Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jun-11 23:55:06
Print Post

Re: Billion Bipac 8200N

[re: Matfink] [link to this post]

Hi,

The modem/router comes in two flavours...modem only and modem/router combo.

I recently tested a modem only version and there was a definite reduction in sync with the Billion unit.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 11-Jun-11 00:02:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Matfink:
It's available now>
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

I'm still waiting for BT infinity but in the meantime, I'd be interested to know if anyone gets this modem to work with BT infinity and whether the broadbandbuyer website is correct in saying that a BT modem is still required.

Whilst it may work, officially the Ethernet port on the Openreach modem is the active Demarcation Point and is required to be used for the service as per the Terms & Conditions.
Standard User nicotine
(member) Thu 14-Jul-11 11:59:35
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Actually there is a new firmware available by request that improve the sync speed of the modem only version which is the 8200M.

Be Pro 12Mbps

Billion 7800N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nicotine
(member) Thu 14-Jul-11 12:05:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The 8200N will work with BT infiniity ok, main thing is you need to ensure you setup the VLAN on the router as BT requires some VLAN settings in order for it to work. There was a problem with 8200N where the sync speed was mouch lower than the BT modem but there is a new firmware that improves that. It was mainly affecting the upload speed.

You can use with or without the BT modem becasue the 8200N has VDSL modem built in, in case there is any problem where you might need to stick the BT modem back on for certain occasions, you can use the EWAN port on the 8200N to connect to the BT modem.

Be Pro 12Mbps

Billion 7800N
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jul-11 20:12:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Whilst it may work, officially the Ethernet port on the Openreach modem is the active Demarcation Point and is required to be used for the service as per the Terms & Conditions.

I have been told otherwise on more than one occasion.

Any experience with the new firmware anybody?

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Edge
(committed) Thu 11-Aug-11 19:58:18
Print Post

It certainly works with BT FTTC, I'm posting with one plugged in right now. All you have to do is set up the VLAN tag which is explained in the setup guide.

As for the EWAN port, as mentioned already earlier in the thread you can use Ethernet port 4 for this. It will allow you to connect the Bipac to a standard BT Openreach FTTC modem.

I got mine from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk when I returned a Draytek Vigor 2750n that I wasn't impressed with.

Edit:

Meant to add, mine came with the latest firmware already installed and so far I'm getting very good sync speed.

Edited by Edge (Thu 11-Aug-11 20:01:25)

Standard User quartermain
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 16:06:56
Print Post

[re: Edge] [link to this post]

How did you configure your 8200N? I'm having problems with the one I just bought.

When you enter the VLAN ID it doesn't let you apply changes unless you check the boxes for the LAN ports (not mentioned in the UK-specific paper manual supplied).

If you do check the LAN ports, it applies the changes then instantly goes deaf, so the browser times out trying to refresh the page. Then you can't talk to it unless you power cycle it, and since the config change hasn't been committed to flash, you are back where you started.
Standard User Edge
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 21:02:20
Print Post

[re: quartermain] [link to this post]

I just went to Configuration > Advanced > VLAN and filled it in like THIS and clicked 'Apply'.

Then I did 'Save Config' to store it to flash and it saved it without problem on mine.

Edited by Edge (Sat 29-Oct-11 21:03:40)

Standard User quartermain
(newbie) Sun 30-Oct-11 07:12:54
Print Post

[re: Edge] [link to this post]

Hmm, I see what you see except for an extra column for WLAN. But as soon as I hit Apply I can't talk to the router any more.

What's your firmware version? Mine is 1.02i.dt8.
Standard User Edge
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 10:38:45
Print Post

[re: quartermain] [link to this post]

Ahh yours is different to mine, mine is version 1.02h which is the same as the one available from Billion's site. Mine came with this version already installed, so I've not replaced the firmware yet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to