Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Aug-14 23:26:52
Print Post

Re: Asus routers crippled on 5GHz

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

As are Netgears. Chs 36, 40, 44 & 48
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Aug-14 23:31:56
Print Post

just to get one's router to be legal in one's own country.
The router is totally legal as supplied.
Standard User sfo32
(newbie) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:05:49
Print Post

There may be a misunderstanding here. Maybe on my part of course!

I was under the impression that there are only 4 non-overlapping and non-interfering 20Mhz channels for indoor use in the UK [Band A - Lower]. These are 36, 40, 44 and 48 and are the only channels that most domestic 5Ghz APs allow you to select from. Output power is restricted to 200mW.

Note how the channels go up in steps of 4. ("Channels" go up in 5Mhz steps)

The centre frequency of channel 36 is 5180. The centre frequency of channel 48 is 5240.

Allowing a domestic user to set the AP to use a channel with a centre frequency that potentially causes overlap with another AP is counter-productive - I can't think of a good reason to do so. With indoor range at 5Ghz being relatively limited, the possibility of needing to select even slightly overlapping channels in a domestic environment is pretty minimal, surely? And indeed this is why (unlike the case for 2.4Ghz) domestic APs usually stick to 4 channels.

In fact if you look at the majority of charts and tables and whatnot for 5Ghz that you'll find in various places, most show 4 channels being available with a 20Mhz bandwidth, or 2 channels at 40Mhz.

So my take on this is that domestic 5Ghz APs are not really crippled - they are simply protecting the user from doing something that might cause them problems. Of course users with no knowledge are likely not to change the channel at all and may end up with two APs on the same channel, but that's another story!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:34:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Your router is set to the German locale, which has the same power and channels as the UK. N66U routers are set to 'EU' which does not exist and gives only the four channels that Austria has.

Just out of interest, did you change the locale yourself or was the router a grey import?

My N66U was given to my parents and I bought the AC66U from Amazon.co.uk in March. The wifi is the same as factory apart from Merlin's firmware. YMMV.

I played around trying to get best range, as 2.4GHz is unusable here (I live in flats) but 5GHz is great, and I wanted the best range, but factory reset (with Merlin software) and 5GHz has been fine on my iPhone 5s and iPad.

The box has CE approval, so legal for EU sale.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:36:55
Print Post

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

According to Apple
Channels

Channels 1-11, 36-48, and 149-165 approved for use in the United States and Canada
Channels 1-13, 36-64, and 100-140 approved for use in Japan
Channels 1-13, 36-64, 100-112, and 132-140 approved for use in Europe
Channels 1-13, 36-64, and 149-165 approved for use in Australia, Hong Kong, and New Zealand

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:41:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

My take on that is that they are ruling out the top Band A frequencies to avoid overlapping with Band B, and for some reason don't want to use Band B. Possibly to do with the power level. Cutting out half the Band A channels does however seem a little drastic.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:43:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
According to Apple
Channels

Channels 1-11, 36-48, and 149-165 approved for use in the United States and Canada
Channels 1-13, 36-64, and 100-140 approved for use in Japan
Channels 1-13, 36-64, 100-112, and 132-140 approved for use in Europe
Channels 1-13, 36-64, and 149-165 approved for use in Australia, Hong Kong, and New Zealand
According to Wiki, channels 1-14 are OK in Japan.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:59:23
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

And following on what sfo32 said, only three 2.4GHz channels (1,6 and 11) are recommended for use as non-overlapping (in the UK anyway, don't know about Japan).

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Sun 03-Aug-14 01:00:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 02:00:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Which has always sounded like garbage to me, as each if those has a cluster with by definition maximum interference between every member of the cluster. Go for an intermediate channel and you have weaker signals on your peripheral channels, and almost zero on your chosen one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Sun 03-Aug-14 09:15:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
I have no idea why the FCC is after this. The trouble is, it may be difficult or impossible to have this lockout for US routers only - Asus obviously finds it difficult to localise its routers correctly for Europe.

It's not so much an Asus problem as a Qualcomm/Atheros one. Because they sell their wireless chipsets to manufacturers that supply routers all over the world they supply the chipsets without a regulatory domain set.

Without a regulatory domain in the chipset the router OS defaults to using a worldwide one that is set to the lowest common denominator (which is similar to the US in terms of frequencies, but with lower power output) so as not to break the law anywhere in the world.

It's possible for the Linux system running on the router to ignore this worldwide regulatory domain and use the settings for the router locale, but i think there's some sort of legal or license obligation that prevents distros and router firmwares from actually shipping with this.

I know that for OpenWrt there's a script you can run after installation that will patch the kernel to allow you to set your locale and have it apply the correct channels/power output.

That's the situation today, although i'm sure i read somewhere that the FCC is trying to get hardware locks into the actual wifi chips because of worries over software-defined radio, but i can't seem to find where i read it now.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to