Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Sep-12 23:28:14
Print Post

Re: Which Modem Router in a Broadband Slowspot?

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Mine's very similar too,market 1, it serves a few less folk and now and again the VPs are red according to this but fortunately it gets sorted within a fortnight which isn't bad for such a small exchange which is very rural but not too far off a main road for BT tongue

I don't expect to see the exchange upgraded to 21CN unless King Alex in waiting decides to fund "the roll out" with some extra cash.

As far as a 2Meg connection goes it's about as good as Dial-up was all those years ago, and anyone that suggests it's not that bad must still be on Dial-up tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User MinnieMinno
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 10:14:01
Print Post

[re: MinnieMinno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MinnieMinno:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Might be worth a try when you are at home over the w/end, powerdown (switch it off)) the router last thing at night or around 8.00am the following morning and unplug the power brick and leave it off for a few hours. Connect the router directly into the test socket eventually plug the router's power brick back in and power up at around1.00pm to 2.00pm.
Don't plug in/connect the phone, take the router stats ASAP.

Harry - I followed your suggestion but as you can see, it has made very little difference to the stats. Here are the readings from first thing this morning, router plugged directly into TEST socket, no phone connected:

System Up Time 04:53:29
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 153840 197112 0 773 14634 04:52:45
LAN 10M/100M 196327 153156 0 14700 775 04:53:09
WLAN 54M/65M/150M 5126 3096 0 119 26 04:53:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1216 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 61.6 dB 31.5 dB
Noise Margin 12.5 dB 14.0 dB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 10:21:19
Print Post

You powered it up at 5:15 this morning? I'd only just gone to sleep! tongue

That's a bad time anyway. Well inside daylight hours is best. The stats taken immediately after connection are also far more use than ones taken five hours later.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 11:16:41
Print Post

The high noise margin is depressing the speed, you should get double the downstream at that attenuation. Is it around 12 immediately after connecting ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Sep-12 11:51:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You powered it up at 5:15 this morning? I'd only just gone to sleep! tongue

That's a bad time anyway. Well inside daylight hours is best. The stats taken immediately after connection are also far more use than ones taken five hours later.

OP's router may have an event log which might have recorded sync time SNRM - if not a reboot during daylight and stats taken immediately afterwards would certainly be a good plan smile

Actually I would like to know whether or not a quiet line test indicates any issues?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Sep-12 13:34:32
Print Post

Harry - I followed your suggestion but as you can see, it has made very little difference to the stats. Here are the readings from first thing this morning, router plugged directly into TEST socket, no phone connected

I don't mean to sound rude but the time you did this was too early in the morning and the line stats were nearly five hours old (System Up Time 04:53:29)

It would be very helpful to get the stats as soon as the router is powered up i.e. the system uptime would be less than a minute. If you could try it again but powering up the router around 1.00pm to 2.00pm as suggested it would maybe tell us more smile

As stated already the high downstream signal noise margin is something that needs to be reduced by finding out what is causing it to be set that high in the first place, on most stable connections the signal noise margin is set at 6db by BTW's exchange equipment.

Harry
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 15-Sep-12 14:13:36
Print Post

One of the best modems for very long lines is the 2wire 2700-HGV which is the older BT business hub. They can be found on ebay for £10-£15 for a new one. Do not get a 2701 as there are very few reports on the long line performance.

The 2700 will sync and a fairly stable line at 6dB initially and then move to 3dB. They will also hold sync right down to 0dB SNR and even below.

It will be worth risking buying one to see if you can improve performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Sep-12 14:24:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The move down to a 3dB target is of course only on a BT Wholesale WBC 21CN ADSL2+ based service. Just in case people think that its something the router does itself

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 17:12:13
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:

The high noise margin is depressing the speed, you should get double the downstream at that attenuation. Is it around 12 immediately after connecting ?

Yes, Phil! That's immediately after connecting.
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 17:22:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

... get the stats as soon as the router is powered up i.e. the system uptime would be less than a minute. If you could try it again but powering up the router around 1.00pm to 2.00pm as suggested it would maybe tell us more smile

As stated already the high downstream signal noise margin is something that needs to be reduced by finding out what is causing it to be set that high in the first place, on most stable connections the signal noise margin is set at 6db by BTW's exchange equipment.

Harry

OK, Harry - I'll try again tomorrow at around 1 pm. And let's hope the noise margin is reset in the next few days to 6dB.

Edited by MinnieMinno (Sat 15-Sep-12 17:23:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to