Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Feb-11 14:24:25
Print Post

Re: New Router Advice

[re: Craig4646] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Craig4646:
Thanks for all the advice I've brought the BT Business Hub on eBay much cheaper than buying a new router.

Thanks E7er for the quick guide to unlocking the router, hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult when it arrives.
Hi Craig, good to hear you bought the BT2700HGV router.
When you configure the router, do not bother with the CD and do not use their silly numbers from the base of the router, for wireless security use your custom encryption key with WPA-PSK.

The wireless SSID (network name) can be whatever you wish I sometimes use Mickey Mouse.

Use Wireless Mode: 802.11g.

Check (Save) to save the settings.

Edit; useful hidden page for Management and Diagnostic Console.
http://192.168.1.254/mdc

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 09-Feb-11 14:54:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Feb-11 18:33:00
Print Post

[re: Craig4646] [link to this post]

we had a new build house and my father had the builders install phone sockets in every room no idea how this was done.
Probably you have cheap wire connecting the extensions, which is often a problem, and maybe on a star system somehow. How many wires are connected to T2 of the ADSL faceplate?
All I do know is when we first opened to the test socket (and plugged the filter and router into this socket) the rest of the extensions did not work, but the speed increased from 1-3meg. We then got a cable from the 'phone' extension of the filter and connected it to a nearby phone extension and it seems which after which the extensions worked.
Given what I say above, it's strange that with the phones connected back into the filter you don't go back to 1Mbps connection. No matter though at this stage smile.

Good luck with the new router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Craig4646
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Feb-11 11:56:03
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi,

I've got the BT2700HVG router now and got it all set up.. Its working with my ISP perfectly and running a lot better and smoother than my older router. my Sync speed has also increased to 3776Kbps.

I only have one problem and thats with my MacBook Air (First generation). I dont think its a problem with the router itself as we have an iMac, two Macbooks, a couple of iPhones all working with the router perfectly. Its just my air.
The problem is the air just cannot find the router (I've left the SSID as it is i.e. BTBusinessHub) - when i search for wireless devices it doesnt even find the SSID, i've even tried entering the network name manually with the encryption still with no luck. All our other Macs found the router without any problems.

I changed the encyption to WPA22-PSK and using my own passkey.

Does anyone know what the potential problem could be? Many thanks
Craig

AOLBroadband (home)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Craig4646
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Feb-11 12:03:32
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi,
Just re-read your post E7er and noticed you said this...

In reply to a post by E7er:
Use Wireless Mode: 802.11g.

Just changed by settings from both b/g to just g and its sorted out the problem.. Thanks again!
Craig

AOLBroadband (home)
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to