Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:29:34
Print Post

Re: Modem Router Suggestions

[re: towdgeezer] [link to this post]

There's usually some to be found on ebay, that's where I got a couple of Netgear DG834GTs as well as the 2700HGV.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 10:53:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The situation with wireless disconnects is as follows.
If I connect via my ethernet connected desktop PC then the connection stops up indefinitely.
When I connect via my wireless connected netbook the connection fails at least once a day.
When it fails my WAP disappears from the list of possible WAPS and there is no way I can see of re-connecting except by power-cycling my router. I've got my channel set to a channel well away from my neighbours WAPs according to insidder.
I'm new to all this Wi-Fi gubbins 'so if there's some other way of reconnecting please let me know.
Regards,
towdgeezer.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Feb-11 11:10:36
Print Post

There should be a way in the router GUI to disable then enable the wireless side. That may work quicker and better than re-booting it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Feb-11 13:43:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, which is the sorta thing I was getting at. There should be no need to reboot the router when only a device loses wireless connection. Another way might be a physical switch on the netbook, as on my laptop, to disable & then enable the wireless.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:17:40
Print Post

I don't think it is the norebook end though, because of "When it fails my WAP disappears from the list of possible WAPS "

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:34:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I take that to mean his router's SSID no longer appears in the list of SSIDs under "Connect to a Network" on his netbook.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 11:09:32
Print Post

Perhaps i'm not making myself clear.
If I leave the netbook switched off then my connection stops up ad infinitum from mydesktop. When I'm using the laptop and lose the connection, my router ssid disappears from the list and if I try to access the net using the desktop then that connection has failed as well although the router LED's indicate a normal connection. The only way to get my connection back is to power cycle the router or reboot it from the router using my desktop browser.
Hope this helps.
towdgeezer
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Feb-11 13:55:28
Print Post

Ah, I see! Up to now you said the desktop remains connected indefinitely.

When this happens, can you access to router itself (not the Net) from the desktop, via its web interface, and post its Status and Connected LAN Devices?

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Feb-11 14:30:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Ah, I see! Up to now you said the desktop remains connected indefinitely.

When this happens, can you access to router itself (not the Net) from the desktop, via its web interface, and post its Status and Connected LAN Devices?

How can he? The connection from desktop has failed too.

From the OPs latest comment, it seems to be that the notebook is causing the problem and corrupting the router somehow resulting in no connections being available to any device.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Feb-11 14:43:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
How can he? The connection from desktop has failed too.
Has it? Didn't he also say
In reply to a post by towdgeezer:
or reboot it from the router using my desktop browser.
?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to