Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 15:20:08
Print Post

Re: DG834N Wlan Uptime Puzzle

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

I do have some but they are not time defined - they are supposed to be in place permanently. I was just wondering if I disabled scheduling whether that means that the rule would be come completely non-operational.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-09 16:41:03
Print Post

[re: has] [link to this post]

I have six inbound services set up for port forwarding firewall rules and which are set to Allow Always. In the schedule section, I have none of the days checked, I have All day checked for the time of day (otherwise it asks for s specific time, which I wanted to avoid). I also have "use this NTP server" checked but have no entry in the IP field. I'll keep an eye on the log but I don't recall seeing any NTP requests (failed or otherwise).

As it's only something that might be worth your trying just to eliminate it, it's probably not worth worrying over. As another poster has said, it may just be a bug in the firmware.

John.

ISP:Be*
Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 17:17:24
Print Post

Thanks I will try that. And you are right - not worth worrying about anyway smile

H

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-09 19:00:00
Print Post

Have you got the "Adjust for daylight savings time" box checked? If not check it, "Apply" and restart the router. Someone has passed this info on to me by email. I'll give an acknowledgement if it works ! smile

John.

Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 22:28:43
Print Post

Thanks but it is checked already.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Aug-09 08:16:18
Print Post

Worth a try.

What I have determined is that, if you select the checkbox to use your own preferred time server but leave it blank, it does stop the NTP requests but it also prevents any entries being added to the log other than the initial:

Sat 2000-01-1 00:00:00 Administrator Login

With time NTP request enabled, you get:

Sat, 2000-01-01 00:10:16 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:03 - Receive NTP Reply from time-g.netgear.com
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:27 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.4
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:56 - TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.4,2200 Destination:wy-in-f154.google.com,80 - [BLOCK]
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:59 - TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.4,2208 Destination:wy-in-f154.google.com,80 - [BLOCK]

So, with hindesight, I'd say that disabling the NTP request isn't a good idea unless you don't mind disabling the log as well.

Unfortunately I don't use the WLAN for more than a few minutes at a time because it plays havoc with several video senders I have here so I can't really advise any further.

John.

Edited by John_ON (Wed 26-Aug-09 08:17:41)

Standard User has
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-09 15:14:32
Print Post

Unfortunately unticking the schedule list did not do the trick. I might try your last suggestion - and then if that doesn't work, I think I will throw the towel in smile Thanks again for your help.

H
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Feb-10 20:50:48
Print Post

Hey, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem? Ive got a DG834N router and have experienced this as one of its many faults.

What seemed to work for me with the midnight turn off was to go into config, go to schedule, de select the all day button and if you notice in the time its scheduled to turn on at 00:00 and turn off at 24:00 of which there is no such time!! I re set turn off to 23:59 and the problem seemed to be fixed for me. Hope that helps.

Dont supposed you have any insight into the wireless signal disappearing and reappearing when ever it chooses?
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sat 27-Feb-10 00:31:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have been suffering from this issue since the firmware came out. It's stable except every midnight it kicks me off my PS3 when I'm in the middle of an online match, eg COD MW 2. I am going to try what you have advised and see if it helps.

The only difference for me was that the boxes were empty so I have filled them in with what I can work out from your tip. Fingers crossed. wink

24Mb
Be There
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sun 28-Feb-10 00:14:05
Print Post

[re: koolkp3] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Still resets Wifi at midnight. If you wouldn't mind, please repeat the steps so I can ensure that I am doing them correctly.

Thanks in advance tongue

24Mb
Be There
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to