Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 09:35:59
Print Post

Laptop won't connect

[link to this post]

My Dell won't connect to any wifi networks this morning, nor will it make a connection to the BT Hub3 by Ethernet. I have a built in Intel N adapter, which I tried all the usual steps with before disabling it and trying a BT N wifi dongle; no connection there either. The Hub is connected with an excellent signal but the laptop won't recognise it. All my other computers connect as usual so it's not a router or Infinity question. So I disabled my firewall and set IE9 to the lowest security setting - nada.
This is definitely an isolated problem on the computer and not the network. Just wondering what else I can try. The only thing I can think of is a System Recovery to yesterday, when everything was fine. Strangely, IPconfig reports all the correct addresses at ethernet and wireless, even though there's no connection.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 09:52:49
Print Post

Re: Laptop won't connect

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Hi,

Does your laptop have McAfee Antivirus installed by any chance?
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:05:58
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Yes! But I disabled the firewall and tested that aspect.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:07:49
Print Post

Hi, there was a problem with the McAfee updates last week - I suggest completely uninstalling McAfee, restart the system and you should have Internet access back - then you can download it and reinstall it...

Nice way to spend Saturday morning, thanks McAfee!

Edited by TechGuyUK (Sat 25-Aug-12 10:09:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:56:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by TechGuyUK:
I suggest completely uninstalling McAfee ....
Can you do that without the downloadable "Uninstall" tool from McAfee?

Dreadful IS anyway. Server-side ones seem to be good, PC ones far from it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 11:00:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi, I don't know exactly what the OP has installed - but the general info about the problem suggests a simple uninstall will retore the Internet connection and you can go from there..
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 11:26:33
Print Post

I wouldn't re-install it - much better to install Comodo IS http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php IMO smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Aug-12 11:29:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by TechGuyUK:
Hi, there was a problem with the McAfee updates last week - I suggest completely uninstalling McAfee, restart the system and you should have Internet access back - then you can download it and reinstall it...

Nice way to spend Saturday morning, thanks McAfee!
Is this problem documented?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 12:21:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yes, it's mentioned a lot if you Google McAfee+loss of networking or similar. Use the date filter for last month/week, as there are many items about this company's dodgy updates in the past. There's an article on their website too with complicated instructions about how to get out of it. Dell have also published a warning. So I'm paying nearly £50 a year to have my computer screwed - back to Norton, I suppose. (Now waiting for 50+ negative posts about the latter, but it works well on one of my oldest lappies; no hassles in 6 years, but it is very resource hungry).

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Aug-12 12:36:18
Print Post

I use MSE and Windows firewall because it's free. I have my network behind a router firewall and I don't have any hassles either.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 12:38:49
Print Post

Hi Geoff,

No problem - happy to help, I got notification as it caused problems for a few enterprise users as well.

Norton isn't as bad as it was pre-2012 by all accounts, but for a home users on a laptop, you really should give Microsoft security essentials a try, it's very light and hardly slows systems at all and the detection is actually very good.

I never ever though I'd recommend or use a M$ AV product - but this on does actually work and finds all sorts of odd things other manage to miss.

It's also quick and easy to install and remove - so well worth a go.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 13:01:05
Print Post

Does security essentials work with XP? I have another laptop with McAfee whose subscription runs out in November. I'm really not going to pay to renew a dodgy programme!

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 13:07:25
Print Post

Hi Geoff - Yes, you need it to be on SP3 though - which it really should be...
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 13:31:04
Print Post

It is!

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Aug-12 13:32:37
Print Post

My changes:-

Dr. Solomons got taken over;
Norton Internet Security for several years, till it gor so utterly bloated it really killed the machine;
Norton 360, hoping it was a new kernel so more efficient. It wasn't, so ditched it after a few months;
Kaspersky IS, two or three years. That too became bloated after being excellent. Also went down in the AV comparisons I watch
Avera, one or two years. Also seemed to go off;
Now been on the latest Norton IS for two or three years and perfectly happy with it.

I like AV Comparatives. The detailed analysis of the test results is very useful, to weigh against the overall results.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Aug-12 15:25:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I like AV Comparatives. The detailed analysis of the test results is very useful, to weigh against the overall results.

I'm a big fan of PC Pro's magazine's comparative reviews but the same as AV Comparativies they tend to review these products in isolation.

With more and more people using web/cloud email (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo mail etc) thanks to ISPs including Sky and Virgin using Google to power the email - the email scanning is no longer required.

Some AV tools *really* wreck machines in the name of security. I've seen servers that used to host 5,000 users file&print brought to its knees in less than 3 hours after McAfee was installed. Remove McAfee and the server works fine for weeks without a hitch.

I go with MS, especially if you're using Vista or 7 (or 8). They're unlikely to break Windows in the name of security smile

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Ordered Sky Fibre Pro 45.6/6.5 - 4th sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/Sky
BQM
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 15:28:04
Print Post

My cousin also uses Norton IS and he's very happy with it smile

I use KIS 2012 as a freebee from Barclays but I tried the free Comodo IS a while ago and found it just as effective and very similar to KIS 2012 - both are very light on system resources also, actually KIS 2012 is only using ~20,000K as I speak.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 18:45:28
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Interestingly, my bank screwed up a few weeks ago and they were really excellent in getting out information, progress updates and even financial compensation. McAfee has my email address which they use without hesitation to bombard me with offers and reminders that they want another pile of cash to continue my protection. But I had to find out about this from the forum here. Anyway the fix involves Safe Mode to get onto the web, then running a file which will allegedly fix it all. I'll report back. Just wondering though whether to do a restore to the week before last sometime as I haven't changed anything that I can remember. I could then do a manual definitions update which should not contain the buggy ones. Can anyone say which would be the better solution. I'm just wary about running yet more McAfee script on my computer.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Aug-12 18:58:01
Print Post

Your post is unclear. What is this safe mode procedure you are attempting, and what does your bank have to do with anything?

Also is this file from a reputable source?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Aug-12 19:01:40
Print Post

OK, your original problem.

Let's clarify a few things

Did you change anything between last night / the last time it was rebooted, and between now? ANYTHING AT ALL?

Connect the laptop to your router with a cable, rule out wireless for one moment
Can you PING the router IP address?
Can you PING www.google.com?

Can you run an "ipconfig /all" - post the ENTIRE contents here please.

Admittedly, I am not aware of these McAfee problems which may well be the cause if they put out an update which did things like this, but no basic diagnostics like above have been carried out so far....

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Aug-12 19:05:51
Print Post

Taking those in reverse order:-
do a restore to the week before last sometime as I haven't changed anything that I can remember. I could then do a manual definitions update which should not contain the buggy ones.
I don't like this one bit. Presumably the problem update contained something useful as well as the bug, and if so you will lose that. I wouldn't even be certain it would work;
the fix involves Safe Mode to get onto the web, then running a file which will allegedly fix it all ... I'm just wary about running yet more McAfee script on my computer.
Messy. A toss-up between that and TechGuyUK's recommendation I would say, though I would be tempted to try his way first. Note it needs to be Safe Mode with Networking, not pure Safe Mode, if you go that way.

My recommendation, because I'm so strongly against the product, would be to download the McAfee delete routine, (like some or all Norton products you can't just delete it properly - in fact IIRC it can re-install itself), and choose one from the AV Comparatives list instead. A few quid wasted by losing the outstanding McAfee subscription could be worth it for peace of mind. Particularly if you pick one of the free ones. The last time I looked most of those have higher detail scores than McAfee.

If you turn on Windows Firewall and run in Safe Mode with Networking to do this, you should be fine. Watch out when installing new ones though, that the McAfee Firewall is definitely not running. Many products can stop competing ones installing. Windows Firewall is usually OK and allows them.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 19:51:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
...Can anyone say which would be the better solution. I'm just wary about running yet more McAfee script on my computer.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 - I used it successfully a few years ago for a thorough mcafee clean out before installing another AV program because any bits and pieces left behind by mcafee can cause a corrupt or failed installation of other AV software…
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Aug-12 19:55:41
Print Post

Also just to note, as usual, use the built-in Add/Remove program uninstall method first, ideally in normal Windows (not safe mode), and then follow up with the removal tools second. The norton removal tool is a partial exception as sometimes it invokes the native uninstaller as part of the process.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Aug-12 20:05:00
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Can not remember whether mcafee has it's own uninstaller but the document I linked to suggests using Windows Add or Remove Programs/Programs and Features for the uninstall and as you say must be done in normal Windows.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Aug-12 23:16:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Can not remember whether mcafee has it's own uninstaller but the document I linked to suggests using Windows Add or Remove Programs/Programs and Features for the uninstall and as you say must be done in normal Windows.

That document links to the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool) but states to use add/remove first (or Programs & Features as its known in Vista, Win7 and Win8).

BQM
Standard User mandrake127
(newbie) Sat 25-Aug-12 23:27:28
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Interestingly I was called to a Dell Inspiron desktop today that could not connect to the Internet since last Saturday (18th). I could not ping the router, but the card was taking DHCP info from the router. Checked the router with a laptop and it was fine. Thinking there was a network card problem I re-installed the driver, no change. Then inserted another network card and installed it ok. It too took DHCP info (ip address etc) but could not ping the router. Tried a USB wifi dongle which also installed ok, but could not connect. Examined event logs and the Mcafee logs but only confusing information seen. Having read this thread and visiting the Mcafee site I am suspecting this AV software (not the first time Mcafee have done this, a few years ago one of their updates devastated every computer in the school where I worked.) Once I get permission from the owner I think I'm going to send this product to the great big gashbin in the sky.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 00:15:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by 4M2:

That document links to the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool) but states to use add/remove first (or Programs & Features as its known in Vista, Win7 and Win8).

Sure smile

What I've just noticed also is that the removal tool has become bloated also: I've still got the one from 2009, version 2.0.155.1, which is less than 600KB; now the tool is more than 2MB.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 00:27:58
Print Post

[re: mandrake127] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mandrake127:
...(not the first time Mcafee have done this, a few years ago one of their updates devastated every computer in the school where I worked.)...

And my LAN - amongst other things it became impossible to "see" other devices on the network and obviously file transfers were impossible. So I battled with it for a few days, after that terrible update a few years back, got nowhere with it and trashed it!
Standard User mandrake127
(newbie) Sun 26-Aug-12 00:32:29
Print Post

Further to the above the owner is very reluctant to lose the Mcafee software as he has just renewed his installation fee. Examination of the Mcafee logs does suggest an update occurred after which this problem was encountered. Fortunately there was a restore point from the day before. Restored to this and was able to re-acqure the internet connection. Downloaded and ran the Mcafee Virtual Tech as recommended on their TS101446 and it has found 5 problems, including two registry key fixes and a core fix.
On your laptop examine the Mcafee logs and try and determine if an update occurred at the same time as your problem. A handy restore point would be nice. Alternatively Mcafee's Safe Mode with networking workaround might be doable. Here the desktop PC now appears good, but the owner has been without the Internet for a week all due to Mcafee. (If I had my way, I would get all the spyware/virus writers in the world and amputate their hands, then shoot all the AV people, but I suspect that would seem over the top. ☺ )
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-12 01:14:10
Print Post

If the owner had any cells left in his brain he would cut his losses and uninstall the McAfee software immediately given the chaos it has caused, and install a free alternative. But no doubt he thinks McAfee is great and has proteted him from thousands of viruses and hacking attempts. The lack of internet for a week and £30 renewal fee being a small price to pay smirk

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 01:27:29
Print Post

BTW. Is it still not possible to download and save the mcafee installer? When I was messing about with it a few years ago, each time I uninstalled I had to run the re-installation from the mcafee site for each machine and was unable to save the installer. This was a hassle because at the time I had quite limited bandwidth.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 10:36:57
Print Post

Thanks for all the replies. Luckily I have my work computer at home plus various others so I'm not rushing to do anything until I've read all the superb advice here. My files etc. on the affected computer are all intact so it's not a big issue as yet. Mandrake, you say a Restore Point worked for you - what was the date that the problem update came through? Do you remember? The reason I ask is that the Security Center on mine reports May 18th, after which there was nothing more downloaded. But I was definitely on the Internet up to Thursday last week (23rd) on that computer. The update is the one that McAfee mention in their article and I'm sure it's what's caused this - just wondering why it took 5/6 days after it installed to wipe out my networking. I'm going to go with the Restore point option I think. But I do have a System Image from Win7 Backup and Restore stored on an WD external drive from two weeks ago - would that work better or would it be over the top?

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-12 11:52:01
Print Post

System restore is best to avoid if you can.

Before going crazy with restore points and restoring backups why don't you try some of the less complicated procedures first, and then if those fail you can always do the restore then..

As requested, can you post an ipconfig here please?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 13:09:10
Print Post

I followed the advice on the McAfee site - Safe Mode with Networking then downloading and running their repair tool. It has worked and I'm now able to connect to the Internet after installing the latest McAfee updates. The recent Viruscan DAT file is 6815 by the way and users should check that they have that one. I agree that restoring backups is often fraught with danger - I did use System Restore on XP a few times and it seemed to work OK. Never tried with Win7 though.
To answer a previous question - sorry to be rude and not reply - the ipconfig stats were all fine (correct IP addresses, gateways etc.) but I couldn't ping the router (HUB3) nor connect to it via Ethernet. No pings to anywhere, in fact. It seems that this buggy update had messed up some registry entries and that's where the problem was, preventing all traffic irrespective of connections values.
One final moan - why do computer manufacturers make it so hard to get into Safe Mode? I must have tried half a dozen times to get the boot menu up - I hear it's a well-known problem with faster systems.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Aug-12 13:23:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
To answer a previous question - sorry to be rude and not reply - the ipconfig stats were all fine (correct IP addresses, gateways etc.) but I couldn't ping the router (HUB3) nor connect to it via Ethernet. No pings to anywhere, in fact. It seems that this buggy update had messed up some registry entries and that's where the problem was, preventing all traffic irrespective of connections values.

Modern antivirus programs insert themselves into the network stack between the operating system and the network card (either ethernet or wireless).

This is so they can watch for and detect security issues - but its one of the most critical parts of the operating system.

If the AV vendor has a bug in their code (e.g. a memory leak) this can bring the whole OS down, including blue screens. Caused by 3rd party code and not Microsoft's fault (despite the number of people who blame MS).

BQM
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-12 13:56:36
Print Post

On the safe mode note I have heard that a few times, but never had a single problem myself. The trick is to start pressing F8 repeatedly while the computer is in the final stage of the BIOS POST, and then you are guaranteed to be pressing F8 at the right moment when needed.

A lot of people are under the impression they are only allowed to press F8 once and so inevitably fail lots of times.

The problem with system restore is that, as you know, it is designed to leave files and settings as they are but restore system and program files, so you can cause inconsistencies by using it.

After that experience, I'd be uninstalling McAfee right now! smile

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 14:51:52
Print Post

Yes, you're right. I have a year left on this laptop (I paid for 3 via Dell when I bought it) and about 4 months on another much older computer. I'm working on the assumption that it will be 13 months at least before they c**k up again with an update so I should be safe. It seems to happen with them about once every 3 or 4 years.

IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 15:43:53
Print Post

I wouldn't go down the repair tool and system restore etc. route myself. If you want to keep using mcafee, which is quite understandable in your situation, then I would uninstall, use the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool) and possibly use something like CCleaner to tidy up the registry, then do a fresh install of your mcafee product.

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 26-Aug-12 15:44:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to