Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MinnieMinno
(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:17:02
Print Post

Re: Which Modem Router in a Broadband Slowspot?

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Interesting stats. The attenuation indicates your line length is about 4.5 kilometres or 2.8 miles.

Did you use a phone in the test socket when you were using it or just broadband?

We had one BT filter with a phone connected and the modem router. Now we have the same set-up with the BT filter plate. No extra phone cable as we have a Siemens Gigaset. We bought that in order to cut down on phone cabling in the house.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:28:13
Print Post

[re: MinnieMinno] [link to this post]

Yes, router choice can make a big difference to your broadband connection! smile
See the link in my signature for my router story. The N150 isn't the best in my experience.

You are on a long line with that attenuation so you can't expect a lot more though - see MrSaffron's(TBB) calculator: www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php

You need to read up (lots of info here on TBB!) about how to optimise your line to get the most out of it and to understand how things work...

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:34:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MinnieMinno:
Interesting stats. The attenuation indicates your line length is about 4.5 kilometres or 2.8 miles.

Did you use a phone in the test socket when you were using it or just broadband?

We had one BT filter with a phone connected and the modem router. Now we have the same set-up with the BT filter plate. No extra phone cable as we have a Siemens Gigaset. We bought that in order to cut down on phone cabling in the house.

Are you sure that you don't have any extension sockets in the house that are not in use. If you have, do they still work with or without the filtered faceplate fitted to the master socket, i.e. phone and modem/router connected to the front of the faceplate or phone and modem/router connected, via a dangle filter, to the test socket?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:39:42
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Are you sure that you don't have any extension sockets in the house that are not in use. If you have, do they still work with or without the filtered faceplate fitted to the master socket, i.e. phone and modem/router connected to the front of the faceplate or phone and modem/router connected, via a dangle filter, to the test socket?

Absolutely sure! We took them all out. Our only landline connection is the Gigaset and the base is plugged into the master socket.
(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:42:50
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Yes, router choice can make a big difference to your broadband connection! smile
See the link in my signature for my router story. The N150 isn't the best in my experience.

You are on a long line with that attenuation so you can't expect a lot more though - see MrSaffron's(TBB) calculator: www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php

You need to read up (lots of info here on TBB!) about how to optimise your line to get the most out of it and to understand how things work...

Help! I'll do my best to make sense of your report, but please remember I'm not a techie! It's hard for me to understand how electricity 'works', let alone broadband....
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:42:53
Print Post

Can you unplug the phone and get the stats again, this time from the test socket?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:43:17
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Nobody's mentioned the 13.4dB noise margin?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:45:46
Print Post

"Absolutely sure! We took them all out. Our only landline connection is the Gigaset and the base is plugged into the master socket."

Do you have a corded phone (not the cordless phones) that you can use for a quiet line test that you can plug directly into the master test socket?

Edited by 4M2 (Thu 13-Sep-12 18:57:12)

(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 17:52:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Can you unplug the phone and get the stats again, this time from the test socket?

Here are the results with modem/router plugged directly into test socket and no phone:

System Up Time 04:00:39
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 2550 2783 0 4419 44258 00:01:06
LAN 10M/100M 137105 113808 0 11626 792 04:00:21
WLAN 54M/65M/150M 3414 1458 0 40 15 04:00:24

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1248 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 61.9 dB 31.5 dB
Noise Margin 13.3 dB 14.0 dB

(By the way, I have to sign off for a while, but I'll check in again later this evening or early tomorrow.)

Edited by MinnieMinno (Thu 13-Sep-12 17:54:14)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Sep-12 18:22:32
Print Post

We were using the test socket until the last BT engineer gave us a new socket with integral filter.
That socket still has a hidden test socket. Get stats after removing that filtered faceplate and plugging router via dangly filter.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to