Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:13:09
Print Post

Optical Image Stabilization Question

[link to this post]

I have had many phones over the years. Some with OIS and EIS some with just OIS or EIS or none at all.

But one thing that always comes up with these phones is the resolution and frame rate that is supported. With EIS I can understand these limitations but with OIS, I don't get it.

For example. My current phone is a Huawei Mate 10 Pro. It has OIS.

It supports OIS at 1080p 30fps but not at 60fps and does not support OIS at 4K at all.

But why is this? OIS is a lense based image stabilization system so what is the reason for it not to work with some resolutions and frame rates?

Virgin Media
Connection Speed: DL: 575Mbps UL: 38.5Mbps
Speed test: 550Mbps DL
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:53:32
Print Post

Re: Optical Image Stabilization Question

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I am guessing but I assume that as there is a physical movement involved it takes time for the lens to settle for the shot - a very short amount of time but nonetheless some time. Perhaps at a higher framerate the motion cannot be stabilised because the hardware cannot move fast enough and so the jitter is seen?
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Tue 18-Aug-20 14:04:10
Print Post

As far as I'm aware the resolution and frame rate are limited by the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) used not the lense.
The official specs for the Mate 10 say it supports recording up to 60fps at 1080p and 30fps at 4k

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 14:09:12
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

True, but with my testing, OIS is not functioning with 60fps modes or 4k and I can't wrap my head round why this is.

Virgin Media
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Tue 18-Aug-20 14:44:16
Print Post

I did some deeper digging and found that 4k doesn't work with OIS active but couldn't find anything about 1080p 60fps
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 14:49:07
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

This, I know. It's why does it not work that I am trying to find out. Its just a lense that moves to compensate for small movements so, what is it about 4k that means it does not work

Virgin Media
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 16:12:27
Print Post

I've found a few reviews where the reviewers aren't happy the OIS is disabled at 1080/60 and 4K but none give any light as to why. As I said before I can only assume it is to do with the mechanics - there is a lot of electronic wizardry going on to move that lens around to keep up with the stabilisation and I can only imagine that when the frame rate or resolution is higher it can't keep up with it - my guess is that the results were just not good enough and therefore it gets disabled. Or, maybe there was another phone that could do it and they didn't want to impact on the sales of that and so artificially limited this model.
Standard User Thinker27
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-20 07:22:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I guess the phone designer has to balance the impact of a feature (size, weight, cost, battery consumption, etc) against its marketing value in the particular phone model. Cost will particularly include intellectual property licences - it is said that there are hundreds of thousands of patents covering a modern mobile phone.
  Print Thread

Jump to