Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Jun-13 20:30:04
Print Post

Re: New router/modem advice

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ah! Right smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jun-13 22:02:00
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
Would it work if I disable NAT on the Netgear and use the Asus as a router? or would there likely still be issues?

If you can change the netgear into a modem (bridge mode) that would be great, you then only have one router to configure for any gaming or any other requirements you might have.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User astateoftrance
(regular) Sat 15-Jun-13 12:22:33
Print Post

So I have the router up and running, I have set the Asus to WAP mode and have disabled wireless access to the Netgear. I am now connected to the internet via the Asus and it seems to be running fine, however I now cannot access the Asus router settings either via wireless or wired connection. It's meant to be 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't work now, the Netgear opens on 192.168.0.1 . I have tried turning the Netgear off but still can't access the Asus frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Sat 15-Jun-13 12:40:15
Print Post

Update - just found the Asus IP has been set as 192.168.0.3 . found it under connected devices in the Netgear settings smile
(regular) Sat 15-Jun-13 18:07:38
Print Post

I have found out there is a hidden menu on the Netgear router which lets you switch it to bridge/modem mode. I did this and have the Asus set as a router. However I then have no internet connection, I get this error - You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N56U. I tried the same thing with another router I have, a Netgear DGN1000 and the same thing happened so I had to do a factory reset on it.

So I am guessing it is not automatically setting the IP's correctly? I really have no idea what I should set them as. The Asus router was showing the Netgear one as being just 0 0 0 0 or something like that.
(regular) Mon 17-Jun-13 09:33:43
Print Post

At the moment I have both the Netgear and Asus running as routers without any known issues. The LAN IP of the Netgear is 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The LAN IP of the Asus is 192.168.1.3 and subnet mask also 255.255.255.0.

So if I want to have the Netgear in modem mode and the Asus as the router what should I change beforehand? I did not turn DHCP off but wouldn't that be disabled when the Netgear is in modem mode?

It seems strange that they work together ok when both working as routers but as soon as I change the Netgear to modem only mode it all goes wrong and the annoying thing is I cannot then access the Netgear settings.
(regular) Thu 04-Jul-13 13:43:33
Print Post

I am still running both the Netgear and Asus in router mode and have not noticed any issues so I will probably just leave it as it is. No issues at all streaming media locally now and its useful having my printer connected to it. Really nice router smile
Standard User MUD_Wizard
(newbie) Sun 07-Jul-13 02:36:04
Print Post

So if I want to have the Netgear in modem mode and the Asus as the router what should I change beforehand? I did not turn DHCP off but wouldn't that be disabled when the Netgear is in modem mode?

It seems strange that they work together ok when both working as routers but as soon as I change the Netgear to modem only mode it all goes wrong and the annoying thing is I cannot then access the Netgear settings.

Did you setup the PPPoE login details on the Asus when the Netgear is in modem/bridged mode?

You usually need to leave the 'service name' blank on the Asus when the modem is in bridged mode (PPPoE to PPPoA).

When you use both as routers, then I'm assuming the Netgear is handling the login. Probably via PPPoA depending on your modem settings.

Naturally, the router and its settings get turned off when you set it to modem mode. That's what modem mode does. Turns it into a modem only.

Virgin Media 120/12 126mb/s down 11.5mb/s up.
Wired speed test, Wireless speed test, BQM

Edited by MUD_Wizard (Sun 07-Jul-13 02:42:11)

(regular) Wed 10-Jul-13 19:08:24
Print Post

[re: MUD_Wizard] [link to this post]

No I did not set up any login details on the Asus router, I thought that would still be handled by the Netgear when in modem/bridge mode. If it doesn't then that would explain why I lose the internet connection but would it also cause the IP problems I had?
Standard User MUD_Wizard
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 20:03:48
Print Post

No I did not set up any login details on the Asus router, I thought that would still be handled by the Netgear when in modem/bridge mode. If it doesn't then that would explain why I lose the internet connection but would it also cause the IP problems I had?

You may be getting a temporary IP given because it didn't connect.

You really need to look at your modem settings and then all will become clear. Guessing won't help.

Take a step-by-step approach:

If when you plug a computer directly into your modem you don't need to setup a PPPoE connection on the computer with the login details for your ISP then your modem is still set to login.

If your computer uses the PPPoE login and that works then you should be able to do the same from the router settings.

However be aware not to put the service name in on the router, just the username and password.

Virgin Media 120/12 126mb/s down 11.5mb/s up.
Wired speed test, Wireless speed test, BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to