Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paul_liverpoolfc
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-11 19:41:35
Print Post

Re: Which settings for Billion 7800N router?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I meant the removable bit (which the micro-filter connects to).

It doesn't have any wires on the reverse of it, so we haven't got any extension sockets.

When I mentioned two connectors, I was thinking I had this other type of faceplate with a connector for the broadband cable and another for the phone cable.

Thanks to everyone for their help - as you can tell, I'm not very clued-up on phone sockets!

GPRS > 3G > Wanadoo 1MB 2GB/month > Zen Internet 3MB 50GB/month > Vivaciti 5MB 100GB/month
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-11 20:37:08
Print Post

[re: paul_liverpoolfc] [link to this post]

As Mr.Saffron said earlier, that looks like a very low sync rate for the attenuation. What do the router stats look like if you use the original (pre Billion) router ? Something doesn't add up.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:17:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'd hazard a guess that the other socket in the property that does not work for a phone possibly still has a cable going to it, perhaps with just one leg connected, creating an imbalanceand impacting the service. If this is the case then I'd be expecting the SNR margin to be lower once it is darker

Otherwise its just one of those lines that does not do as well as it can.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Dec-11 11:25:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've just started learning to tweak the Billion, but my SNR is too low from what I have read, but it is stable has not dropped once.

Is there any chance I could improve what I already have? Increase the download speed?

The SNR value I did input was 15.

Would really appreciate all your guys help.

DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1204
Downstream 6976
SNR Margin(Upstream) 6.6
SNR Margin(Downstream) 1.8
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 13.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 38.0
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Dec-11 11:58:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

That line is under performing, have you done the various in home phone wiring checks, e.g. speed/values from the test socket?

You are tweaking the line to within an inch of its life currently, and it still slower than what we would expect, which is 8Meg or more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Dec-11 15:28:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
That line is under performing, have you done the various in home phone wiring checks, e.g. speed/values from the test socket?

You are tweaking the line to within an inch of its life currently, and it still slower than what we would expect, which is 8Meg or more

Well I have upgraded the DSL cable from the modem to the filter, have an upgraded filter and have a BT iPlate installed.

What more could I do?

O2 (who I am with) have told me I can get 8 meg broadband, but I think I can get more..
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:06:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

We've just installed the new Adslnation XTE-2005 faceplate and my speed has gone up by 1MB on Speedtest.net and my modem is now syncing at 7212kbps!!!

I wonder if I can tweak it further.

I really wish I'd have installed this faceplate before.

Upstream 940
Downstream 7212
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.7
SNR Margin(Downstream) 0.8
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 25.1
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 48.0

My speed test result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1663270478.png

GPRS > 3G > Wanadoo 1MB 2GB/month > Zen Internet 3MB 50GB/month > Vivaciti 5MB 100GB/month
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:34:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

1. Unplug everything and check, connectors can be dirty and cause problems
2. Is there any other phone extensions in the property? While the iPlate will help if there are, if these extensions are not using twisted pair cables they can still cause problems for ADSL.

Hence why we still say test at the test socket, which should mean no other phone works in the house at that time.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:36:06
Print Post

[re: paul_liverpoolfc] [link to this post]

If you are going to hold a 6dB target margin then no more speed.

BT Wholesale can push a 3dB margin on very stable WBC lines, and this may add another 0.5 to 1Meg of speed. Be lines also have that option.

(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:05:27
Print Post

OK - if nothing else, it's made our phone socket tidier without the dangling micro-filter.

After my last set of tweaking on the old faceplate, I maintained an almost constant speed of 5MB.

Thanks to everyone for their help in this thread - I really do believe I've got my maximum possible speed now.

Edited by paul_liverpoolfc (Thu 22-Dec-11 19:52:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to