Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:15:48
Print Post

Re: Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Plays fine in QuickTime tongue

Seems OK to me- the exposure control seems a little slow at tracking- you can see the scene brighten a little at the end of the zoom, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were normal for a non-pro camera.

At around the 9-12 second point - a few changes in exposure.

Overall it looks OK, but lets wait until Camie can post some nice colourful images.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User andygegg
(regular) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:16:01
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Just a thought on tripods - it really depends on what you're going to do. I've used a really cheap one for years for basic studio type work with no probs - it's not pretty but it's good enough! Mainly I do outdoor work - flowers, insects, etc - when a tripod would be totally useless - just a lump to move around. Having said that, I do have several Gorillapods...

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 02:30:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Overall it looks OK, but lets wait until Camie can post some nice colourful images.

There's really nothing here to snap, and the weather, lack of batteries, and opportunity has me knowing it will be a few weeks yet.

However ( smile ), while clearing out my computer room this week, I took the odd snap and tried messing around. Here are the better ones (that being said, they're not all that great). Readme file included to explain a little.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/cpqMFkf0AH/

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 00:20:35
Print Post

Re: A Ha!!!

Now we're getting somewhere!

A few years back I was playing with the idea of getting a proper camera and bought a simple digital photography 101-type book to explore a little. Swotted up on f/stops, shutter speed and ISO settings, and now that I have sussed out this camera a little, I'm on a better footing.

It doesn't have a manual f/stop or manual shutter speed setting as far as I know, so if I want pictures with minimal blur, max out the ISO settings and add light.

So at ISO 6400 it was slightly grainy, but the cat got snapped quit well while playing. I found a balance at ISO 1600 and all the lights on. Nothing too fancy, but far, far better. Time to venture outside as soon as the weather/light/tripod permits.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Jan-13 00:44:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
so if I want pictures with minimal blur, max out the ISO settings and add light.
For the first- only if you have to. Increasing the speed rating will decrease motion blur but increase sensor noise (graininess). I don't like going above about 800ASA if I can avoid it.

For something random (like the cat playing with a toy) it may be your only option, but for something predictable like a high-speed car, aircraft, (some) sporting shots etc then learn how to pan round to follow the action. In fact for some shots a bit of motion blur (on either the subject or background as appropriate) adds markedly to its impact- a picture that's pin-sharp all over can look like a statue.

There are good reasons why most cameras (film or digital) default to something in the region of 100ASA!

eta- all the above is for stills of course. I don't really do moving pictures, and tend to forget that many people do blush

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Sun 06-Jan-13 01:06:57)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:08:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I think part of the problem was that the camera was adjusting the ISO depending on the shot in front of it, but with a view to a still shot. Despite that, there was still some blurring. That also may have accounted for the delay of light change in the vid you saw. The 'auto' setting only goes to ISO 800.

The specs as far as I have seen are:

f3.1 - f5.8

1/1000 - 1s (normal)
4s (firework mode)
1/4000 - 1/60s (sport continuous mode - 15.3 fps - and said mode has the ISO locked between 400 and 3200)

ISO 80 - 6400

I can't wait for the sun to arrive. smile

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jan-13 10:01:37
Print Post

Late to the thread, sorry.

The best advice I have seen in these posts, is to actually go use the thing, see in what way you wish to take photos before you donate a kidney to buy kit.

Weird and wonderful long exposure stuff, like this achieved without a tripod, or this done with no trickery at all.

My son has got a lot of mileage using a cheap lens adaptor which allows him to fit cheap manual focus lenses to his digital camera, and equally using old 35mm stuff like a 70's Olympus Trip off E-bay.

Having the most toys, doesn't always mean you will win ! smile

Standard User JPL
(member) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:18:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The best accessory I have bought for my camera is Adobe Lightroom.
Standard User Old_Git
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jan-13 10:26:02
Print Post

You don't HAVE to add kit! It's up to you, but photography in my humble opinion should be more about having fun and being creative - not financing the lifestyle of rich investors.

Instead of spending money, you can use that money to travel more, and find interesting subjects.

Ok, there are a few things that help you. Decent rechargeable batteries. Maybe a spare set. A large fast memory card.

Tripods can be fun, but I wouldn't spend more on it than on the camera! Surprising what tripods you can find in Nature. Backpack? I don't bother. Like to travel light - but a good strap is a bonus.

Not heard of any issues - looks like a fairly typical modern digital bridge camera. You can have a lot of fun with them. Does it have any manual controls over shutter and aperture? If so, then it's a good stepping stone should you chose it to be.

http://tightfistedphotography.wordpress.com/

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jan-13 10:51:33
Print Post

Very late to this thread. As others have said use the camera and see what you are missing rather than try to buy everything up front.

One good resource I have found for Nikon cameras is www.nikonians.org

A lot of very helpful people on there at all different levels and the forums have specific boards for various levels of Nikon cameras (from cheap and simple P&S right up to £5000 professional SLRs).

I've been a member for a while now and it is always the first place I go for advice on Nikon cameras and it tends to be a very friendly forum with some great photographers (not that I consider myself in that category, very much the amateur and not doing anywhere near enough photography to really get better - but still keep thinking the next camera will suddenly make me a better photographer).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to