Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User has
(committed) Fri 31-Jul-09 00:20:19
Print Post

DG834N Wlan Uptime Puzzle

[link to this post]

I am reposting this problem in the hope that someone out there might know what is going on. Netgear Support have been useless unfortunately, even though I've spent hours (not to mention quite a bit of money!) on the phone to them.

Every 24 hours, at midnight, my wlan uptime counter resets to zero. IThis is the case even though Wireless Access Point Control is set to "always on."

I have tried changing channels, encryption, resetting the router, and checking all settings but still it happens - every night at midnight without fail. Is this a bug in the Netgear's counter or is there something causing the wlan connection to drop for a few seconds exactly the same time every night?

P.S Lan and Wan uptimes don't seem to be affected.

P.P.S Windows XP Wireless Network Connection is not affected - the duration shown on the status page does not correspond to the Netgear's stats page. ( So when the wlan counter on the netgear router page resets to zero, it stays at a given figure on the windows xp wireless tab).

Edited by has (Fri 31-Jul-09 00:33:24)

Standard User time2die
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-09 08:33:18
Print Post

Re: DG834N Wlan Uptime Puzzle

[re: has] [link to this post]

I have the same router but unfortunatly i have not got a clue what your on about and why this problem makes a difference to you.

If you want to go into a description of your problem and settings within the router i will look at my own to see if i can help.

All i can say is from using netgear for ages is a do not update the firmware very often as it has stopped most wireless communictions with all my consoles in the past especially the netgear model dg834gt.

Must have spent hours talking to some netgeat advisor in india about this problem which was never solved.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-09 10:21:34
Print Post

Every 24 hours, at midnight, my wlan uptime counter resets to zero.

I'd try to determine whether it is every 24 hours or whether it's midnight: If you deliberately drop the connection at, say, 11pm, does it still reset at midnight.

I'm not too sure what that might indicate but it could point to some sort of "lease" thing if it's every 24 hours or some sort of "clock" thing (perhaps NTP server or something) if it's always at midnight.

John.

ISP: ZeN

Edited by John_ON (Fri 31-Jul-09 10:23:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User has
(committed) Fri 31-Jul-09 14:09:38
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Anyone with a DG834N and has noticed the same thing and knows what is causing this and whether there is a solution? I know it is not a big problem, but it is irritating nevertheless - especially for a perfectionist like me ! smile

P.S I will try the suggestion of dropping the wifi connection and seeing if it still disconnects at midnight. I can't help feeling that it is a counter bug, as I hardly notice any effect on my connection and windows does not show a loss of wifi signal.

Edited by has (Fri 31-Jul-09 14:11:02)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sat 01-Aug-09 00:48:05
Print Post

I have noticed this too. I think it must be a behaviour in the latest firmware revision. It also seems to flush out old port listings under UPNP, NAT etc. Must be it's way of "refreshing" itself.

24Mb
Be There
Standard User has
(committed) Sat 01-Aug-09 01:51:30
Print Post

[re: koolkp3] [link to this post]

Thanks - at last someone who is able to corroborate this behaviour. It was driving me mad that no one here or on netgar forums could confirm that this is a known issue.

Edited by has (Sat 01-Aug-09 02:11:12)

Standard User has
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-09 12:23:45
Print Post

The problem with the dg834n disconnecting wireless (not ethernet) every midnight is still occurring. Any one experience the same thing?

P.S Still using lates official netgear firmware V1.02.15 .

P.P.S It disconnects momentarily for a few seconds and then reconnects. But always at midnight.

H

Edited by has (Mon 17-Aug-09 00:12:45)

Standard User has
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-09 02:00:37
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

I have identified that the wlan connection drops at midnight without fail and not every 24 hours.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-09 07:56:39
Print Post

So, it would seem to be a clock thing rather than a lease thing. Does your PC synchronize it's clock with a time server? What time? (Control Panel -> Date & Time -> Internet Time)

Do you have an firewall schedule set in the router? I'm not sure how or when the router contacts a time server.

John.

ISP:Be*
Standard User has
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-09 23:47:19
Print Post

The router's log does show that it synchronizes with the NTP time server but not at midnight - also windows synchronizes with the internet time server at 14.36. So unfortunately neither of those explain the mystery of the midnight wireless dropouts.
P.S. There are no time defined firewall rules in place.

H
Standard User has
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-09 00:35:52
Print Post

Anyone out there with a dg834n who is able to tell whether they experience the same issue (momentary loss of wireless connection at midnight)?

H
Standard User Deadbeat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Aug-09 00:44:53
Print Post

I seem to remember some program or other causing similar problems. I'm not sure but I think that it was something to do with software for a TV card or similar checking for updated TV schedules.
I'm probably wildly wrong but if you do have a TV card, it may be worth checking.
Standard User has
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-09 01:24:52
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have a tv card. I am convinced it is to do with the netgear itself - but unfortunately no one here or on the netgear forums seems to be able to confirm this.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Aug-09 08:53:21
Print Post

Unless you absolutely need the time server, I'd be inclined to disable it in the router for a few days so the router has no idea what time it is.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's something a neighbour has - automated wireless house alarm or something - that kicks in at midnight.

John.

Edited by John_ON (Mon 24-Aug-09 08:54:55)

Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-09 13:46:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by has:
Anyone out there with a dg834n who is able to tell whether they experience the same issue (momentary loss of wireless connection at midnight)?

Mine does the same, but I don't think the wireless goes down as I've been connected and on msn at that time with no interruption. I think it's just a counter bug in the firmware.

Gandalf
Standard User has
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-09 21:19:48
Print Post

Thanks I will try disabling the time server. Any possible undesirable consequences of doing so?

P.S Any ideas of how I would go about disabling the time server in the dg834n?

H

Edited by has (Tue 25-Aug-09 02:54:01)

Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 02:53:30
Print Post

[re: Gandalf] [link to this post]

Like you, I initially thought it was a counter bug, but on closer investigation, there does seem to be a momentary loss of wireless at midnight, and not simply a resetting of the counter.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-09 10:21:18
Print Post

I'm not 100% sure, to be honest. In the DG834G, I just don't have any schedule set.

I have the log set to log "Router operation (start up, get time etc)" and there's never a time server entry so I assume the above does the trick.

John.

Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 11:10:02
Print Post

O.k So it is just a matter of not having a schedule set - but doesnt that then prevent firewall rules from being implemented?

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-09 12:10:59
Print Post

Yeah, but I thought you said you didn't have any.

"P.S. There are no time defined firewall rules in place. "

John.

Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 15:20:08
Print Post

I do have some but they are not time defined - they are supposed to be in place permanently. I was just wondering if I disabled scheduling whether that means that the rule would be come completely non-operational.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-09 16:41:03
Print Post

I have six inbound services set up for port forwarding firewall rules and which are set to Allow Always. In the schedule section, I have none of the days checked, I have All day checked for the time of day (otherwise it asks for s specific time, which I wanted to avoid). I also have "use this NTP server" checked but have no entry in the IP field. I'll keep an eye on the log but I don't recall seeing any NTP requests (failed or otherwise).

As it's only something that might be worth your trying just to eliminate it, it's probably not worth worrying over. As another poster has said, it may just be a bug in the firmware.

John.

Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 17:17:24
Print Post

Thanks I will try that. And you are right - not worth worrying about anyway smile

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Aug-09 19:00:00
Print Post

Have you got the "Adjust for daylight savings time" box checked? If not check it, "Apply" and restart the router. Someone has passed this info on to me by email. I'll give an acknowledgement if it works ! smile

John.

Standard User has
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-09 22:28:43
Print Post

Thanks but it is checked already.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Aug-09 08:16:18
Print Post

Worth a try.

What I have determined is that, if you select the checkbox to use your own preferred time server but leave it blank, it does stop the NTP requests but it also prevents any entries being added to the log other than the initial:

Sat 2000-01-1 00:00:00 Administrator Login

With time NTP request enabled, you get:

Sat, 2000-01-01 00:10:16 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:03 - Receive NTP Reply from time-g.netgear.com
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:27 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.4
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:56 - TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.4,2200 Destination:wy-in-f154.google.com,80 - [BLOCK]
Wed, 2009-08-26 08:03:59 - TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.4,2208 Destination:wy-in-f154.google.com,80 - [BLOCK]

So, with hindesight, I'd say that disabling the NTP request isn't a good idea unless you don't mind disabling the log as well.

Unfortunately I don't use the WLAN for more than a few minutes at a time because it plays havoc with several video senders I have here so I can't really advise any further.

John.

Edited by John_ON (Wed 26-Aug-09 08:17:41)

Standard User has
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-09 15:14:32
Print Post

Unfortunately unticking the schedule list did not do the trick. I might try your last suggestion - and then if that doesn't work, I think I will throw the towel in smile Thanks again for your help.

H
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Feb-10 20:50:48
Print Post

Hey, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem? Ive got a DG834N router and have experienced this as one of its many faults.

What seemed to work for me with the midnight turn off was to go into config, go to schedule, de select the all day button and if you notice in the time its scheduled to turn on at 00:00 and turn off at 24:00 of which there is no such time!! I re set turn off to 23:59 and the problem seemed to be fixed for me. Hope that helps.

Dont supposed you have any insight into the wireless signal disappearing and reappearing when ever it chooses?
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sat 27-Feb-10 00:31:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have been suffering from this issue since the firmware came out. It's stable except every midnight it kicks me off my PS3 when I'm in the middle of an online match, eg COD MW 2. I am going to try what you have advised and see if it helps.

The only difference for me was that the boxes were empty so I have filled them in with what I can work out from your tip. Fingers crossed. wink

24Mb
Be There
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sun 28-Feb-10 00:14:05
Print Post

Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Still resets Wifi at midnight. If you wouldn't mind, please repeat the steps so I can ensure that I am doing them correctly.

Thanks in advance tongue

24Mb
Be There
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 01-Oct-10 18:51:12
Print Post

I also have the DG834N and it also disconnects me at midnight. But this only happens on my PS3. Dont know what it is either!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-Feb-11 13:31:55
Print Post

I have the same router and mine also disconnects & reconnects at midnight! It must be related to this model
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Feb-11 00:46:30
Print Post

As I recall, the schedule feature uses crontab to restart the firewall at midnight, it is probably to do with that.
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Mon 14-Feb-11 02:03:00
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

I wonder if we will ever see a firmware fix for this as previous firmwares did not have this issue at all. Apart from the Wifi glitch, this router is rock solid.

24Mb
Be There
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Feb-11 21:28:49
Print Post

Sadly mine's not so rock solid, it started developing the red light of death syndrome (where it won't restart after a power outage until it has completely cooled off) after just three months.
Currently I've got it in pieces as I was trying to fit heatsinks to it. One on the BCM6358 helped a little, but the main culprit is the wifi, which is under 3 layers of steel shielding which I will probably have to desolder.

The firewall restarting issue which causes the connection to freeze at midnight occurred on mine on one of the previous firmwares, so it might not be the same thing, although as I recall, I did manage to find a fix, I think fiddling around with the schedule settings, but I don't remember exactly what I did.

Ah! I just found a post about it: I discovered that messing around with the schedule settings in a particular way corrupted the crontab entry used to restart the firewall so that it is skipped, curing the issue I had - I don't know if it works in the current firmware, but I posted about it in this thread :- http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/f/3184832-load-...

Thinking about it, as I recall, the current firmware allows you to use the schedule feature to drop the wifi connection, as well as schedule firewall rules, so it probably is related, although there may be a separate crontab entry for dropping wifi, or they may be combined.

Edited by AbandonShip (Sat 26-Feb-11 21:30:14)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 02:40:59
Print Post

I didn't think of trying that. I will experiment and see how it goes over the next 24 hours wink

24Mb
Be There
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-11 13:31:17
Print Post

I'd suggest enabling telnet:- http://192.168.0.1/?todo=debug
and doing a "cat /etc/crontab" before, then after unticking everyday and all the day of the weeks in the schedule entries, to see if it still has the desired effect in the current firmware.

If it works, you should see something similar to below, although here I'm using a different Netgear model, which actually calls the service it restarts "schedule" rather than "firewall"
Password:

BusyBox v1.00 (2008.02.23-08:21+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

#
# cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/
DAYLIGHT=1
TZ=GMT+0

0 12 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc ddns start
0 0 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 root /usr/sbin/rc schedule restart <--Restarts "schedule" at midnight on each day of the week
0 * * * * root killall -1 syslogd
#

# cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILTO=root
HOME=/
DAYLIGHT=1
TZ=GMT+0

0 0 * * root /usr/sbin/rc schedule restart <--- Fifth parameter is missing so this line will be ignored
#
#

Oh, one other thing, I think you may find that if you make a backup the router settings while the schedule feature is disabled in this way (ie broken), the router might reject the settings file if you try to restore it.

Edited by AbandonShip (Tue 01-Mar-11 13:46:34)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Wed 02-Mar-11 19:23:37
Print Post

Well after following your steps I found some interesting stuff there, some extra lines as follows:
BusyBox v1.00 (2008.12.10-11:52+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILTO=root
HOME=/
DAYLIGHT=1
TZ=GMT+0

0-59 * * * * root /usr/sbin/rc check_conn start
0 0 * * root /usr/sbin/rc schedule restart
0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
#
#

Now i just need to find a way to remove that line from the crontab jobs list....

I'm not sure, but I believe that:

crontab -r 0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart

should do the trick. I'll be the guinea pig for this and see if it works tonight.

24Mb
Be There

Edited by koolkp3 (Wed 02-Mar-11 19:33:00)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-11 20:34:36
Print Post

Yes, that line does look to be the cause of your problem, pity it has not been broken along with the schedule restart one.

You could probably use grep to re-create crontab without the sch_wlan restart entry, but unfortunately, the changes will be lost next time you lose and re-establish a PPP connection.

If I've got it right, the following should do so, omitting lines containing "restart"

grep -v "restart" /etc/crontab>/etc/t;cp /etc/t /etc/crontab

One thing that might do as a workaround, is to set the start and end time in the schedule to a time when you are unlikely to be using the wireless.

If there's a separate schedule entry for wireless in the router's nvram, modifying it (eg to match the broken "fw_schedule" entry) might also work. Do be careful if altering nvram settings though, I recently bricked a non-netgear router by modifying its settings file (I can still flash firmware onto it, but it hangs before it checks for the reset button to clear its nvram).

Edited by AbandonShip (Wed 02-Mar-11 21:03:51)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Thu 03-Mar-11 19:09:50
Print Post

Yeah that was my concern, affecting the router permanently. I will have to find time to do some solid research into the matter wink

24Mb
Be There
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sun 13-Mar-11 15:31:16
Print Post

Well, I've managed to have the crontab rewritten excluding the last line for the wireless restart. I will test it today and see if it works. Hopefully this will mean that I don't get kicked off the PSN network mid game anymore smile

Right upon reboot it reset the contrab to its firmware defaults. I tried another way with assistance, which was to rewrite the crontab, kill the cron process and then restart it. I'll see if that works until either a reboot or PPP reset.

Last resort is to make the changes in NVRAM which I was going to ask how to do.

24Mb
Be There

Edited by koolkp3 (Mon 14-Mar-11 01:00:52)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 00:13:52
Print Post

I can confirm that the WLAN didn't drop at midnight, so the cron adjustment(s) worked. Now to get Netgear to correct their firmware wink

24Mb
Be There
Standard User nightfly
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-11 16:29:29
Print Post

Hey,

Is there any chance you can guide me to remove the unwanted line in crontab?

I just recently upgraded the firmware router and i noticed this issue and its quite annoying although currently i just changed my timezone so that the router does restart at 6am...

Thanks
Standard User koolkp3
(member) Tue 22-Mar-11 01:30:23
Print Post

[re: nightfly] [link to this post]

Unfortunately the fix is not permanent. I'm trying to find out how to write the change to the NVRAM fo the router. Once I've solved that then I'll post a full fix.

24Mb
Be There
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-11 16:50:20
Print Post

I had my dg834n up and running to see if it was still overheating with the case and part of the wifi shielding removed, the good news is that it didn't red light, so I'm going to try to remove the remaining shielding from the wifi card and fit a heatsink, or maybe a graphics card heatsink + fan.

Anyway, I had a quick look at the settings, crontab and NVRAM. I'd actually completely got rid of the crontab entry for the schedule (can't remember how I managed that), but I did have an entry for restarting the wifi at midnight exactly as above.

So far I've found if I set wifi schedule entries in the user interface for all four of the SSIDs, with a time that I'm unlikely to be using the router, then I get entries for each time I entered in the crontab, but I no longer get the entry for midnight. When I turn off all the SSIDs that aren't being used and set the remaining to always on, the new crontab retains the new entries, but doesn't regain the one for midnight. As I see it, the firmware really should be removing crontab entries for a SSID that has the schedule disabled, and ideally they should find a better way of disabling a ssid by schedule without restarting the whole wlan to do it.

Here's my current crontab after a reboot of the router. I have set a different time for every entry for the purpose of testing then turned the schdules off on all of SSIDs, so I've now got lots of usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart entries - two for each ssid But no midnight ones. I'm guessing that if you were to set the same pair of times for every SSID, they'd only be one entry for each ssid or maybe just one after you switch schedule off for all of them.

# cat crontab
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILTO=root
HOME=/
11 11 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
15 15 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
12 12 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
13 12 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
13 13 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
14 13 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
14 14 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
15 14 * * * root /usr/sbin/rc sch_wlan restart
#

As you can see no schedule restart entry either - my nram setting is as follows -

# nvram get fw_schedule
name=1111111:0:0-24:0
#

I've somehow got an invalid stop time of 24:00 hrs smile (possibly I set it directly) which must be the cause. This is probably not a good idea, as the syslog and ddns restart entries are missing as well.

I'm wondering if removing the following fields (name and value) from nvram after first turning off wlan schedule for all ssids might cure the wlan restart thing completely, I haven't tried it yet, so be careful and don't blame me if it bricks it.

wifi_if_on_sch_hour=11
wifi_if_on_sch_min=11
wifi_if_off_sch_hour=15
wifi_if_off_sch_min=15
wifi_if_on_sch_hour2=12
wifi_if_on_sch_min2=12
wifi_if_off_sch_hour2=12
wifi_if_off_sch_min2=13
wifi_if_on_sch_hour3=13
wifi_if_on_sch_min3=13
wifi_if_off_sch_hour3=13
wifi_if_off_sch_min3=14
wifi_if_on_sch_hour4=14
wifi_if_on_sch_min4=14
wifi_if_off_sch_hour4=14
wifi_if_off_sch_min4=15

Edited by AbandonShip (Tue 29-Mar-11 17:19:25)

Standard User Dabbsy
(newbie) Fri 01-Apr-11 21:00:45
Print Post

Has anyone tryed this with the latest DG Team revision 1018? I've recently flashed my DG834Nv1 with this firmware, will report back if wireless cuts off at midnight.

Edited by Dabbsy (Fri 01-Apr-11 21:02:13)

Standard User Dabbsy
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 17:03:27
Print Post

[re: Dabbsy] [link to this post]

No midnight disconnections with the DG Team firmware so far, looking good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to