Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mac_d
(learned) Mon 16-May-11 21:21:29
Print Post

Re: Replacement for Thomson Speedtouch 585?

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Dammit, I shouldn't have left the router unplugged while I was trying to take photos earlier.... my BRAS profile has dropped from 6000 to 1000. Hopefully it'll sort itself out in the next couple of days, because although my speeds have been up and down llike a yo-yo, the line profile hasn't been affected - up until now.

Anyway, I can't get a decent enough shot, it ends up being too grainy to see the wires clearly enough.

The terminals are numbered 2, 3, 4, 5.

2 - blue with white stripes & orange with white stripes
3 - orange
4 - nothing
5 - white with orange stripes & white with blue stripes
Standard User mac_d
(learned) Mon 16-May-11 21:23:57
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Looks ok, only got wires on 2&5. New style Openreach branded master so has the ring wire filtered already.

Not quite as I've just replied to John007, there's also a wire at 3?

Edited by mac_d (Mon 16-May-11 21:26:57)

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Mon 16-May-11 21:26:25
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Looks ok, only got wires on 2&5. New style Openreach branded master so has the ring wire filtered already.
Granted, it is the newer OR NTE5/A but I'm not too happy about the extension wiring. Take another look at the second picture and observe:

(1) Two sets of extension cables connected, implying a minimal "star", at the very least.
(2) IDC no. 5 has white/orange from one cable and white/blue from another cable connected.
(3) IDC no. 3 has one of an orange pair connected. (Unable to distinguish if it is o/w or w/o . . .)

A few more pictures would be appropriate. A clear view of the wiring attached to the IDCs of the detachable front plate of the NTE5/A and of each of the extension sockets, please. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-May-11 16:40:38
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

My bad will put specs on next time, there appears to be an O/W in 3.

Dave
Standard User mac_d
(regular) Tue 17-May-11 22:15:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
A few more pictures would be appropriate. A clear view of the wiring attached to the IDCs of the detachable front plate of the NTE5/A and of each of the extension sockets, please. smile

I posted yesterday, I can't get a decent enough shot, it ends up being too grainy to see the wires clearly enough. Though I will try again at the weekend. I've also posted what I can see myself:

3 - orange
4 - nothing

I'm not sure what you want to see from the extensions? There are three in the house but only one is in use.

However, as I've just posted in the Zen section of the forum, I now have my router connected to the test socket and my line profile is back to normal, but the speed has dropped dramatically again this evening (4.5Mb earlier, down to 1.5Mb now). I thought being connected to the test socket would rule out any interference?
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Tue 17-May-11 22:45:37
Print Post

[re: mac_d] [link to this post]

3 - orange
4 - nothing

I'm not sure what you want to see from the extensions? There are three in the house but only one is in use.
There is something odd with the wiring and, with the lower face plate in place, that odd wiring is connected. Combined with your mention of three extension sockets, we can deduce that you have some form of "star" wiring -- not appropriate for the best broadband performance. So, in short, even though you may only use one extension socket they are all connected.

From what Dave (a.k.a. Rockh) and I can see in picture no. 2, IDC5 has w/o & w/b and IDC3 has o/w. The wiring is more complicated due to the fact that you have two internal cables, that lead off to extension sockets, connected in there.

Looking square-on into the back of the NTE5A, you will see the two white internal cables. For obvious enough reasons, call one the LH and the other the RH cable. What would be very useful to know, is what colours are connected to each IDC from each cable. Another picture or some more words from yourself -- whichever is more convenient -- would be appropriate. As would a picture of the connections in each extension socket (along with where each extension is sited -- e.g. kitchen, bedroom, lounge, etc.)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-May-11 09:26:47
Print Post

[re: mac_d] [link to this post]

It definitely looks as though the wire on T3 is orange with white, although you say it is orange.

That doesn't matter though. In theory it is filtered, but in practice the filter may be faulty. Gently remove it, and make sure it won't connect to anything else when you replace the faceplate. As you have two extensions connected, (the third you mention will be daisy-chained off one of the others), it seems odd that you don't have two on T3. Maybe the second connection there was added at a different time by someone else, but make sure there isn't another loose wire looking dodgy.

Others have asked for more detail. The important thing to establish is that the blue/white and white/blue come from the same extension cable, and the orange/white white/orange from the other. If you have a "blue" and an "orange" type from each cable that is wrong and very bad.

(Edit - typo).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 18-May-11 09:31:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-May-11 09:29:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
There is something odd with the wiring and, with the lower face plate in place, that odd wiring is connected. Combined with your mention of three extension sockets, we can deduce that you have some form of "star" wiring -- not appropriate for the best broadband performance.
Star wiring is fine. Even mixed star and daisy-chain as we seem to have here is fine.

I agree with you chasing up the rest of the setup though smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Wed 18-May-11 18:02:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Star wiring is fine. Even mixed star and daisy-chain as we seem to have here is fine.

I agree with you chasing up the rest of the setup though smile.
ACK. wink

We're both perfectionists. But being a scientist, I like to know all the facts before making a decision.

Standard User mac_d
(regular) Wed 18-May-11 21:15:25
Print Post

Cheers guys, I will try and take some more detailled photos this weekend, or if not, give more details in response to what you have asked.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but we originally only had standard sockets installed throughout the house. The cable comes in down through the attic/roof to a box in the hall cupboard and then the 1st socket was in the living room, but it was just a standard socket. Since then each bedroom has had an extension added. About 4 years ago I got BT to install a master socket and it was put in the bedroom where the router is situated.

I do also have a second line installed (from the 56k dial-up days), but it's no longer in use. I have wondered if I'd be as well getting it reactivated and using it instead of the main line! I do remain to be convinced that the wiring is really an issue though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to