Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Jan-11 10:36:48
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N is the new "Thomson ST586v6"...LEGENDARY

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Might be of interest if router is Broadcom chipped, taken from Kitz forum.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 22-Jan-11 10:52:03
Print Post

Re: DrayTek .....the SENSEI of routers

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

@ BatBoy

@ baby_frogbmella

Thanks for the heads up, Ill need to into the specs for various routers far deeper.

I guess there are people who have actually used DrayTeks and found them to be satisfactory on their connection.

As for Infineon chipsets shouldn't they be OK on some 21CN exchanges with Infineon chipped DSLAMs or MSANs?

Dr Dark
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:41:15
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
As for Infineon chipsets shouldn't they be OK on some 21CN exchanges with Infineon chipped DSLAMs or MSANs?
Dr Dark

Thats what i also used to think...until i tried the talktalk supplied Huawei 532 router. This router has a Infineon chipset and talktalk also use Infineon gear at the exchange. The Huawei synced around 1.5 meg lower than the Netgear DGND3300. The huawei went straight to the bin, couldn't even be bothered to flog it on ebay. Its generally accepted that Broadcom based routers provide the best stability and speeds, though some other chipsets (eg in BT 2700HGV router) are also very good.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 16639 / 1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12.8db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 22-Jan-11 17:42:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:54:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
try the value 50 to reduce SNR by 3db or value 1 to reduce SNR by 5.5db. So if your current SNR is 15db, entering 50 brings SNR to 12db and 1 to 9.5db. You can also put in intermediate numbers to see what effect this has....don't worry the router won't blow up! smile
Didn't imagine the router would blow up, I was just trying to get a feel for the numbers without too much messing around. smile Thanks for the info.

Edited by Tacitus (Sat 22-Jan-11 17:55:32)

(member) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:57:23
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
... Its also a cable/FTTC router so future proof.
Thanks for the interesting post - I'm a Broadcom (585v6) fan! Re. Future proof - is it 'IPv6 Ready' logo'd ?

Couldn't find any 'ipv6' logo on the router...so perhaps its not so future proof after all frown

Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jan-11 18:07:54
Print Post

Suggests it does do ipv6 http://alatest.com.au/reviews/firewalls-broadband-ro...

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Sat 22-Jan-11 23:27:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It doesn't yet. The hardware does apparently and Billion reps have said there will be an updated firmware to support it in Q1 of this year but I'll believe it when I see it. smile

Edited by e102gamma (Sat 22-Jan-11 23:32:23)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jan-11 23:12:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No, Draytek are overpriced garbage.

For ADSL yes. But the cable/ethernet versions are very useful for VPN, something the BIllion doesn't do either.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User bap1ow
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 08:32:41
Print Post

Got bored with my Netgear DGND3300 so decided to try the Billion 7800N as it gets raving reviews everywhere. Oh boy, what a brilliant router! It uses the same chipset as the DGND3300 (Broadcom 6358) so you are guaranteed a rock solid connection. However its wireless coverage is even better than the Netgear's. Easily the best router on the market for wireless coverage. Like the Netgear the SNR on the 7800N can be lowered to increase the sync speed (on 1.06a and above), however unlike the Netgear, the effect is permanent so even if you reboot the router your SNR stays at the new low value. Its also a cable/FTTC router so future proof. It really is a top top class router and worth every penny for all its features. Only problem is that it looks ugly frown

Read all of the reviews on this Bipec, thought I would treat myself and upgrade. Yes nice router lots of features, unfortunately I had to return mine it kept re-syncing every two days, wireless no better than my other router.
Have now gone back to my trusty BT Business hub has never let me down as yet.
My bad luck perhaps.

Bap
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 11:04:58
Print Post

[re: bap1ow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bap1ow:
Read all of the reviews on this Bipec, thought I would treat myself and upgrade. Yes nice router lots of features, unfortunately I had to return mine it kept re-syncing every two days, wireless no better than my other router.
Have now gone back to my trusty BT Business hub has never let me down as yet.
My bad luck perhaps.

Yes, the 2wire 2700HGV (aka BT Business Hub) is probably the best router to use on very long lines as it holds onto a connection very well, though broadcom based routers are also very good.

I believe a beta firmware has just been released for the 7800N which enables ipv6...anyone managed to get hold of this?