Well a few hours ago, after some annoying messing around, I got the USB-N53 working. To be honest, I'm not too impressed so far, but the jury is still out. I have a few things to look out for in terms of improvement, and was initially a little jaundiced by the problems getting going.
First, the Quick start
instructions assume you have a CD drive. Wrong!
Second, they show you inserting the disc, then clicking Next
on the first screen, followed by plugging the dongle into a USB port. Wrong! (Even if you had a drive).
To solve the first problem, I went to their website, and after a bit of messing about involving having to specify something more than once, arrived at a download page for the Utilities disc; the manual; and something else I haven't yet established what it is but it looks important. Maybe called by the setup routine, but shouldn't be a separate download if that's the case. Starts with Dr, so may be a "Doctor".
I find a setup.exe
in a likely place in the utilities download.
As I want to get up and running, I click that. I then have to choose Driver only
or Client Utilities and Driver
. Looks like it was the right link to follow, so I go for CU & D.
Job runs and finishes. Odd - thinks I. It didn't tell me to plug the dongle (card) in. So I plug it in. It's blue light starts flashing, but it fails to appear in the available connections in Win 8.1.
Messed around a bit, then read the manual.
2. Installing the USB-N53 driver and utilities.
IMPORTANT: Install the ASUS USB-N53 WLAN card into your computer before installing the driver and utilities from the Support CD.
There is a WLAN uninstall in the setup.exe folder. That does uninstall it so far as I can tell - I tried looking for left-over files but didn't find any.
Plug it in, run setup, bingo!
Performance dreadful, even though it shows a 144Mbps connection. Solved by a reboot of the laptop, which seems to have become rather confused by the above.
Speed tests seem to be 2Mbps down and several hundred kbps up higher than the 72.2Mbps of the inbuilt Atheros.
I'm not sure for normal use it's worth having a fragile dongle sticking out of the side of the laptop, and as I'm no longer a more than once a day man [cough], (not even once a day
), I rarely run speed tests. Only when there is something odd.
As advised by a few of you earlier, I have a (slightly) different SSID now for the 5GHz. Just a "5" at the end of the 2.4GHz one. Passwords are identical.
Interestingly, my Galaxy SIII detected the 5GHz but I had to give it the password. The iPad Air i found was using 5GHz anyway, but I've no idea when or how that happened. Maybe it was told by me at some time.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
| Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost
Connection - Plusnet
UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM
"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant."
- Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.