Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:19:41
Print Post

Re: Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Rechargable batteries are bsically rechargable bateries. The technology is the same. Only the quality can vary slightly. Avoid the very cheapest and the very expensive/ Alsso look at the charge rating. The higher that is the longer your battery will last with out a recharge.. Given AA batteries are cheap it is alway worth having charged up spares with you.

Enthusiast always get carried away. You get the HDMI brigade that swear that 22 carror gold plated HDMI comnnector are better and the same thing for speaker wires. THe reality is that they are going to make no noticable difference other to the bank balances of the sellers and manufacturers
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:23:47
Print Post

Generally the built in flash in cameras is not great and built in flash is never ideal for good photos. If you are keen on flash an external flash gun can be a good investment assuminmg your cameras accepts one
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:25:08
Print Post

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

Self-timers aren't much use if you want to photograph wildlife, for example.

A remote trigger, especially a wireless one, can be invaluable then.

The usefulness or otherwise of an accessory should always be considered in the light of the intended type of photography, sweeping statements that "you must have one of these" or "you won't need that" are almost invariably misguided at best.

(About the only item I'd exclude from that is a lens filter to act as protection for that expensive glass.)

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Fri 04-Jan-13 09:31:49)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:42:49
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
A lot of amateurs like showing off the brand names on their fancy kit, and think that if A costs more than B then it must automatically be better.

That is exactly what Nikon and Canon owners do ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:43:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
I think the double flash is to reduce red-eye: the first flash is low-ish intensity and causes the subject's pupils to contract, then it fires the main one.

Can't be sure, I seldom do portraiture so red-eye is turned off.

Correct

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:48:06
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
In reply to a post by micksharpe:
A dedicated flash must be your next purchase.
I've changed my mind. Your first accessory should be a UV filter. Screw it on and leave it on. If you want, buy a shoulder bag to keep your camera dry. Leave the rest until you are thoroughly familiar with your camera. I have to admit that I haven't yet bought a dedicated flash for my Pentax K10D. crazy

NO.

A lens protector - basically clear, non-filtering should be used on digital. The sensor will have some UV filtering built in and an extra filter can modify the exposure characteristics. It is always a point of discussion (as was the Skylight 1B v UV for film) and reading comments from existing users of that family is worth while.

I use Lens Protectors on most of mine - but do have a UV that I can use if/when the location requires it.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:51:29
Print Post

Flash and telephoto can also be used at distance.

I have some excellent shots of a male lion taken on a pitch black almost moonless night, at around 80 metres using a 300mm lens.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:57:40
Print Post

Park Cameras are fine.

They are one of the few top tier Pentax dealers (less than 10 in the UK). The other one I can suggest is SRS Microsystems - a strange name for a photographic shop but the one I use. Join the Pentax User forum: http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk and you will normally get free delivery from them too.

Get used to the camera and you can capture images such as: Water Spout.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:01:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
That is exactly what Nikon and Canon owners do ...
See my comment about sweeping statements tongue

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:33:36
Print Post

I'd suggest you try out a few tripods/heads to see what is best for you. Make sure it is solid though (at all heights). Manfrotto look good, Gitzo and Giotto are also good but a bit more expensive. If your budget can accommodate it, go for carbon fibre - still sturdy but so much lighter (when carrying it around all day you'll be pleased with it).
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a shutter release cable for your camera (haven't checked it out though).
Batteries, I just use some rechargeable energizer ones for my flash guns (seems to work fine).
Additional accessories worth thinking about - SD Cards and lots of them laugh
For a backpack, have a look at the Manfrotto or Lowepro ranges, again, test them out and see what feels most comfortable on your back.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to