Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 20:31:28
Print Post

Re: New router/modem advice

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ok, thanks BatBoy and thank you RobertoS and jchamier for the help. I have just ordered the ASUS RT-N56U smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jun-13 22:03:06
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

As you are connecting a router, not a pure WAP (which in fact is what I suggested), you will need to make sure its subnet is set to the same as the Netgear, with a fixed IP address outside the range the Netgear is set to allocate, and disable DHCP on it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 13-Jun-13 22:15:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe its wizard will recognise this on connection and set itself up appropriately?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jun-13 22:17:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Is it that sophisticated?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(regular) Fri 14-Jun-13 07:21:08
Print Post

We will find out on saturday. I assumed (never a good idea!) that a WAP was the same as a router. Anyway, as long as it will work I don't mind changing some settings. If not then I will have to get a separate modem as I want to use this router.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-13 07:57:29
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
We will find out on saturday. I assumed (never a good idea!) that a WAP was the same as a router. Anyway, as long as it will work I don't mind changing some settings. If not then I will have to get a separate modem as I want to use this router.

You can set the ASUS in Access Point mode, which turns off its routing features and makes it a WAP only:
http://support.asus.com/FAQ/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en...

If you don't, you will have double NAT which can stop some internet applications working properly. Don't forget to turn off wireless on the Netgear.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(regular) Fri 14-Jun-13 09:30:11
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks. I will try that method first. Looking forward to setting up this piece of kit smile streaming media from my PC to PS3 is so hit or miss at the moment.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Jun-13 18:57:59
Print Post

Surely there's nothing wrong with having wireless on both for wider coverage? It's done quite often when linking two routers, as I explained earlier to the OP.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-13 19:49:31
Print Post

One G and one three-stream N is likely to confuse, at 2.4 GHz given the lack of free spectrum already in most built up areas. For internet access, yes, I'd agree (but G only manages 20megabit on the best kit, I've seen a lot of G kit that can only do 10megabit speeds - such as the old BE Technicolor routers).

The ASUS can achieve a lot more, especially for LAN streaming, and its power output and (due to N and 3 antennas) resilience is much greater than the ancient Netgear DG834 and similar derivatives.

Personally I'd put a Netgear box that old into some sort of bridge mode, or even enable DMZ and put the ASUS into it at worst case. The technical differences between those routers are dramatic - unsurprising when you look at the age smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(regular) Fri 14-Jun-13 20:27:24
Print Post

Would it work if I disable NAT on the Netgear and use the Asus as a router? or would there likely still be issues?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to