Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-12 14:18:24
Print Post

Re: Connecting a weather camera

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Sorry, forgot to ask - is it going to be outdoors or indoors?
That may be an obvious answer..

Not as obvious as you may think smile. The plan was to go behind a window. Going outdoors involves more money with a purpose made, or making an enclosure with a power supply, stopping condensation, working in possible low temperature etc etc.

Most of the outdoor ones have a lower resolution. The one I had had a 1.3meg CMOS chip which gives a reasonable resolution

Regards

David
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 14:50:07
Print Post

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

Well, there're loads available, I wonder how you choose? Even outdoor cameras appear to be in budget.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexus-543-surveillance-70%C2...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FOSCAM-Silver-FI8904W-Outdoo...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User hawai50
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:08:18
Print Post

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

Hi, sorry I'm a little bit late to all this. I spent ages researching into this. The trouble is it's really difficult to get a decent camera which doubles as a webcam for cheap.

I've opted for what I think is a good compromise, although some could argue the setup is a little over the top. The results however speak for themselves.

I have a similar issue with the webcam needing to be in the window at the opposite end of the house. I looked into numerous solutions - IP cams, even an IP inline server for webcams.

In the end to get the quality of image, I ended up using an old netbook (£40 eBay) connected to a Canon A40 camera (old but great sensor £8 eBay) and using a piece of software called PSremote (needs to be a compatible camera). This software allows full control of my camera and has a timelapse function so I can set intervals that the camera will operate.

The camera provides a better solution than any sub £100 webcam could've (non IP) and the netbook provides the platform to connect to the internet and upload photo's. The only downside is the running costs are around £3-4 a month.

I then have a piece of software called Fling FTP which uploads the images from the destination folder.

If in doubt, take a look for yourselves:

bovicam.com

Some of the other photo's can be found on the twitter feed here: twitter.com/bovicam

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to