Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 10:18:48
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800N is the new "Thomson ST586v6"...LEGENDARY

[re: Aaron_01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Aaron_01:
Is there anyone that has started using a Billion 7800N having previously used a BT 2700HGV? Did it manage a sync as good as the 2700HGV did?

I'm interested in getting this router as I find the web interface on the 2700HGV to be a bit of a pain to manage, but it maintains excellent sync compared to other routers I've tried (in excess of an extra 1 mbit).

It's generally accepted that the 2700HGV is THE best router for very long/flakey lines. However if you don't have any line stability issues, then there's a good chance the Billion 7800N will give you a higher sync after you have lowered the downstream SNR margin (see post #2). I suggest you order the Billion from Amazon, have a good play with it for a week or two, if you're not satisfied just return it back to Amazon and you'll get your cash back smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17515/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Standard User Aaron_01
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 15:49:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
It's generally accepted that the 2700HGV is THE best router for very long/flakey lines. However if you don't have any line stability issues, then there's a good chance the Billion 7800N will give you a higher sync after you have lowered the downstream SNR margin (see post #2). I suggest you order the Billion from Amazon, have a good play with it for a week or two, if you're not satisfied just return it back to Amazon and you'll get your cash back smile

Thanks for you reply. I do have a stability issue on my line, if it counts as one - any sync made in the daytime doesn't hold overnight, even on the 2700HGV. I would have to do a sync at around 5pm (sunset) and it holds for months long. If the 2700HGV allowed me to set a target SNR of 7db I am pretty confident a daytime sync would hold overnight.

Sounds like an idea getting it from Amazon then returning it. Does the BIllion allow me to increment the target db by +1? I've only seen values such as +3 but a target of 9db would be a bit detrimental to my sync speed.

IDNet Home Max 4.0Mbps
BT 2700HGV v6

Edited by Aaron_01 (Fri 11-Mar-11 15:50:37)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(learned) Fri 11-Mar-11 17:39:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

is it the same firmware that is from the UK site?

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?_m=down...

although the release notes are fairly technical and it didn't say IPv6 in them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 17:47:42
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
is it the same firmware that is from the UK site?

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?_m=down...

although the release notes are fairly technical and it didn't say IPv6 in them.

No, its only Billion Australia website which has the latest firmware 1.06b-6 which enables ipv6 (Billion UK only has 1.06b)
http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/fd_wireless/b...

I personally wouldn't try the australian firmware on my 7800N, better to wait for the UK website to release 1.06b-6 or 1.07 Shouldn't be too long now smile

Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
(member) Fri 11-Mar-11 17:56:17
Print Post

[re: Aaron_01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Aaron_01:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Thanks for you reply. I do have a stability issue on my line, if it counts as one - any sync made in the daytime doesn't hold overnight, even on the 2700HGV. I would have to do a sync at around 5pm (sunset) and it holds for months long. If the 2700HGV allowed me to set a target SNR of 7db I am pretty confident a daytime sync would hold overnight.

Sounds like an idea getting it from Amazon then returning it. Does the BIllion allow me to increment the target db by +1? I've only seen values such as +3 but a target of 9db would be a bit detrimental to my sync speed.

Personally i would stick to the 2700HGV, however if you do get the Billion then use these values (approx) to increase the downstream SNR...play around with these values, it will mostly be down to trial and error.

117 = +1db
134 = +2db
150 = +3db
167 = +4db
184 = +5db
200 = +6db
increase by 17 to increase by 1db