Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Feb-11 14:55:37
Print Post

Re: Modem Router Suggestions

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by MHC:
How can he? The connection from desktop has failed too.
Has it? Didn't he also say
In reply to a post by towdgeezer:
or reboot it from the router using my desktop browser.
?

In his 11:09 post:
if I try to access the net using the desktop then that connection has failed as well although the router LED's indicate a normal connection.

But then there is a possible contradiction about rebooting -after reading several times it is still not 100% clear. It may be that the desktop can see the router but the router has lost connection to the outside world ...

Rebooting by a power cycle is probably easiest and quickest and ensures everything is reset whereas a soft reboot may leave some erroneous parameter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Feb-11 15:04:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

if I try to access the net using the desktop then that connection has failed as well
Duh!

I specifically said to access the router, not the Net, from the desktop. He did imply this was possible.

EDIT: The idea of asking for its Status was to check that router has really lost connection to the outside world.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 17-Feb-11 15:07:21)

Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:09:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I've asked my ISP to send me one of their supplied routers which I believe is a Thomson (Technicolor) 585v8.
According to the Plusnet forum site there are issues with this router as well at the moment for some people, but I'll keep you all posted.
The netbook a Samsung NC10 was a wireless washout from the start. The Atheros card wouldn't maintain contact for more than a few minutes at a time. I replaced the card with an Intel 5100 which gives me no more than one drop a day.
I've tried the Windows and Intel drivers but they both behave about the same. The Intel driver gives me a bit more information.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 13:33:57
Print Post

[re: towdgeezer] [link to this post]

I received my Plusnet supplied Thomson 585v8 router and I appear to have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.
I've been monitoring stats with RouterStats Lite and the noise margin jumped from 12 dB to 15 dB the night before last at about 3 am. I reset the router yesterday morning and it went down to 9dB.
Last night the margin jumped from 9 dB to 18dB in one large jump at around 1.30 am. It now won't reset below 15.5 dB.
My dowmload speed has dropped to 4000 kbps which is worse than I was getting on 20CN.
One factor may be the fact that my location is on the top of a hill at more than 900 feet asl.
The drop wire from the pole is about 100 feet long and the area has very high radio frequency reception. My router is connected via a premium filter to the master socket in the hall and the one corded phone is plugged into the filter.
So far the connection has not dropped (unlike the Netgear DGN1000) but my download speed has dropped to 4000kbps which is less than I was getting with 20CN.
One thing I have been contemplating is to put the router on a timeswitch and shut it down between say 10 pm and 8 am. I'm not sure if an overnight shutdown will cause as much bother as leaving it on overnight to the exchange equipment.
What do forum members think ?
towdgeezer
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Feb-11 14:28:39
Print Post

Answered here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/3967644...

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 24-Feb-11 15:51:30
Print Post

2700HGV version 5 or 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User towdgeezer
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 14:29:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

As I posted earlier I should like a 2-wire and I'm sure it would do the trick but as I mentioned earlier in the thread a purchase off ebay is just not going to happen.
Anyway it looks as though the Thomson has come up trumps at last.
I must have been too impatient because eventually the Speedtouch 585v8 has sorted itself out.
The noise margin suddenly fell from 18 dB to 6dB during the day and it dips to 3.5 dB at night and seems to be stable with no drops.
My download speed has risen to above 5000kbps and I'm happy with that. It's about a 25% improvement on my 20CN speeds. With my line length and altitude problem I don't think I shall better that by much.
towdgeezer
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to