Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wannabemedic
(newbie) Sun 06-Nov-11 13:02:57
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834G v3 - compatible with ADSL2?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've attached photos of the master socket. It looks like the ring wire has already been disconnected.

As for the extensions (there are two in the house), they are both wired into the back of the master socket.

The extension I'm using was fitted probably when the house was built in the mid 1980s.

http://i52.tinypic.com/345czfo.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/91i3cy.jpg

As of this morning the router stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6578 kbps 440 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 13 db
Noise Margin 9 db 19 db

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Nov-11 13:18:19
Print Post

[re: wannabemedic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wannabemedic:
Connection Speed 6578 kbps 440 kbps
That's more like it! You could probably get over 7 Meg if your NM was reduced to 6 dB.

What socket was that from?

Did you re-sync/reboot router this AM?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
(newbie) Sun 06-Nov-11 13:24:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That's from the extension socket (wired via back of master socket) - I should say I ordered the 24Mbps "boost" last night so the increase in sync speed may be due to that... still waiting for an increase to upload speeds to happen.

The router was rebooted this AM. I actually tend to switch it off at night if nobody else is using it. Perhaps I should leave it switched on 24/7 for the next 10 days in case there's a stabilisation period?

Over the past years the sync has never been this high and I've not changed anything in terms of hardware setup.

Edited by wannabemedic (Sun 06-Nov-11 13:25:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Nov-11 13:33:43
Print Post

You haven't been "boosted" yet. The Up Sync tells us that. Also you will see a rise in your attn. by about 3 dB.

There's no reason not to switch router off overnight, despite what ISP says, as long as you don't keep re-syncing it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Nov-11 15:27:11
Print Post

WIring is fine, looks like the correct stuff is there. Builders often use bell-wire which is bad for broadband, but that isn't.

It might be worth checking both extensions to make sure the White/Blue goes to T5 in the same way as on the master. If there is a swap-over that is not good.

From what I can see of the master socket I don't think the ring wire would have mattered, as I think it is filtered anyway. But no contact cannot fail, a filter can.

Which ISP and package is it? "Boost" sounds like Plusnet or TalkTalk, but it may be some other one. Other factors can be affected by the ISP, such as the noise margin settings, mentioned by XRaySpeX, so we can't really advise on that without knowing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-11 12:42:35
Print Post

The ISP is AOL (now part of TalkTalk of course). I will check the extensions.

Just out of interest how long would you expect it to take for the upload speed to increase (i.e. the boost to take effect)?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-11 15:01:49
Print Post

Depends how efficient AOL support is. I would expect 2-3 days. The change should be instant once they get round to it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(newbie) Tue 08-Nov-11 13:48:38
Print Post

I've spotted this discussion in the AOL part of the forum:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aol/f/4040084-got-a...

Still no change to the upload speed, it's just the download speed that has increased. I wonder whether there is going to be an increase in upload as surely it would have happened at the same time as the download speed increased...
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Wed 09-Nov-11 15:41:52
Print Post

HI All,

Although you may not be aware we can also support AOL queries via the TalkTalk Members forum

feel free to register and we will be able to provide account and service support as necessary.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk online community department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(learned) Thu 10-Nov-11 17:13:30
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Thanks Mark, I've had a look at the forums but it seems you can't do very much for AOL customers yet - there was a thread with a similar query to mine regarding upload speeds and it looks like it had to be escalated to the CEO's office for resolution as your forum staff couldn't "see" the details of the connection due to the customer being with AOL.

I contacted AOL via email support a couple of days ago and hopefully they will respond soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to