Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:08:48
Print Post

Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[link to this post]

Well I was a lucky lad at Christmas and got my first 'proper' camera. By proper, I mean not a party camera.

Nikon Coolpix L310

Now I want to add some kit for it. To be honest there's not much to add. There's no option for interchangeable lenses and as far as I know, no option for a remote trigger. I don't mind at all though, as it keeps the potential costs down until I decide if it's a hobby I'll like.

What I do want is a tripod and some decent batteries. I've scoped around and am settling on a Manfrotto tripod (not 100% which one yet, but probably a simple £50-£60 one), 8-12 Eneloop 2400mAh AA batteries and a Maha MH-C9000 charger / analyser.

Anyone had issues or heard of issues with any of the above?

Has anyone used Park Cameras for online purchasing? Good? Bad?

I might want a backpack to carry all that too. Any pointers for a backpack which holds a tripod as well as a camera?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:20:39
Print Post

Re: Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Can't comment on the tripod, but batteries are much of a muchness provided you stick to well-known brands. My Canons use bespoke batteries with the usual Canon pricing, but I've found the Duracell versions work just as well smile

The charger seems a tad expensive- I bought one of these a couple of months ago and it's been fine.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:24:48
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Well there's the rub. I'm being guided by reading photography forums, and I'm well aware that the average photo hobbyist spends more than a few coppers on their hobby.

It's certainly one to challenge the price and performance of the Maha. Cheers Bill!

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:31:12
Print Post

Another thing you might like to think about is a decent flash. I don't know much about Nikons (for largely historical reasons all my kit is Canon) but the pop-up built-in flash units are fairly limited.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:46:50
Print Post

Agreed. A dedicated flash must be your next purchase. They offer so much more flexibility than a built-in flash. Buy a tiltable unit with the highest guide number that you can afford.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 03-Jan-13 23:47:09)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:02:57
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Buy a tiltable unit with the highest guide number that you can afford.
The powerful flashguns need care... I've got a SpeedLite 420EX, GN about 140 I think- the first time I used it in low ambient at a target about 25 metres away, the chap sitting next to me thought someone had let a bomb off grin

Bill
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:19:24
Print Post

Well I'll stick with it for now. The flash seems a little uppity. It does like a 1.5 flash then another flash. Not sure if it's some 'build the light' in the room trick or summat. Tripod first. Not even sure if an external flash is compatible.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.

Edited by camieabz (Fri 04-Jan-13 00:19:51)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:23:16
Print Post

Really heavy-duty units will cost a lot more than the Coolpix. Something like a Sigma EF 610 DG ST should do the business. It also has auto-zoom, which is handy. The flash gun will automatically adjust the spread and throw of the light to match the focal length setting of the camera's lens. It won't cover the whole focal range of the L310 but then you don't tend to use flash with telephoto lenses.

@Camie: If you decide to go for a flash unit, you will need to make sure that it is compatible with the L310 and that its capabilities match those of the camera.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:24:22
Print Post

I think the double flash is to reduce red-eye: the first flash is low-ish intensity and causes the subject's pupils to contract, then it fires the main one.

Can't be sure, I seldom do portraiture so red-eye is turned off.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:32:16
Print Post

The 420EX has autozoom, I agree it's pretty handy.
but then you don't tend to use flash with telephoto lenses.
Not sure about that... telephoto at short ranges can be useful if you want to throw the background out of focus. I've done that on some of the occasional portraits that I take, and it can produce a pleasing effect.

Bill
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:37:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
The 420EX has autozoom, I agree it's pretty handy.
but then you don't tend to use flash with telephoto lenses.
Not sure about that... telephoto at short ranges can be useful if you want to throw the background out of focus. I've done that on some of the occasional portraits that I take, and it can produce a pleasing effect.
I hadn't thought of that. I suppose that auto-zoom really comes into its own with wide-angle shots, when inadequate coverage can be a problem with some flash guns.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:38:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Tripod first.
Manfrotto are good. Leaving cost aside, the real trade-off is between sturdiness and weight. You want to be sure that you will be happy lugging the thing around.
Not even sure if an external flash is compatible.
The L310 has a hot shoe to the rear of the built-in flash. It's covered with a clip to protect the contacts.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:56:19
Print Post

I'm being guided by reading photography forums, and I'm well aware that the average photo hobbyist spends more than a few coppers on their hobby.
It's not a cheap hobby, but be careful with those "enthusiast" forums.

A lot of amateurs like showing off the brand names on their fancy kit, and think that if A costs more than B then it must automatically be better.

Possibly some justification for that in things like lenses, but for more run-of-the-mill non-optical stuff look around, don't automatically go for the better-known brands and use value for money as the criterion.

Bill
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 01:18:18
Print Post

Finally, some helpful advice for aspiring amateurs. smile

Ken Rockwell's site is brilliant, btw. wink

Edited by micksharpe (Fri 04-Jan-13 01:21:18)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 01:36:48
Print Post

A dedicated flash must be your next purchase.
I've changed my mind. Your first accessory should be a UV filter. Screw it on and leave it on. If you want, buy a shoulder bag to keep your camera dry. Leave the rest until you are thoroughly familiar with your camera. I have to admit that I haven't yet bought a dedicated flash for my Pentax K10D. crazy

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 03:13:23
Print Post

I have a shoulder bag, but I'm a backpack sort of person. A shoulder bag is fine if delivering papers, but not if walking for miles. Hence the need for a backpack.

I have a few shots tonight with a small spotting scope tripod. Excellent stuff! smile (Nothing worth posting though).

Not convinced the L310 has a hot shoe. Not seen anything online suggesting it, not is there anything obvious looking at the camera or the manual. A moot point anyway. I have to be good enough to realise the flash is good or bad before I go anywhere near that kind of kit. The experience isn't there yet. smile

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 03:20:53
Print Post

You're right. No external flash. crazy

Standard User mikebear
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-13 07:13:05
Print Post

Congratulations on getting a proper camera.

I know the urge to buy things to go with it is very strong. I've got boxes of stuff I used a couple of times because I convinced myself I had to have it.

My advice is to take loads of pictures but think what you want to achieve before each shot and then see what needs to be done to improve the picture.
Take notes and try other ways to get what you want. Really look at photos that interest you and try to workout why they work and how were they were made and read some books on photography NOT just photographic magazines as they have a vested interest in pleasing their advertisers by making you feel you have to buy something to improve your shots when in fact it's the eyes and brain that you need to use.

Keep your wallet closed for a few months and enjoy one of the best hobbies there is.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 08:46:30
Print Post

Good article, that.

His comments about how much to cart around are a bit one-sided though, biased towards press and action-type photography where you might only have seconds to grab a shot.

I have one large-ish bag that takes nearly everything, I take that with me but it stays in the boot. The camera gets slung around neck and shoulder with (usually) an 18-55mm lens on it and a small bag with a 70-300mm lens, spare batteries etc over the other shoulder. That covers 99% of what I do.

And he's dead right about filters, I forgot to mention those to Camie. They sometimes seem expensive, but they're a lot cheaper than the lens they're protecting!

Bill
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:13:58
Print Post

Probably all you need. Make sure the tripod is a decent one. Also consider how you will use it. It you will be taking it out with you a colapsable lightweight one. If only using at home perhaps something a bit more sturdy

AS for a remote trigger you should not ned it. Most have a self timer so you can compose your shot and then take you place in the group or whatever before the shutter goes off
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:19:41
Print Post

Rechargable batteries are bsically rechargable bateries. The technology is the same. Only the quality can vary slightly. Avoid the very cheapest and the very expensive/ Alsso look at the charge rating. The higher that is the longer your battery will last with out a recharge.. Given AA batteries are cheap it is alway worth having charged up spares with you.

Enthusiast always get carried away. You get the HDMI brigade that swear that 22 carror gold plated HDMI comnnector are better and the same thing for speaker wires. THe reality is that they are going to make no noticable difference other to the bank balances of the sellers and manufacturers
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:23:47
Print Post

Generally the built in flash in cameras is not great and built in flash is never ideal for good photos. If you are keen on flash an external flash gun can be a good investment assuminmg your cameras accepts one
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:25:08
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Self-timers aren't much use if you want to photograph wildlife, for example.

A remote trigger, especially a wireless one, can be invaluable then.

The usefulness or otherwise of an accessory should always be considered in the light of the intended type of photography, sweeping statements that "you must have one of these" or "you won't need that" are almost invariably misguided at best.

(About the only item I'd exclude from that is a lens filter to act as protection for that expensive glass.)

Bill

Edited by billford (Fri 04-Jan-13 09:31:49)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:42:49
Print Post

A lot of amateurs like showing off the brand names on their fancy kit, and think that if A costs more than B then it must automatically be better.

That is exactly what Nikon and Canon owners do ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:43:58
Print Post

I think the double flash is to reduce red-eye: the first flash is low-ish intensity and causes the subject's pupils to contract, then it fires the main one.

Can't be sure, I seldom do portraiture so red-eye is turned off.

Correct

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:48:06
Print Post

A dedicated flash must be your next purchase.
I've changed my mind. Your first accessory should be a UV filter. Screw it on and leave it on. If you want, buy a shoulder bag to keep your camera dry. Leave the rest until you are thoroughly familiar with your camera. I have to admit that I haven't yet bought a dedicated flash for my Pentax K10D. crazy

NO.

A lens protector - basically clear, non-filtering should be used on digital. The sensor will have some UV filtering built in and an extra filter can modify the exposure characteristics. It is always a point of discussion (as was the Skylight 1B v UV for film) and reading comments from existing users of that family is worth while.

I use Lens Protectors on most of mine - but do have a UV that I can use if/when the location requires it.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:51:29
Print Post

Flash and telephoto can also be used at distance.

I have some excellent shots of a male lion taken on a pitch black almost moonless night, at around 80 metres using a 300mm lens.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:57:40
Print Post

Park Cameras are fine.

They are one of the few top tier Pentax dealers (less than 10 in the UK). The other one I can suggest is SRS Microsystems - a strange name for a photographic shop but the one I use. Join the Pentax User forum: http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk and you will normally get free delivery from them too.

Get used to the camera and you can capture images such as: Water Spout.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:01:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
That is exactly what Nikon and Canon owners do ...
See my comment about sweeping statements tongue

Bill
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:33:36
Print Post

I'd suggest you try out a few tripods/heads to see what is best for you. Make sure it is solid though (at all heights). Manfrotto look good, Gitzo and Giotto are also good but a bit more expensive. If your budget can accommodate it, go for carbon fibre - still sturdy but so much lighter (when carrying it around all day you'll be pleased with it).
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a shutter release cable for your camera (haven't checked it out though).
Batteries, I just use some rechargeable energizer ones for my flash guns (seems to work fine).
Additional accessories worth thinking about - SD Cards and lots of them laugh
For a backpack, have a look at the Manfrotto or Lowepro ranges, again, test them out and see what feels most comfortable on your back.

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:37:48
Print Post

Looking at the specs, I don't think this camera has a hotshoe to connect a flashgun, however you may be able to get some basic functionality with a flash that can be fired from another flash...

(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40:51
Print Post

My understanding of this is that it is more to do with AF in low light or for metering.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:58:02
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

You're probably right... you made me go and RTFM tongue

There's a separate lamp (which doubles as the self-timer indicator) for red-eye reduction. Rather than contracting the subject's pupils it diverts their eye-line away from the lens.

The double flash seems to be (mainly? only?) used for flash exposure locking. (That's for Canon of course, Nikon may have differences)

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 11:23:38
Print Post

Not on the L310 - the actual flash is triggered before the full flash and exposure.

If there was a separate flash from a different source the angular difference would be very small and not be enough to remove the red eye effect.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 11:55:23
Print Post

Seems like we're all correct:
Using the red-eye reduction capabilities built into many modern cameras. These precede the main flash with a series of short, low-power flashes [Nikon?], or a continuous piercing bright light [Canon?] triggering the pupil to contract. (This should not be confused with the autofocus assist beam, which uses a series of flashes for focus instead.)
I've never seen the red-eye reduction lamp in operation (can't see it from my side tongue) so didn't know how bright it was.

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 12:08:54
Print Post

On my various Pentax cameras it is probably around 1/4 of a normal flash ... it needs to be bright enough to cause the pupil contraction but not take too much energy from the flash as it will only have a fraction of a second to recover.

The petax flash uses an IR beam to assist in focussing rather than a white light.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 12:16:21
Print Post

Although possibly more effective than the bright red lamp, another potential problem I see with the white-light pre-flash is that in some people it could trigger a blink reflex.

An exceptionally effective method of red-eye prevention, but probably not what the photographer had in mind!

Different methods, different pros and cons... you pays your money and takes your choice.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 12:20:20
Print Post

The petax flash uses an IR beam to assist in focussing rather than a white light.
Can't remember if it's infra- or far-red, but my old PowerShot uses that, the 40D uses pre-flashes.

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 14:05:04
Print Post

Can't remember if it's infra- or far-red, but my old PowerShot uses that, the 40D uses pre-flashes.

The problem with white light from pre-flashes is that it can "spook" the subject. IR or far-red of a combination is a little less unsettling.

M H C

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 14:53:30
Print Post

According to the L310 manual:

Pre-flashes are fired several times at low intensity before the main flash to reduce the effects of red-eye.

The flash options are:

Auto
Auto with red-eye reduction
Off
Fill flash
Slow sync (flash with slow shutter for evening and night shots)

The tripod I'll be getting is the Manfrotto MK-394-H, which has a three-way head (see video - the 'large version' at 3:30).

http://vimeo.com/28395780

Also getting Bill's charger and eight Eneloop batteries.

Was also considering:

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/autopole-spirit-level

...but am wondering how it works. In my mind it would be easier to have a plumbline-esc device and ensure the distance between each leg and the line is identical. Also that gadget is for 25mm up, so it would only be for the top-most section of a leg. It might be me, but I get the impression that it only levels legs that at straight up and down (which is kind of silly).

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.

Edited by camieabz (Fri 04-Jan-13 14:55:47)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 15:01:02
Print Post

I'd think the spirit level is intended to mount on the vertical "pole" underneath the camera mount (that you use to raise or lower the camera), not on one of the legs.

Not sure I'd bother, I've never seen one being used, but it's cheap enough.

Bill

Edited by billford (Fri 04-Jan-13 15:01:37)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 15:08:49
Print Post

I'd think the spirit level is intended to mount on the vertical "pole" underneath the camera mount

I knew that!

blush

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 15:12:07
Print Post

grin

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 15:24:34
Print Post

Don't bother with the spirit level - just do it by eye. I have never used one and can only think of one or two occasions when it might have been useful.

M H C

Standard User mikebear
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-13 15:37:42
Print Post

I see a number of people are keen for you to spend your money before you've had a chance to find out what the camera can do on it's own.

You are right to consider Enaloop rechargeable batteries.They really do hold their charge for months and can be bought at a reasonable price.
I find 7dayshop.com give excellent service http://www.7dayshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=enal...

The advice to get a protective filter is good ; I doubt you will be able to notice the difference between a plain glass filter and a UV filter.Again 7dayshop have several to choose from :- http://www.7dayshop.com/photo-video-supplies/lens-fi...

Go out and take photos.Get to know your camera.....don't be a pack horse carrying loads of equipment you will hardly ever use.

Please note :- I have no connection with 7dayshop.com except as a satisfied customer.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 17:10:39
Print Post

A quick test of the zoom lense / auto focus in fading light:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/zoomtest (5 Meg .mp4 file)

The house is about 300+yds away.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 17:28:06
Print Post

Windows Media Player returns an error!

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 17:47:05
Print Post

Plays fine in QuickTime tongue

Seems OK to me- the exposure control seems a little slow at tracking- you can see the scene brighten a little at the end of the zoom, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were normal for a non-pro camera.

Bill
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 17:48:45
Print Post

Weird...I got a 1 Meg file when I tried it.

Try:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0yhoHAFL2M/

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:13:24
Print Post

That works!

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:15:48
Print Post

Plays fine in QuickTime tongue

Seems OK to me- the exposure control seems a little slow at tracking- you can see the scene brighten a little at the end of the zoom, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were normal for a non-pro camera.

At around the 9-12 second point - a few changes in exposure.

Overall it looks OK, but lets wait until Camie can post some nice colourful images.

M H C

Standard User andygegg
(regular) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:16:01
Print Post

Just a thought on tripods - it really depends on what you're going to do. I've used a really cheap one for years for basic studio type work with no probs - it's not pretty but it's good enough! Mainly I do outdoor work - flowers, insects, etc - when a tripod would be totally useless - just a lump to move around. Having said that, I do have several Gorillapods...

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 02:30:07
Print Post

Overall it looks OK, but lets wait until Camie can post some nice colourful images.

There's really nothing here to snap, and the weather, lack of batteries, and opportunity has me knowing it will be a few weeks yet.

However ( smile ), while clearing out my computer room this week, I took the odd snap and tried messing around. Here are the better ones (that being said, they're not all that great). Readme file included to explain a little.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/cpqMFkf0AH/

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 00:20:35
Print Post

Re: A Ha!!!

Now we're getting somewhere!

A few years back I was playing with the idea of getting a proper camera and bought a simple digital photography 101-type book to explore a little. Swotted up on f/stops, shutter speed and ISO settings, and now that I have sussed out this camera a little, I'm on a better footing.

It doesn't have a manual f/stop or manual shutter speed setting as far as I know, so if I want pictures with minimal blur, max out the ISO settings and add light.

So at ISO 6400 it was slightly grainy, but the cat got snapped quit well while playing. I found a balance at ISO 1600 and all the lights on. Nothing too fancy, but far, far better. Time to venture outside as soon as the weather/light/tripod permits.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Jan-13 00:44:26
Print Post

so if I want pictures with minimal blur, max out the ISO settings and add light.
For the first- only if you have to. Increasing the speed rating will decrease motion blur but increase sensor noise (graininess). I don't like going above about 800ASA if I can avoid it.

For something random (like the cat playing with a toy) it may be your only option, but for something predictable like a high-speed car, aircraft, (some) sporting shots etc then learn how to pan round to follow the action. In fact for some shots a bit of motion blur (on either the subject or background as appropriate) adds markedly to its impact- a picture that's pin-sharp all over can look like a statue.

There are good reasons why most cameras (film or digital) default to something in the region of 100ASA!

eta- all the above is for stills of course. I don't really do moving pictures, and tend to forget that many people do blush

Bill

Edited by billford (Sun 06-Jan-13 01:06:57)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:08:17
Print Post

I think part of the problem was that the camera was adjusting the ISO depending on the shot in front of it, but with a view to a still shot. Despite that, there was still some blurring. That also may have accounted for the delay of light change in the vid you saw. The 'auto' setting only goes to ISO 800.

The specs as far as I have seen are:

f3.1 - f5.8

1/1000 - 1s (normal)
4s (firework mode)
1/4000 - 1/60s (sport continuous mode - 15.3 fps - and said mode has the ISO locked between 400 and 3200)

ISO 80 - 6400

I can't wait for the sun to arrive. smile

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jan-13 10:01:37
Print Post

Late to the thread, sorry.

The best advice I have seen in these posts, is to actually go use the thing, see in what way you wish to take photos before you donate a kidney to buy kit.

Weird and wonderful long exposure stuff, like this achieved without a tripod, or this done with no trickery at all.

My son has got a lot of mileage using a cheap lens adaptor which allows him to fit cheap manual focus lenses to his digital camera, and equally using old 35mm stuff like a 70's Olympus Trip off E-bay.

Having the most toys, doesn't always mean you will win ! smile

Standard User JPL
(member) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:18:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The best accessory I have bought for my camera is Adobe Lightroom.
Standard User Old_Git
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jan-13 10:26:02
Print Post

You don't HAVE to add kit! It's up to you, but photography in my humble opinion should be more about having fun and being creative - not financing the lifestyle of rich investors.

Instead of spending money, you can use that money to travel more, and find interesting subjects.

Ok, there are a few things that help you. Decent rechargeable batteries. Maybe a spare set. A large fast memory card.

Tripods can be fun, but I wouldn't spend more on it than on the camera! Surprising what tripods you can find in Nature. Backpack? I don't bother. Like to travel light - but a good strap is a bonus.

Not heard of any issues - looks like a fairly typical modern digital bridge camera. You can have a lot of fun with them. Does it have any manual controls over shutter and aperture? If so, then it's a good stepping stone should you chose it to be.

http://tightfistedphotography.wordpress.com/

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jan-13 10:51:33
Print Post

Very late to this thread. As others have said use the camera and see what you are missing rather than try to buy everything up front.

One good resource I have found for Nikon cameras is www.nikonians.org

A lot of very helpful people on there at all different levels and the forums have specific boards for various levels of Nikon cameras (from cheap and simple P&S right up to £5000 professional SLRs).

I've been a member for a while now and it is always the first place I go for advice on Nikon cameras and it tends to be a very friendly forum with some great photographers (not that I consider myself in that category, very much the amateur and not doing anywhere near enough photography to really get better - but still keep thinking the next camera will suddenly make me a better photographer).
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:19:44
Print Post

[re: Old_Git] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Old_Git:
You don't HAVE to add kit! It's up to you, but photography in my humble opinion should be more about having fun and being creative - not financing the lifestyle of rich investors.

Instead of spending money, you can use that money to travel more, and find interesting subjects.

Ok, there are a few things that help you. Decent rechargeable batteries. Maybe a spare set. A large fast memory card.

Tripods can be fun, but I wouldn't spend more on it than on the camera! Surprising what tripods you can find in Nature. Backpack? I don't bother. Like to travel light - but a good strap is a bonus.

Not heard of any issues - looks like a fairly typical modern digital bridge camera. You can have a lot of fun with them. Does it have any manual controls over shutter and aperture? If so, then it's a good stepping stone should you chose it to be.

http://tightfistedphotography.wordpress.com/

My gf was kind enough to ensure it has an 8GB card. Fast enough for me.

The tripod is a must. I have RSI which translates to having a shaky hand when doing some thing. Not an issue for me, but others notice if I hand them a hot cup. Let just say I'll never be on Danger UXB if they do a re-make. smile

Charger, batteries, spare set. Check!

No manual shutter or aperture, but there seem to be modes to work around that, as well as adjusting the light, and the ISO settings.

I love the ghoul pic in that link. Not so sure about the mushroom though. shocked

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:25:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Cheers for the link. Looks good.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to