Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bbawden
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 12:07:54
Print Post

Re: New router made internet slow

[re: bbawden] [link to this post]

Oh, and while I was at it, I turned my old BT HomeHub into a wireless access point using this guide - took me about 10 mins.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jan-11 12:17:10
Print Post

They will have done a request for a reset, so it should actually happen today or tomorrow. It should cause a re-sync of the line.

If it hasn't happened by about 3pm there isn't any harm in doing a single reconnection yourself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User bbawden
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 12:19:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. It's difficult to be patient!

Thanks again for your excellent help and advice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bbawden
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 16:45:11
Print Post

Would you expect a sudden drop in the noise margin, or for it to gradually come down?
It was 18db at about 13:00, and it's currently 16db.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 12-Jan-11 16:53:41
Print Post

When the reset is activated the margin goes straight down to 6dB and stays put until any line instability/noise causes the DLM to increase it.

Harry
Standard User bbawden
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 14:45:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi. Well it turns out that they didn't do it over the phone as I had thought.
The next level up of technical support rang me yesterday evening to try some more tests. I explained over and over that all that was required was a DNR reset. But they insisted on sending an engineer anyway who came today.

He did the DNR reset, and straight away my speed was back up to 8-10Mbps.
He said I should get up to 15 or 16Mbps when the line settles down.

I just want to say thanks for all your advice and help, everyone who commented, and particularly RobertoS.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:05:37
Print Post

smile
You were right though, no need for an engineer. So they wasted his time.

If you can run that BT Performance Test again, link in my first post, the results from that would be interesting.

Which router are you using? If it's the one you can get the stats from then those would be good to see as well, but don't go swapping routers at this stage if you can't get stats from the one you are on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Thu 13-Jan-11 20:31:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
smile
You were right though, no need for an engineer. So they wasted his time.

If you can run that BT Performance Test again, link in my first post, the results from that would be interesting.

Which router are you using? If it's the one you can get the stats from then those would be good to see as well, but don't go swapping routers at this stage if you can't get stats from the one you are on.

funny point you make here. with the sfi you see strange things, what may have happened is wholesale wanted an engineer in the exchange when they did this. it may have been a card wide issue and for some reason they don't like resetting the card blind.

i see it very often, no sync/poor speeds and what cures it is resetting the whole card, i would have though it would have been easy to do minus the engineer, but hey who its an easy fault if you get it

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to