Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 00:48:21
Print Post

Just got an Asus RT-N66U

[link to this post]

Looks good so far. 150Mbs Wifi compared to PlusNet's 582 65Mbps.

Actual Wifi varying a lot right now - speed tests between same as wired and quite poor. Next step might be a 5GHz dongle.

Impressive GUI.

Latency on BQM appears to have dropped by 3-4ms ??? I didn't touch the modem. I wonder if for that I just needed a new PPP session, as a few weeks ago it reverted to Fast Path in the middle of the night, with a big latency drop of course, so I did a reboot of the modem during the day giving a bit better speed but adding 3-4ms latency frown.

PING bbc.co.uk (212.58.251.195): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=0 ttl=120 time=12.639 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=1 ttl=120 time=12.474 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=2 ttl=120 time=12.717 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=3 ttl=120 time=12.452 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=4 ttl=120 time=12.472 ms

--- bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 12.452/12.550/12.717 ms

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 09:29:14
Print Post

Re: Just got an Asus RT-N66U

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Looks good so far. 150Mbs Wifi compared to PlusNet's 582 65Mbps.

Actual Wifi varying a lot right now - speed tests between same as wired and quite poor. Next step might be a 5GHz dongle.

Make sure the antennas on the Asus are as in the picture on the box, middle one straight up, side two slightly leaning around 45degrees. That helped here, although mine is in the centre of the room.

Using inSSIDer you can determine if you are using 20mhz or 40mhz mode at 2.4GHz - its friendlier to use 20mhz mode as it only uses one channel. At 5GHz there is no problem using 40mhz dual channel mode, its expected. Apple devices (including their laptops, desktops, phones and tablets) will only use 20mhz at 2.4GHz, they refuse to use 40mhz as its so unfriendly to other people.

You should try the iPad as its 5GHz capable (all iPads are including iPad 1, but only the iPhone 5 and later are). I deliberately created different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz transmissions so I can tell which one I'm connected to.

Latency on BQM appears to have dropped by 3-4ms ??? I didn't touch the modem. I wonder if for that I just needed a new PPP session, as a few weeks ago it reverted to Fast Path in the middle of the night, with a big latency drop of course, so I did a reboot of the modem during the day giving a bit better speed but adding 3-4ms latency frown.

Dropped is good no? The Asus could be replying faster to the BQM pings - the modem doesn't see them as they're inside the PPP packets.

PING bbc.co.uk (212.58.251.195): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=0 ttl=120 time=12.639 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=1 ttl=120 time=12.474 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=2 ttl=120 time=12.717 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=3 ttl=120 time=12.452 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.251.195: seq=4 ttl=120 time=12.472 ms

round-trip min/avg/max = 12.452/12.550/12.717 ms

Here's my ping from my ASUS:
PING bbc.co.uk (212.58.253.67): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.58.253.67: seq=0 ttl=115 time=18.516 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.253.67: seq=1 ttl=115 time=19.351 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.253.67: seq=2 ttl=115 time=19.223 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.253.67: seq=3 ttl=115 time=18.820 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.253.67: seq=4 ttl=115 time=18.829 ms

round-trip min/avg/max = 18.516/18.947/19.351 ms

I also installed Merlin's firmware.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Sat 23-Nov-13 09:32:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 13:32:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

smile
I've got the antennae angled, but the router is in the corner of an upstairs room in a steel-framed house, with me downstairs. Early days yet, and the first test may have been anomalous for some reason.

I probably won't continue with the 40MHz setting - I just wanted to see if it would bring this laptop back to its max of 150Mbps like my old Buffalo could. Thanks for the bit about iPad and no 40MHz.

Other than by SSID, is there any way on my iPad (Air) to know which frequency it is using? Currently I have SSID/password identical, but easy enough to change. Already done it once. On 2.4GHz it is almost instant loading web pages - far faster than this i3 laptop on Win 8 was after a few months. (Upgraded to 8.1 2-3 days ago and running a bit faster). Getting any useful technical info out of the iPad seems impossible - presumably intentional.

I've been using InSSIDer 3 from the minute I turned it on smile.

Re the latency, unfortunately I didn't record the detailed HG612 stats and forget anyway which is the "delay" line. The D: line is 1/1, showing Fast Path.

What's the 450Mbps all about, as per the box/manual and InSSIDer? Is it like other manufacturers - some proprietary compression method if it has ASUS kit at the other end? Or is it meaning 3 x 150 networks are possible on each frequency.

What's the purpose/advantage of Merlin firmware please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 13:44:18
Print Post

Wireless speed tests sorted!

I'd forgotten - InSSIDer screws them up. Presumably everything else as well.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 13:49:46
Print Post

Interesting effect on my BQM, if you get a chance to look today. The regular spikes I and others have seen in the past are there, but never wee with the 582n.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 23-Nov-13 14:55:29
Print Post

I get those with mine too (same router), see links in sig.

They're more pronounced with the wireless set to 40MHz iirc.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 15:09:34
Print Post

The spikes are nothing to worry about, the router will put the BQM responses at the bottom of its priority list. It will focus more on other things so if you put it under heavy load the BQM can start to look significantly worse (I have found anyway).
450Mbps basically bonds the channels yep, so 3x150 on each channel and can give speeds above 100Mbps ethernet. You need a very strong signal to see these speeds though. On 5Ghz this is fine however on 2.4Ghz it will need to use 1, 6 and 11 simultaneously for these speeds so it will use the entire 2.4Ghz frequency. Presumably auto channel selection is the best for this type of setup and I reckon it will back off on 2.4Ghz quite a lot due to interference.

I often find channel bonding makes the range worse and throughput worse further away, closer up it makes throughput substantially better.

I wasn't wowed by the ASUS RT WiFi range, how do you find it? I tried it out as a tenant left it behind (can you believe it!!) It seemed around the same as every other router I tried.
For me the best solution has been to setup multiple APs around the house, so that everywhere has a decent signal. I now see around 140Mbps on WiFi 5Ghz via home transfers and a slowish 50Mbps on 2.4Ghz.

I would personally have 450Mbps on 5Ghz and just use 1 channel on 2.4 Ghz to avoid interference and maximise 2.4 Ghz range

EDIT: iPad air, there is no way to see which frequency it is using and I would personally set them up as separate SSIDs. Otherwise in 90% of the home the 2.4Ghz will be stronger than the 5Ghz signal, so everything will just use that even if it offers lower throughput. In large deployments they get around this by setting 5Ghz output power far higher than 2.4Ghz so that the signals are generally quite equal with 5Ghz often just having a slight edge. So that works quite well in businesses and they can have just one SSID. For home this isn't ideal as you want the range without lots of APs dotted about.

Throughput is really good on this router closeup. You need 5Ghz to largely feel the benefits though.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 23-Nov-13 15:14:23)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 15:25:06
Print Post

What's the 450Mbps all about, as per the box/manual and InSSIDer? Is it like other manufacturers - some proprietary compression method if it has ASUS kit at the other end? Or is it meaning 3 x 150 networks are possible on each frequency.
It sounds as if the router is capable of 3 MIMO streams. Most mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, are only equipped to operate on one stream due to lack of space for multiple antennas and power budget concerns.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:03:15
Print Post

I think the iPad air can support 2 partial streams so 300Mbps which is quite good but not the full 450. Mainly battery limits things.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:20:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm just playing really. As I said, even as things were with the 582n the iPad is like lightning. I don't do huge streaming, catchup type TV is all.

I do object to not getting full throughput of my FTTC on the laptop, that's all, due to a combination of cheap router and wifi card.

I reckon I'm going to get an ASUS USB-N53 dual band adapter. Then I'll be able to see what's around at 5GHz as well, through InSSIDer.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Nov-13 16:48:34
Print Post

Can you change the internal card to a 450Mbps one? You need to check if the bios has a whitelist, this is usually just HP laptops but some other manufacturers sometimes have a whitelist too on certain machines.

If it's not HP chances are you can just take the old card out and pop a new one in for around £30. If it's HP you can only put in cards in their 'whitelist' and HP almost always chooses poor WiFi cards so chances are anything in that whitelist will be pretty poor. Worth checking though what cards are supported by the device if whitelisted as there may be a 5Ghz one... Also if it's a whitelisted laptop you need to get the specific manufactures part number not some bog standard card.

EDIT: Looking at the card you linked too it's only 300Mbps, you really want one that does 450Mbps on 5Ghz to take full advantage of the router. There's likely to be very little on 5Ghz and the fact that 5Ghz has a lot mroe channels means you don't need to worry too much about what's there right now.

Further edit your laptop may only have 2 wifi cables internally so that would limit you to 300Mbps cards (quite likely) if you only get 150Mbps now with channel bonding.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 23-Nov-13 16:52:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Nov-13 17:18:01
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

+1 vote on the naming 5GHz differently.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 17:26:35
Print Post

I'm just playing really. As I said, even as things were with the 582n the iPad is like lightning. I don't do huge streaming, catchup type TV is all.

I do object to not getting full throughput of my FTTC on the laptop, that's all, due to a combination of cheap router and wifi card.

I reckon I'm going to get an ASUS USB-N53 dual band adapter. Then I'll be able to see what's around at 5GHz as well, through InSSIDer.

If your laptop has a mini-PCIexpress wifi module, then one of these for example could be better. Do you know what chipset your existing laptop Wifi uses?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Centrino-Ultimate-N-...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:14:27
Print Post

Not opening up a 5-month old laptop smile. Anyway, I haven't even got the tiny tools to do so, and have a few times searched on the web for them for HP and Sony laptops. (And USB drives). As every manufacturer seems to use different screw-heads I can't be fussed.

It's a dongle I linked to, not a card. The card in the Laptop is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Hey - wow! Just discovered the laptop's Ethernet port is 1Gb! Not that that is particularly relevant to me either.

Edit - there again, this machine does seem to have ten standard but small Philips screws.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 23-Nov-13 18:19:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:20:28
Print Post

Not opening up a 5-month old laptop smile. Anyway, I haven't even got the tiny tools to do so, and have a few times searched on the web for them for HP and Sony laptops. (And USB drives). As every manufacturer seems to use different screw-heads I can't be fussed.

Okay! smile

It's a dongle I linked to, not a card. The card in the Laptop is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Single stream N, so likely only 1 antenna in the lid. Unlike the router which has 3 antennas (three stream). Each stream is capable of 150megabit/sec theoretical throughput.

My work laptop and my home laptop (Mac Air) are both 2 stream devices. The iPhone (all models) is single stream. The iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina display *could* be 2 stream as Apple has added a second antenna for "MIMO".

Hey - wow! Just discovered the laptop's Ethernet port is 1Gb! Not that that is particularly relevant to me either.

If you had a NAS device on the network you would be very happy the ethernet port is gigabit capable. Its quite unusual these days to find ethernet ports that aren't gigabit capable. The chip is something like $1 or less, and the functionality is usually incorporated into a multi-io chip.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:35:31
Print Post

I'm surprised there isn't an App to see what's happening in the iPad. Presumably there are some, just not available in (banned from) the Apple App Store or iTunes.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Nov-13 18:44:22
Print Post

Ordered the dongle. I bet it won't be seen by InSSIDer though!

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 23-Nov-13 18:45:12)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-13 20:07:02
Print Post

I'm surprised there isn't an App to see what's happening in the iPad. Presumably there are some, just not available in (banned from) the Apple App Store or iTunes.

Correct - sadly no useful WiFi diagnostic apps for legit iOS devices - unless you jail break. (which I gather is quite hard now on iOS 7 with iPhone 5 and later)

Its something I would like on iOS - especially on the phone, a mobile version of inSSIDer (or better, the free mac app WiFi Explorer). I keep submitting feedback to apple on their website every 6 months asking for apple to write a WiFi scanner.

I suspect inSSIDer will support your USB dongle, as long as you're on Win7 or 8.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Nov-13 22:34:46
Print Post

What's the purpose/advantage of Merlin firmware please?

Where do I start? More frequent fixes/releases than Asus, more fixes than Asus, more features than Asus and Merlin is VERY active here http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f... Try getting support from Asus.

IMHO, one would be barking mad wink to use the stock firmware. This is one of the few projects to which I have donated - usually that is the kiss of death but I thought I would take a chance with it.

One does not really have to tilt the antennas unless needed (Google "radiation pattern vertical antenna").

Regards

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Nov-13 22:54:04
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Where do I start? More frequent fixes/releases than Asus, more fixes than Asus, more features than Asus and Merlin is VERY active here http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f... Try getting support from Asus.

Also Merlin has reported bugs to Asus, that have then been fixed in the official firmware. They are responsive, but nowhere near as responsive as Merlin himself is. (Oh and if you use twitter, he tweets each release).

IMHO, one would be barking mad wink to use the stock firmware. This is one of the few projects to which I have donated - usually that is the kiss of death but I thought I would take a chance with it.

I had some odd problem with DDNS (before realising I could use Asus own) and Merlin's firmware fixed it. I'm on an older release now but it works well for me at 5GHz.

One does not really have to tilt the antennas unless needed (Google "radiation pattern vertical antenna").

Some really cool pictures and interesting info thanks. My rationale is that I often use my phone in bed, and thought a sideways receiving antenna would be helped by a sideways on transmitting one. Maybe not!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 26-Nov-13 23:50:59
Print Post

You could talk people into a dentist's chair with patter like that smile.

I'll look into it more deeply when my brain is fresher.

Standard User Kozmyk
(newbie) Wed 27-Nov-13 04:38:10
Print Post

Happy new Rt-N66U

I had to get something better than the Virgin "Superhub" trash router.
The Black Knight works great for me; better since I updated the firmware - Firmware:3.0.0.4.372.30 (Merlin build)

I use an Asus USB-N53 - 300Mbps Dual Band Dongle for my main PC.
It's angled for max signal and the 5GHz comes in at 6dB to 8dB lower than the 2.4GHz.
The separation is about 9 feet through the floor, wood and plaster.
The 5GHZ strength tails off rapidly at longer distances.
Put a couple of stone walls in the way and 5GHz drops dramatically.
I also find that 5GHz is more vulnerable to outside interference, such that I rely on 2.4GHz mainly.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Nov-13 22:16:07
Print Post

[re: Kozmyk] [link to this post]

Well a few hours ago, after some annoying messing around, I got the USB-N53 working. To be honest, I'm not too impressed so far, but the jury is still out. I have a few things to look out for in terms of improvement, and was initially a little jaundiced by the problems getting going.

First, the Quick start instructions assume you have a CD drive. Wrong!

Second, they show you inserting the disc, then clicking Next on the first screen, followed by plugging the dongle into a USB port. Wrong! (Even if you had a drive).

To solve the first problem, I went to their website, and after a bit of messing about involving having to specify something more than once, arrived at a download page for the Utilities disc; the manual; and something else I haven't yet established what it is but it looks important. Maybe called by the setup routine, but shouldn't be a separate download if that's the case. Starts with Dr, so may be a "Doctor".

I find a setup.exe in a likely place in the utilities download.

As I want to get up and running, I click that. I then have to choose Driver only or Client Utilities and Driver. Looks like it was the right link to follow, so I go for CU & D.

Job runs and finishes. Odd - thinks I. It didn't tell me to plug the dongle (card) in. So I plug it in. It's blue light starts flashing, but it fails to appear in the available connections in Win 8.1.

Messed around a bit, then read the manual.
2. Installing the USB-N53 driver and utilities.

IMPORTANT: Install the ASUS USB-N53 WLAN card into your computer before installing the driver and utilities from the Support CD.
Grrrrreat!

There is a WLAN uninstall in the setup.exe folder. That does uninstall it so far as I can tell - I tried looking for left-over files but didn't find any.

Plug it in, run setup, bingo!

Except frown !

Performance dreadful, even though it shows a 144Mbps connection. Solved by a reboot of the laptop, which seems to have become rather confused by the above.

Speed tests seem to be 2Mbps down and several hundred kbps up higher than the 72.2Mbps of the inbuilt Atheros.

I'm not sure for normal use it's worth having a fragile dongle sticking out of the side of the laptop, and as I'm no longer a more than once a day man [cough], (not even once a day tongue), I rarely run speed tests. Only when there is something odd.

As advised by a few of you earlier, I have a (slightly) different SSID now for the 5GHz. Just a "5" at the end of the 2.4GHz one. Passwords are identical.

Interestingly, my Galaxy SIII detected the 5GHz but I had to give it the password. The iPad Air i found was using 5GHz anyway, but I've no idea when or how that happened. Maybe it was told by me at some time.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 22:32:51
Print Post

I've never been a fan of USB networking. Does the laptop have an ExpressCard slot? Is it a USB 2 or USB 3 port?

USB has always been a bit of a pain from the early days of USB2 with wired ethernet adaptors. It was always better to fit a card.

As advised by a few of you earlier, I have a (slightly) different SSID now for the 5GHz. Just a "5" at the end of the 2.4GHz one. Passwords are identical.

This is only useful for diagnostics, as you can then tell when your laptop/phone/tablet has lost the 5GHz signal.

Interestingly, my Galaxy SIII detected the 5GHz but I had to give it the password. The iPad Air i found was using 5GHz anyway, but I've no idea when or how that happened. Maybe it was told by me at some time.

Yes, the S3 would need the password as its no idea they are the same network, iOS devices are the same, so I suspect you told it. They can only go by the full SSID and password.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Nov-13 23:52:40
Print Post

There's one USB3 and two USB2.

I started off in the USB3 and it was in that I got it working. Then when I had the troubles I decided to swap to a USB2. A secondary reason being the router is at 10 o-clock from the laptop and 45 degrees up, with the USB2s being on the left and the USB3 on the right.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Nov-13 00:13:51
Print Post

Nice, in USB3.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Nov-13 07:53:35
Print Post

Nice, in USB3.

I can't remember your original WiFi result but that looks good!

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 05-Dec-13 22:13:58
Print Post

your BQM looks nicer indeed.

whats funny is on interleaving you have lower latency than my fast path laugh

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-Dec-13 16:45:44
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It isn't interleaved now smile. I'll have to check back on the graphs to tell you accurately what happened when, but the new router made a difference.

Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 06-Dec-13 16:54:42
Print Post

Just connected my Asus RT-AC68U and PCE-AC68. Not very fast at the moment. Trying to work out how best to have it connected to my ISP.

Wifi connected at 1.3Gbps though.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Standard User Brammers
(member) Wed 11-Dec-13 21:15:06
Print Post

Another happy (so far) user of the Merlin firmware here.

The changelog's look much better than the Asus ones. Firmware looks the same but with all the goodies included.

It's a keeper.

J