Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 17-Jan-12 15:01:56
Print Post

Re: Need Cheap ADSL Router (Broadcom 6358)

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

tp-link w8960 has the same broadcom chipset as billion 7800, unlike billion 7700, which has a different broadcom chipset from the former two.

here's the info:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_models
Standard User slybunda
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 23:48:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

hi all, i got a new td-w8960n to replace my draytek vigor 2600vg, however i noticed that although i do get faster sync speeds with the tp-link if the tp-link disconnects its resyncs and gets wan ip address but it wont pass any data over the wan connection, its like its stuck, a power cycle or login to router gui and reboot fixes the problem till it looses sync again and repeats the process. wifi and everything else, works fine.

im using the latest firmware, my draytek when looses sync reconnects again fine, anyone have any idea why the tp-link does this? iv also had a billion bipac 5200s and a netgear dg834g v3 do the exact same thing the tp-link does.

looses sync, resyncs, gets wan ip but no data passes over the wan connection till i do soft reboot or hard reboot.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Feb-12 00:34:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So to answer your question, the SpeedTouch 585v6 and v7 are Broadcom 6348 based and seem to me to connect a few hundred kbps faster than the Netgears I'm about to list. However they aren't too good at handling noisy lines and can often overheat, causing trouble. The overheating is easily cured by propping one side up 1"/2.5cm to create a throughflow of air.
Thompson TG585 V7-8 give a faster sync than a netgear dg834v4 ,lol if ya say so right yeah, sorry but that's just b.......... s That pile of junk is cheap for a reason, it's also not user friendly most of the important commands being hidden away telenet based cli commands , as they aren't included in the very basic slow at loading GUI , that's why isp's give em away do your self a favour don't waste your money on a thompson buy a netgear

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 21:15:31
Print Post

585v7 would give near the same sync but not the v8 as it uses some [censored] infion chipset (only works well with BT lines so it seems).

Anyways if you want something cheap and decenting using the broadcom chipset try the TP-Link TD-W8960N

BE*Unlimited 19068/1403Kbps @ 3db INP1

Edited by epyon (Sun 19-Feb-12 21:17:12)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Feb-12 21:35:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by epyon:
585v7 would give near the same sync but not the v8 as it uses some [censored] infion chipset (only works well with BT lines so it seems).

Anyways if you want something cheap and decenting using the broadcom chipset try the TP-Link TD-W8960N
Any thing is better than the Thompson junk isp's like to throw at their customer base , the tg585v7 gave me a lower sync than my netgear does, and things like port forwarding is very quick and easy to configure,all within it's Gui and the netgear has the spare recourses to respond to icmp requests without a delay , and does not have any backdoor's or connect to unknown entities without the users knowledge (unless of course they are familiar with it's CLI) I know that these can be disarmed but find that it's self unacceptable ,
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 24-Feb-12 11:51:36
Print Post

For anyone thinking of buying the Billion Bipac 7700N I found that it can suffer from overheating issues.
Standard User GunJack
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 15:32:29
Print Post

Why do people always seem to forget about D-Link DSL-2640B and DASL-2740B when talking about decent routers ??

2640B uses 6348 chipset, and 2740B the 6358. Both will work with routerstats and DMT for tweaking, and on my line out-perform the netgear 834 family of BCM routers. Can both be had quite cheaply on ebay.

I tweak down to 3dB (daytime) with my 2640 with no problems at all smile

oh, and don't go for the 2640R or 2740R models, NOT BCM chipsets, possibly Infineon but not tweakable or good frown

Edited by GunJack (Fri 24-Feb-12 22:52:02)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to