Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Dec-12 18:27:34
Print Post

Re: Disconnects every 30mins

[re: cantoris] [link to this post]

So, margin started at 9 and deteriorated to 3.5 during that day. That often points to a modem/router problem as the margin normally tends to vary by +/- 0.5 dB during the day unless there is an external noise source.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Dec-12 00:02:10
Print Post

Re: Disconnects every 30mins

[re: cantoris] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cantoris:
Started the day with a downstream noise margin of 13 and an upstream one of 6. Had one disconnect late morning and reconnected with a downstream margin of 9. That gradually went down over the day and when it got down to 3.5 just now I sensed an imminent disconnect. My Skype died briefly but no disconnect was seen on the graph.
Your sampling period on RouterStats is too long, if it fails to show a disconnection.

I always used 5 seconds - the minimum. Doesn't cause any problems. I recommend setting it to log to a file as well as graph, as that is quicker to scan visually with that interval. Then you can go to the right graph easily once you have found the time it occurred.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Dec-12 00:03:02)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to