sync (flash with slow shutter for evening and night shots)

The tripod I'll be getting is the Manfrotto MK-394-H, which has a three-way head (see video - the 'large version' at 3:30).

http://vimeo.com/28395780

Also getting Bill's charger and eight Eneloop batteries.

Was also considering:

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/autopole-spirit-level

...but am wondering how it works. In my mind it would be easier to have a plumbline-esc device and ensure the distance between each leg and the line is identical. Also that gadget is for 25mm up, so it would only be for the top-most section of a leg. It might be me, but I get the impression that it only levels legs that at straight up and down (which is kind of silly).

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Fri 04-Jan-13 14:55:47)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to