Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sun 13-Mar-11 15:31:16
Print Post

Re: DG834N Wlan Uptime Puzzle

[re: koolkp3] [link to this post]

Well, I've managed to have the crontab rewritten excluding the last line for the wireless restart. I will test it today and see if it works. Hopefully this will mean that I don't get kicked off the PSN network mid game anymore smile

Right upon reboot it reset the contrab to its firmware defaults. I tried another way with assistance, which was to rewrite the crontab, kill the cron process and then restart it. I'll see if that works until either a reboot or PPP reset.

Last resort is to make the changes in NVRAM which I was going to ask how to do.

24Mb
Be There

Edited by koolkp3 (Mon 14-Mar-11 01:00:52)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 00:13:52
Print Post

I can confirm that the WLAN didn't drop at midnight, so the cron adjustment(s) worked. Now to get Netgear to correct their firmware wink

24Mb
Be There
Standard User nightfly
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-11 16:29:29
Print Post

Hey,

Is there any chance you can guide me to remove the unwanted line in crontab?

I just recently upgraded the firmware router and i noticed this issue and its quite annoying although currently i just changed my timezone so that the router does restart at 6am...

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Tue 22-Mar-11 01:30:23
Print Post

[re: nightfly] [link to this post]

Unfortunately the fix is not permanent. I'm trying to find out how to write the change to the NVRAM fo the router. Once I've solved that then I'll post a full fix.

24Mb
Be There
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-11 16:50:20
Print Post

I had my dg834n up and running to see if it was still overheating with the case and part of the wifi shielding removed, the good news is that it didn't red light, so I'm going to try to remove the remaining shielding from the wifi card and fit a heatsink, or maybe a graphics card heatsink + fan.

Anyway, I had a quick look at the settings, crontab and NVRAM. I'd actually completely got rid of the crontab entry for the schedule (can't remember how I managed that), but I did have an entry for restarting the wifi at midnight exactly as above.

So far I've found if I set wifi schedule entries in the user interface for all four of the SSIDs, with a time that I'm unlikely to be using the router, then I get entries for each time I entered in the crontab, but I no longer get the entry for midnight. When I turn off all the SSIDs that aren't being used and set the remaining to always on, the new crontab retains the new entries, but doesn't regain the one for midnight. As I see it, the firmware really should be removing crontab entries for a SSID that has the schedule disabled, and ideally they should find a better way of disabling a ssid by schedule without restarting the whole wlan to do it.

Here's my current crontab after a reboot of the router. I have set a different time for every entry for the purpose of testing then turned the schdules off on all of SSIDs, so I've now got lots of usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart entries - two for each ssid But no midnight ones. I'm guessing that if you were to set the same pair of times for every SSID, they'd only be one entry for each ssid or maybe just one after you switch schedule off for all of them.

# cat crontab
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/
11 11 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
15 15 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
12 12 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
13 12 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
13 13 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
14 13 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
14 14 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
15 14 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
#

As you can see no schedule restart entry either - my nram setting is as follows -

# nvram get fw_schedule
name=1111111:0:0-24:0
#

I've somehow got an invalid stop time of 24:00 hrs smile (possibly I set it directly) which must be the cause. This is probably not a good idea, as the syslog and ddns restart entries are missing as well.

I'm wondering if removing the following fields (name and value) from nvram after first turning off wlan schedule for all ssids might cure the wlan restart thing completely, I haven't tried it yet, so be careful and don't blame me if it bricks it.

wifi_if_on_sch_hour=11
wifi_if_on_sch_min=11
wifi_if_off_sch_hour=15
wifi_if_off_sch_min=15
wifi_if_on_sch_hour2=12
wifi_if_on_sch_min2=12
wifi_if_off_sch_hour2=12
wifi_if_off_sch_min2=13
wifi_if_on_sch_hour3=13
wifi_if_on_sch_min3=13
wifi_if_off_sch_hour3=13
wifi_if_off_sch_min3=14
wifi_if_on_sch_hour4=14
wifi_if_on_sch_min4=14
wifi_if_off_sch_hour4=14
wifi_if_off_sch_min4=15

Edited by AbandonShip (Tue 29-Mar-11 17:19:25)

Standard User Dabbsy
(newbie) Fri 01-Apr-11 21:00:45
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

Has anyone tryed this with the latest DG Team revision 1018? I've recently flashed my DG834Nv1 with this firmware, will report back if wireless cuts off at midnight.

Edited by Dabbsy (Fri 01-Apr-11 21:02:13)

Standard User Dabbsy
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 17:03:27
Print Post

[re: Dabbsy] [link to this post]

No midnight disconnections with the DG Team firmware so far, looking good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to