Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-May-11 15:37:11
Print Post

Re: Need Cheap ADSL Router (Broadcom 6358)

[re: slybunda] [link to this post]

or you could get a 585v6 or v7 off ebay, there was lots of ex sky netgears on there not that long ago, you would have to flash the firmware though,and make sure it was a v4 model
but £40 + for a new netgear DG834 v4 ain't bad, just depends if you need wireless or not,Billion routers tend to be more expensive but they do usually have more features
billion 7800
this is a more upto date version also broadcom based

Standard User slybunda
(newbie) Sun 22-May-11 16:42:36
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies again. i have a buffalo wifi access point so not really need a wifi router, although if the billion 7700 is good enough then i could remove the buffalo to get less clutter.

i will wait for a week or so and see if the 7700 comes into stock anywhere at cheapo price then i will purchase.

the wifi router i have is a buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh. if there is a ethernet modem i can get that uses the broadcom chipset then i could use the buffalo as the main router and just feed it the internet from a ethernet modem. anyone know of any cheapo ethernet modems that use the broadcom chipset im after?

id like to do this on the cheapo, also the netgear is good but its old, for tenner more i get the bipac 7700n which seems to be well worth the extra 10 quid over the dg834. but it depends if expansis gets stock and charges £50 for it or more.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-May-11 19:45:28
Print Post

Some broadcom chipped routers listed here but you would need to find out the chip number if that is important to you.

Alastair

omadasafisho live BQM graph

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slybunda
(newbie) Sun 22-May-11 20:43:14
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

that list is rather old but still nice to know. if i come across something cheapo i could get it. thompson speedtouch ones seem to be real cheapo, i looking into one of those at the moment. possibly get one for under 30 quid.
Standard User slybunda
(newbie) Sun 22-May-11 20:49:49
Print Post

£30 inc free delivery:
http://adsl24.co.uk/compstore/thomson/Thomson-510-v6...

thomson 510 v6, what chipset does this one use?

thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-May-11 21:42:02
Print Post

Well on their list it is a Broadcom, so (a) that probably means all versions, as they split up Netgears, and (b) if it isn't you can therefore return it. I would be almost certain it will be a 6348 not 6358.

I'd have a go. Thomson = SpeedTouch by the way.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-May-11 22:08:06
Print Post

The Speedtouch 510v6 is actually the cheaper Broadcom chipset, 6338. So is the 585v7. The 585v6 was a 6438. The 585v8 is Infineon, so not Broadcom at all.

We do have DG834 v4's in stock which is your best bet as it's a 6348 (no real difference to 6358 IMHO)

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Sun 22-May-11 22:09:28)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-May-11 18:02:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In particular the huge focus in these forums on the Broadcom chip benefits is mainly to do with O2 and Be LLU, where Broadcom exchange equipment is used, and O2/Be use a setting on that which can improve performance if the user modem also has Broadcom.

and before BE's big expansion / being bought by O2 - the same applied to Bulldog (before C&W sold them).

I assume the OP is still connected to the same bulldog/C&W DSLAMs, and in which case the broadcom chips will help. I used a ST516v6 when I was with bulldog in bridge mode. Nice tiny box, didn't get warm - but it didn't support Annex M.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User nonBEliever
(regular) Tue 24-May-11 02:05:18
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
The Speedtouch 510v6 is actually the cheaper Broadcom chipset, 6338. So is the 585v7. The 585v6 was a 6438. The 585v8 is Infineon, so not Broadcom at all.

We do have DG834 v4's in stock which is your best bet as it's a 6348 (no real difference to 6358 IMHO)

Is the correct answer the other specs for the chipset of the 585v7 incase anyone was still interested are
CPU: BCM6338KFBG
Switch: BCM5325EKQMG
Wireless: BCM4318KFBG
Flash: S29GL032N90TFI04 (Spansion 32 Megabit)
RAM: DS1216AGTA-75-E (Elpida 128 Megabit)

Dunno who said it was a 6348 chipset but obviously they dunno what they were on about.

The 6358 chipset (depending on model of router it is in) is capable of running at a higher clock speed than the 6348 and makes the 6338 chipsets look very poor in comparison. (the 6348 and 6358 are faster). The 6358 is not only capable of wireless N and faster clock speed over both the 6348 and 6338 but also can be teamed with higher amounts of Flash and RAM. (Again though that will depend on actual router model).

For the most part a BCM6348 chipset will suit most people fine (unless they insist on using what i deem is the pointlessness of wifi on any router even N rated). Its a resonable paced chipset has a decent amount of RAM in most cases and is reliable.

The Thomson 585v7 which so many providers seem to give away like smarties with its horrid 6338 chipset is a nasty slow heap by todays standards.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Tue 24-May-11 08:20:58
Print Post

[re: nonBEliever] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nonBEliever:
For the most part a BCM6348 chipset will suit most people fine (unless they insist on using what i deem is the pointlessness of wifi on any router even N rated). Its a resonable paced chipset has a decent amount of RAM in most cases and is reliable.

Whilst i agree that wired is preferable to wireless, wifi N is hardly "pointless" and provided you don't have too much channel interference, then its pretty damn good. For example in my detached house, my Billion 7800N sits upstairs in the bedroom and broadcasts HD films from the internet (Netflix) wirelessly to my TV downstairs (connected to Boxee Box) without any stuttering at all.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up