Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Mon 11-Feb-13 15:33:50
Print Post

Re: Should I upgrade my ADSL router?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I wouldn't buy a 7800n right now, as 2 replacement 78** series routers are due from Billion (7800DXL and 7800VDOX) in the next 2 weeks. This will inevitably drive down prices of the 7800N and there may be some bargains to be had if you don't want to buy the latest version of the hardware
Standard User peterboulton
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 15:51:56
Print Post

[re: Spudgun] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spudgun:
I wouldn't buy a 7800n right now, as 2 replacement 78** series routers are due from Billion (7800DXL and 7800VDOX) in the next 2 weeks. This will inevitably drive down prices of the 7800N and there may be some bargains to be had if you don't want to buy the latest version of the hardware

Thanks for this! Brilliant info!

All the best,

Pete
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Feb-13 16:38:23
Print Post

[re: peterboulton] [link to this post]

Down 52 down and 28 up, attenuation is close to half so is fine.

The high SNR margin for upstream is normal for a service running with a speed cap of 448 Kbps which is normal for IPStream Max.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 16:54:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Down 52 down and 28 up, attenuation is close to half so is fine.

The high SNR margin for upstream is normal for a service running with a speed cap of 448 Kbps which is normal for IPStream Max.

Great, thanks! I'm still slightly fuzzy on whether the router upgrade is a worthwhile idea though! smile Sorry for being dense. I think the consensus so far is "probably"?

Pete
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Feb-13 17:02:58
Print Post

At the £100 price of the 7800N I would hold back for now.
If down to the £40 to £50 area then its a reasonable spend, and a spare router is useful.

If the connection holds a steady 6dB noise margin, then tweaks could gain you 500Kbps, plus perhaps a little more if the exchange hardware likes the 7800N

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 18:10:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
At the £100 price of the 7800N I would hold back for now.
If down to the £40 to £50 area then its a reasonable spend, and a spare router is useful.

If the connection holds a steady 6dB noise margin, then tweaks could gain you 500Kbps, plus perhaps a little more if the exchange hardware likes the 7800N

Thanks for that Andrew - much appreciated. I guess I will save the money! smile But keep a lookout for a decent price reduction on the 7800N.

Cheers,

Pete
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 11-Feb-13 19:23:57
Print Post

They are a little "old" but if you are willing to chance a few pounds, try to get an unused 2wire2700. They tend to hold sync on long lines and give excellent performance even when noise pushes the SNR down.

Ebay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-13 09:18:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
They are a little "old" but if you are willing to chance a few pounds, try to get an unused 2wire2700. They tend to hold sync on long lines and give excellent performance even when noise pushes the SNR down.

Ebay

Thanks! However I'm thinking that to replace my working Linksys WAG354G I would need to get wireless n. My Google Nexus 7 supports it and wireless g has limited coverage in my house (given the unavoidable location of the router). The startpoint of this thread was tying wireless n into possible benefits of a 'faster' router.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Feb-13 09:32:57
Print Post

No problem.

I am one who does not like the "one box solution". In a couple of places I have installed a 2700 to hold the line and get the best performance, then connected a second router with wireless N and Gigabit Ethernet for the local network.

The day someone produces a "one box solution" that has excellent long line and low SNR performance, Wireless N with good omni-directional coverage, operating in both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, Gigabit Ethernet and internal switching that does not compromise performance, content screening, usage measurement &c; then I might change my mind!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Feb-13 09:47:48
Print Post

N wireless does not increase power, the use of multiple antenna can give better signal reception.

Generally while I find N faster at the fringes of reception it usually fails at around the same point as old fashioned G networks in real house scenarios.

Thus the only way to get real wireless coverage is wireless from main router, and then a secondary access point located elsewhere.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to