Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 15-May-14 08:09:40
Print Post

Re: Powerline adaptor question

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
It really does make a difference to performance if plugged directly into the wall socket.
That's certainly true, but for the usual sort of extension a couple of metres long the effect is slight in my experience.

The real killers are the extensions designed for computer use with a built-in mains filter; you can use those OR you can use powerline adaptors, but not both!

(Note that surge protectors are usually OK, they work differently)

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 15-May-14 09:30:45
Print Post

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

As Billford suggests, the only definitive answer is MAYBE!

I know one location where they work between ring 1 and ring 2 but ring 2 to ring 3 does not!

Personally, I would install a single Cat5e run from router to TV. Infrastructure cable can be reasonably well hidden in the gap between carpet and skirting board - take a little time and one in you will never know it is there. Or run external Cat5e round the house on the outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-May-14 12:25:20
Print Post

Are there really two ring mains, or is it just the lighting circuits that are separate?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-May-14 14:42:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is absolutely standard
In fact I have three ring mains - upstairs/downstairs and kitchen plus the usual spurs (immersion heater, cooker and garage

Edited by Oldjim (Thu 15-May-14 14:43:21)

Standard User DooGie
(committed) Thu 15-May-14 16:49:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are there really two ring mains, or is it just the lighting circuits that are separate?

Yes Roberto, most houses are wired like that. One ring for upstairs and another ring for downstairs. Also seperate upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits.
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 17:21:09
Print Post

One piece of advice is to buy from an outlet which allows you to return items if they do not work satisfactorily. Amazon is one such and Argos allows you to return many items

I say this because I tried more than one make of Powerline before I got a good result with Devolo. Two other makes just did not work at all

However I'm sure you'll find a good result with one consumer unit and plugging directly in to a wall plug
Standard User DooGie
(committed) Thu 15-May-14 20:27:46
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

First I'll try the BT ones as not requesting them from BT was an oversight on my part and it's less than 30 days since I placed my order for Infinity 2.
I may be lucky and the OR engineer may have a couple in his van when he comes to do the installation tomorrow. If not I'll give BT a ring and ask them to supply me with a pair foc.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 15-May-14 21:07:44
Print Post

I run the BT ones, from the ground floor to the 2nd floor and can't tell the difference on speed tests on here. They are very impressive! Got the ones with the wireless access point so now got wireless cover upstairs that was very poor before.
Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 22:51:22
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

If bt infinity and bt tv are to be setup on the same day, the engineer has a 'while we were there' appointment to hard wire the bt tv box to the router . Bt no lnonger supply powerline adapters foc on any order, they are chargeable.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 16-May-14 10:32:57
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Only 3!

I have two primary rings on the ground floor and two on the first. Then my kitchen has two of it's own - one for appliances and one "above worktop". Add to that the Comms Room ring, another that feeds the utility/store rooms, another for Hifi/AV equipment, an "Outdoor" supplying three weatherproof points outside and a switched Economy10 ring. Then there are the additional radials for cooker, fridge, immersion heater, aircon &c. There are two 16-way and one 4-way consumer units!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to