Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Brammers
(member) Wed 11-Dec-13 21:15:06
Print Post

Re: Just got an Asus RT-N66U

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Another happy (so far) user of the Merlin firmware here.

The changelog's look much better than the Asus ones. Firmware looks the same but with all the goodies included.

It's a keeper.

J

Powered by Clara.net SOHO Unlimited FTTC 40/10 @ 40/10.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:36:50
Print Post

[re: Brammers] [link to this post]

I'd forgotten all about the Merlin upgrade frown. Too much else on my mind. I'll stick as I am for now smile. At least it seems to have cured my loss of contact with the router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Xar
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 13:53:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi all. New owner of the asus router and have managed to get it working ok, but haven't really got a clue what I am doing and have a few issues, so any help much appreciated. Hardware as follows:

iMac with mavericks
Various iPhones and iPad
PS3
Smart TV
Various Powerline adapters
Devolo 500 Wifi powerline adapter
PlusNet unlimited fibre (just installed)

The engineer connected the plusnet fibre router to the asus router, and I can get wifi on all my devices I setup the 2.4 and 5Ghz with desperate SSIDs with no issue, but can also 'see' the wifi signal from the plusnet router (which I am ignoring).

The 2 key issues I have are:

1. All the powerline adapters stopped working when connected to the asus router, but I can get wifi working and this is how all hardware connects currently - I removed the powerline connection from the asus and put it into the plusnet router, which allows me 'see' the connection but not access the internet. I am keen to get the powerline adapters working so any advice appreciated
2. The devolo adapter is in the garage and I can access the wifi point it generates (which is different to the asus 2.4/5 SSIDs) - iPhone / iPad can access the web via this point, but blu ray player can only see the wifi signal and connect to the 'internal network' but cannot access the gateway to get to the internet

I have a basic understanding of routers etc, but my previous setup worked without issues. Ie plusnet router gave wifi, powerline gave me hard connection. The asus works fine for wifi, but goosed for anything on the powerline adapter. I was using a VPN on the iMac bwhicj may have caused issues, but am no longer...

Any ideas appreciated!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 15:56:58
Print Post

[re: Xar] [link to this post]

Assuming that you have the Open reach modem, the PlusNet router and the ASUS router, put the PlusNet router aside, connect the ASUS router directly to the Open reach modem and work from there.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:05:27
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

It's also possible no-one disabled the ASUS DHCP, so messing things up. If they did though, it would need re-enabling if he does as you suggest. (I agree with you).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:13:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by brightd:
Assuming that you have the Open reach modem, the PlusNet router and the ASUS router, put the PlusNet router aside, connect the ASUS router directly to the Open reach modem and work from there.

Agreed

N66U could be set as Wireless AP

AsusWRT below

Upgrade to latest firmware

http://www.asus.com/uk/support/Knowledge-Detail/11/2...

Edited by flippery (Mon 06-Jan-14 16:18:01)

Standard User Xar
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:17:17
Print Post

Thanks mate. Will give that a try tonight.
Standard User Xar
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:20:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I take it I can disable DCHP from the asus UI easy enough? Just a tick box and see if that works?
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:28:18
Print Post

[re: Xar] [link to this post]

I do not have the Asus but I suspect so, bit why would you ant the PlusNet rougher between the modem and the Asus? It jut adds complication and failure points for no benefit that I can think of.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User Xar
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:32:11
Print Post

Thanks. Will take a look. The BT engineer did it as he couldn't get the direct connection to work.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to