Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:38:10
Print Post

Re: Just got an Asus RT-N66U

[re: Xar] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Xar:
I take it I can disable DCHP from the asus UI easy enough? Just a tick box and see if that works?
You need DHCP enabled on the first router after the modem, and disabled on any second router.

If both are enabled at the moment that could cause the problems, but the best solution could be to remove the PlusNet 582n as we have said. Note that it can take 15 minutes from the Internet light coming on before the PPP session actually gets established, but if it doesn't after that just power cycle the ASUS and it should work straight away.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Xar
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:43:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Awesome. Thanks guys. Will try that when I get home tonight and update after. Nice friendly forum you have here smile
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jan-14 18:28:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xar:
Awesome. Thanks guys. Will try that when I get home tonight and update after. Nice friendly forum you have here smile

You're welcome. I'm using a RT-N66U with my Openreach modem but I'm on BT Infinity.

You will probably need your Plusnet login name and password, and you tell the ASUS these, then you can completely unplug the plusnet router and keep it safe in case the asus ever was to fail.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xar
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 20:04:47
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Evening all!

So, after a few mis-steps (namely plus.net adding 'dsl' to the user name I have had for the last 8 years without telling me....! Lol) I have the plus net router removed an the Dark Knight worked great, on wireless at least! Thanks one and all.

Interestingly, all of my powerline connectors look like they are working, but:

- my Samsung TV, which previously failed to show any wired connection is now giving the full thumbs up on the network setup screen, but won;t actually connect to anything giving an error message - wireless works fine
- my iMac shows an ethernet connection of 'connected' but with the message 'Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet'

Any thoughts? Anything I can change on the ASUS UI somewhere to help this?
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 21:43:32
Print Post

It sounds as if the iMac may have a manually set IP address. Open System Preferences / Network, select Ethernet and the check that the Configure IPv4 is set to Using DHCP. That should solve that problem.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to