Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:48:34
Print Post

Re: Just got an Asus RT-N66U

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can you change the internal card to a 450Mbps one? You need to check if the bios has a whitelist, this is usually just HP laptops but some other manufacturers sometimes have a whitelist too on certain machines.

If it's not HP chances are you can just take the old card out and pop a new one in for around £30. If it's HP you can only put in cards in their 'whitelist' and HP almost always chooses poor WiFi cards so chances are anything in that whitelist will be pretty poor. Worth checking though what cards are supported by the device if whitelisted as there may be a 5Ghz one... Also if it's a whitelisted laptop you need to get the specific manufactures part number not some bog standard card.

EDIT: Looking at the card you linked too it's only 300Mbps, you really want one that does 450Mbps on 5Ghz to take full advantage of the router. There's likely to be very little on 5Ghz and the fact that 5Ghz has a lot mroe channels means you don't need to worry too much about what's there right now.

Further edit your laptop may only have 2 wifi cables internally so that would limit you to 300Mbps cards (quite likely) if you only get 150Mbps now with channel bonding.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 23-Nov-13 16:52:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Nov-13 17:18:01
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

+1 vote on the naming 5GHz differently.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 17:26:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm just playing really. As I said, even as things were with the 582n the iPad is like lightning. I don't do huge streaming, catchup type TV is all.

I do object to not getting full throughput of my FTTC on the laptop, that's all, due to a combination of cheap router and wifi card.

I reckon I'm going to get an ASUS USB-N53 dual band adapter. Then I'll be able to see what's around at 5GHz as well, through InSSIDer.

If your laptop has a mini-PCIexpress wifi module, then one of these for example could be better. Do you know what chipset your existing laptop Wifi uses?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Centrino-Ultimate-N-...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:14:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not opening up a 5-month old laptop smile. Anyway, I haven't even got the tiny tools to do so, and have a few times searched on the web for them for HP and Sony laptops. (And USB drives). As every manufacturer seems to use different screw-heads I can't be fussed.

It's a dongle I linked to, not a card. The card in the Laptop is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Hey - wow! Just discovered the laptop's Ethernet port is 1Gb! Not that that is particularly relevant to me either.

Edit - there again, this machine does seem to have ten standard but small Philips screws.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 23-Nov-13 18:19:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:20:28
Print Post

Not opening up a 5-month old laptop smile. Anyway, I haven't even got the tiny tools to do so, and have a few times searched on the web for them for HP and Sony laptops. (And USB drives). As every manufacturer seems to use different screw-heads I can't be fussed.

Okay! smile

It's a dongle I linked to, not a card. The card in the Laptop is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Single stream N, so likely only 1 antenna in the lid. Unlike the router which has 3 antennas (three stream). Each stream is capable of 150megabit/sec theoretical throughput.

My work laptop and my home laptop (Mac Air) are both 2 stream devices. The iPhone (all models) is single stream. The iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina display *could* be 2 stream as Apple has added a second antenna for "MIMO".

Hey - wow! Just discovered the laptop's Ethernet port is 1Gb! Not that that is particularly relevant to me either.

If you had a NAS device on the network you would be very happy the ethernet port is gigabit capable. Its quite unusual these days to find ethernet ports that aren't gigabit capable. The chip is something like $1 or less, and the functionality is usually incorporated into a multi-io chip.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:35:31
Print Post

I'm surprised there isn't an App to see what's happening in the iPad. Presumably there are some, just not available in (banned from) the Apple App Store or iTunes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:44:22
Print Post

Ordered the dongle. I bet it won't be seen by InSSIDer though!

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 23-Nov-13 18:45:12)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 20:07:02
Print Post

I'm surprised there isn't an App to see what's happening in the iPad. Presumably there are some, just not available in (banned from) the Apple App Store or iTunes.

Correct - sadly no useful WiFi diagnostic apps for legit iOS devices - unless you jail break. (which I gather is quite hard now on iOS 7 with iPhone 5 and later)

Its something I would like on iOS - especially on the phone, a mobile version of inSSIDer (or better, the free mac app WiFi Explorer). I keep submitting feedback to apple on their website every 6 months asking for apple to write a WiFi scanner.

I suspect inSSIDer will support your USB dongle, as long as you're on Win7 or 8.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Nov-13 22:34:46
Print Post

What's the purpose/advantage of Merlin firmware please?

Where do I start? More frequent fixes/releases than Asus, more fixes than Asus, more features than Asus and Merlin is VERY active here http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f... Try getting support from Asus.

IMHO, one would be barking mad wink to use the stock firmware. This is one of the few projects to which I have donated - usually that is the kiss of death but I thought I would take a chance with it.

One does not really have to tilt the antennas unless needed (Google "radiation pattern vertical antenna").

Regards

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Nov-13 22:54:04
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Where do I start? More frequent fixes/releases than Asus, more fixes than Asus, more features than Asus and Merlin is VERY active here http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f... Try getting support from Asus.

Also Merlin has reported bugs to Asus, that have then been fixed in the official firmware. They are responsive, but nowhere near as responsive as Merlin himself is. (Oh and if you use twitter, he tweets each release).

IMHO, one would be barking mad wink to use the stock firmware. This is one of the few projects to which I have donated - usually that is the kiss of death but I thought I would take a chance with it.

I had some odd problem with DDNS (before realising I could use Asus own) and Merlin's firmware fixed it. I'm on an older release now but it works well for me at 5GHz.

One does not really have to tilt the antennas unless needed (Google "radiation pattern vertical antenna").

Some really cool pictures and interesting info thanks. My rationale is that I often use my phone in bed, and thought a sideways receiving antenna would be helped by a sideways on transmitting one. Maybe not!

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to