Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Nov-12 22:46:36
Print Post

Re: Technicolour TG582n Router

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

TFTP is a fall back situation that allows you to recover routers even when their firmware is corrupted, i.e. the code for this is running in a ROM so cannot get corrupted

Usually so long as physical hardware is good, you can play with TFTP and versions till your hearts content, at which point you've gone well beyond the cost/benefit game and are into the figures it out for sakes sake

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Nov-12 22:48:37
Print Post

Urm the reason providers in the UK don't use a proper VDSL2/modem/router is that Openreach insists on its modem. Wires only appearing in 2013 will change all that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User superspeed
(member) Thu 29-Nov-12 23:13:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well it is rather silly having to have a separate modem and separate router. Would be better if they supplied a vdsl modem/router in the first place. No arguments then. smile

-----------------------------------------
Welcome to BT-Plusnet. wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Nov-12 23:16:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by superspeed:
Well it is rather silly having to have a separate modem and separate router.
Not really.

On the whole a modem is a modem is a modem, but I'll choose my own router thank you very much.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Nov-12 23:18:04
Print Post

If it was a vertical operation it would, but to meet differing needs of people like Sky, TalkTalk and BT Retail a two box solution has been the way for a while.

When ADSL started it was the same, with some people evening needing three boxes

With openreach providing a modem that has the same interface for routers with both FTTC and FTTP it actually makes things easier overall.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 30-Nov-12 18:03:25
Print Post

The 585 Upgrade wizard finds my Plusnet 582n.

I have a tg582n_r8.4.4.J.bin file which I think is the firmware, and which I have not used.

My Plusnet 582n is running 8.4.4.I

(Letter I for ink not a 1)

Michael Chare
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 02-Dec-12 14:46:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Most of the upgrade wizards should be able to find the TG582n. Plusnet firmware will work fine on a plusnet router.

This is about flashing say, an 02 version of the same router with other firmware, say from plusnet.

Edited by superspeed (Sun 02-Dec-12 15:31:14)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 02-Dec-12 14:51:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
On the whole a modem is a modem is a modem, but I'll choose my own router thank you very much.

Yes you can chose your own router but for a all in one solution, it's better to just have the combined router and modem. Then if you don't like that combined router/modem, you can use your own. smile A bit like how BE used to work.

I note what Mr saffron said as well though.

Edited by superspeed (Sun 02-Dec-12 15:33:42)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 02-Dec-12 15:04:13
Print Post

I opened up the Technicolour TG582n to take a look inside. I could not find a circuit board photo around the web so took my own. See links below.

Main http://s6.postimage.org/nv9xae5q9/72_echnicolor_TG58...
Back http://s6.postimage.org/janqvgm0x/image.png

I was looking round the board to see if I could find where the wireless is transmitted from. Well think I have found them. I have marked them out with arrow and box.

http://s6.postimage.org/bkgyqbjpd/72_echnicolor_TG58...

On other routers them copper points, are what connects to external aerials but this has none. Like here for example http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/reviews/fritzbo...

So if that is where the wireless signal is coming from, no wonder the wireless on this router is so crud. External aerials are much better. smile

Edited by seb (Wed 26-Dec-12 18:10:01)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 02-Dec-12 21:33:51
Print Post

Plusnet supplied my 582n FOC, I would only be liable for the charge if I leave within a year of the date the router was supplied. I was not even asked to pay postage.

It looks like there are two possible versions of the 582n firmware on the Plusnet site.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to