Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Sep-12 20:34:13
Print Post

Re: Which Modem Router in a Broadband Slowspot?

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Why not the last?
I think he means the "Anyho, I'll stop butting in as much as possible" smile. He doesn't think you should stop.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 13-Sep-12 20:55:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oh i think you're right! My apologies. smile
Standard User MinnieMinno
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-12 07:02:22
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Let me provide some more background information:

Our ISP is Virgin.

In June, we received a direct lightning strike through the phone line. There was no warning (otherwise all equipment would have been disconnected) - just a sudden bang and flash overhead. The phone master socket was burnt out, the modem/router blown apart and blackened inside, two computers and a printer damaged beyond repair. Luckily, our insurance covered replacements.

Netgear N150 Modem Router: we were advised by Maplin and PC World staff that there was no point in buying a more expensive machine because it would make no difference due to the poor quality of our line. However, as others have noted, the wireless function of this machine is very limited - it gives up at any brick wall. It also seems to have a habit of blocking when two computers are using the line, which was not the case with our old, non-wireless Netgear machine (sorry, can’t remember the model number).

Even before the lightning strike, we noticed that our service was deteriorating. In the last couple of months, Open Reach engineers have visited us about six times. They have rewired the black box on the pole outside and—after we applied considerable pressure—replaced two sections of cable in the road where the trees were abrading the cable. This did impove reception slightly. The engineers told us that we can’t really expect a better speed in this remote location.as our phone exchange is in the village approx. 4.5 miles away.

We’ve considered getting a Welsh Assembly grant for a satellite connection but have discounted this option because of the high monthly charges for data.

Mr Saffron writes that we should get the noise margin reset to 6dB. How can we arrange this?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Sep-12 07:32:59
Print Post

[re: MinnieMinno] [link to this post]

It's something the ISP can do.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Sep-12 09:36:03
Print Post

I had a similar problem. 3 Engineers visited, all said the problem was fixed. A fourth engineer noted a fault 300 mtrs from the house and went out to investigate it. When he returned he said that he had found the fault, carried out a temporary repair , showed me on his test equipment that the fault had been fixed. (None of the others had done this!). The speed went up to 1800Mpbs. The speed has started to drop again. No permanent repair has been carried out on the faulty joint but trying to get the Talk Talk Broadband Service to get BT to fix the faulty joint is of no effect. They insist that an engineer needs to check inside my home to sort the problem.
It is also typical that the Online Help keep insisting that I connect to the Master Socket and appear not to understand that I have a seperate ADSL socket fitted.
Good luck with your problem!
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:23:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
...It is also typical that the Online Help keep insisting that I connect to the Master Socket and appear not to understand that I have a seperate ADSL socket fitted...

They probably mean the test socket smile
Standard User MinnieMinno
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:48:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I've spoken to Virgin's Technical Support. They will ask Open Reach to lower the noise margin to 6dB and this will probably happen in about 5 days time. Tech Support warned me that lowering the noise margin might result in an intermittent broadband connection. Do you think this is likely?

When the noise margin is changed, I'll monitor our speed and post the results here.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Sep-12 11:48:53
Print Post

Might be worth a try when you are at home over the w/end, powerdown (switch it off)) the router last thing at night or around 8.00am the following morning and unplug the power brick and leave it off for a few hours. Connect the router directly into the test socket eventually plug the router's power brick back in and power up at around1.00pm to 2.00pm.
Don't plug in/connect the phone, take the router stats ASAP.

This shows you the TEST socket within a BT master socket.

Does the router get very hot to touch when in use?

Harry
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:57:25
Print Post

Yes it's likely. It's probably high for a reason, but monitoring the sync speed and the noise margin may give you some idea of what's causing it.

There is a PC application that can do this for you called Routerstats, but I don't know if it works on Macs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 12:15:12
Print Post

Oops. Nothing to do with Openreach

Virgin will get onto C&W who manage their off net broadband, who will chase BT Wholesale who control the DSLAM (as you appear to be non-LLU too)

Lower margin may result in instability, but if its bad systems should see this and raise the margin again. 5 days - that sounds like bull, unless that is how long the various layers will take to talk to each other. More like someone has quoted you the maximum IP profile change period.

Never take advice from Maplin or PCWorld again, the N150 is not the best for long lines by a long way. Plenty of people swear by Billion devices though.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to