Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 18-May-14 07:10:19
Print Post

Re: Powerline adaptor question

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
The reason the engineers won't fit them is apparently because of security/safety issues (I have a friend who works for BT). Something about adjacent houses sharing supply cables which could mean that your internet connection is available/viewable next door.
That's rubbish.

For a start adjacent houses don't share a power cable, they'll be on different phases. Only every third house shares a cable, and even then the signal has to go through two consumer units and two electricity meters in order to be even detected, never mind demodulated.

If that were the actual reason they don't supply them you have to wonder why they're so happy to provide wireless routers, which can certainly be picked up over much more than adjacent properties!

It's purely a cost-saving exercise.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-May-14 21:32:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

An adjacent property on the same phase could in theory use the connection (not the same cable, of course). I agree that most configurations and ancient wiring make it unlikely. It has apparently been reported in a new build estate where the wiring is sparkling new and the properties are very close together. Then there is the question of radio interference which is another reason why they are not pushed out as much as before.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 6GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 100Mbs as backup)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-May-14 22:36:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
An adjacent property on the same phase could in theory use the connection (not the same cable, of course). I agree that most configurations and ancient wiring make it unlikely. It has apparently been reported in a new build estate where the wiring is sparkling new and the properties are very close together.

Which is why the security methods in homeplug should be used, although not everyone does, they now generally come preconfigured if bought as pairs.

Then there is the question of radio interference which is another reason why they are not pushed out as much as before.

That has been a hot topic, mostly caused by the non-homeplug AV units that BT and others were fitting a long time ago. The AV spec (200 and 500) ones are apparently radically different, but I don't know any local radio amateurs to test/check with.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jamie543
(regular) Mon 19-May-14 00:01:27
Print Post

The reason the engineers won't fit them is apparently because of security/safety issues (I have a friend who works for BT). Something about adjacent houses sharing supply cables which could mean that your internet connection is available/viewable next door.

Is that why BT have branded thier own powerline adapters source http://www.ebuyer.com/620076-bt-200mbps-smart-powerl... and http://www.shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-d...

Edited by jamie543 (Mon 19-May-14 00:04:16)

Standard User DooGie
(committed) Thu 22-May-14 20:51:46
Print Post

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

To conclude this thread, I got a couple of BT 500 powerline adaptors, hooked them up and they are working perfectly.
Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated smile

The only thing I need to check out is to try a bit of online gaming and see if I get lag from the wife watching TV.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to