Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:41:37
Print Post

Re: Asus routers crippled on 5GHz

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
thanks, thats a lot more commands than was given on merlin's forums.

I spent a lot of time searching various forums and logged all those.

I did run with GB for a while but found 5GHz range was reduced, significantly, and I only live in a flat. The beamforming option on my AC68U was also problematic. So I factory reset and haven't touched since, and I get good 5GHz across my flat - so I can ignore 2.4, which is great, as 2.4 is unusable at weekend. Too many kids with ancient nintendo devices nearby :-/

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:15:08
Print Post

it seems whenever I make a change in the GUI, the country is reverted back to EU.

The latest firmwares, when rebooted, take the country from the CFE boot code and reset any manual tweaks. The last Merlin firmware NOT to do this is 376.43. I have never run the stock firmware so am unsure when this was brought in by Asus.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:17:35
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I did run with GB for a while but found 5GHz range was reduced, significantly, and I only live in a flat. The beamforming option on my AC68U was also problematic. So I factory reset and haven't touched since, and I get good 5GHz across my flat - so I can ignore 2.4, which is great, as 2.4 is unusable at weekend. Too many kids with ancient nintendo devices nearby :-/

The wireless driver in Merlin's software does not work with the GB locale well. I set mine to Iceland for a while as a) it worked and b) vy similar regs to the UK.
At the moment, I have no regional restrictions on my router - but operating it legally for the UK.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 08-Aug-14 13:23:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

so you found 5ghz gimped on GB and better on default EU?

thats bizarre.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 08-Aug-14 13:24:15
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

whats the country code for iceland? and how to remove all regional restrictions smile

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 08-Aug-14 13:24:57)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Aug-14 20:41:30
Print Post

whats the country code for iceland? and how to remove all regional restrictions smile

Iceland = IS

Commands to remove all regional restrictions:-
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

Enjoy wink.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Aug-14 20:49:44
Print Post

so you found 5ghz gimped on GB and better on default EU?

I'm using an AC68U rather than an N66U. My parents have my old N66U when I upgraded, and I never had a problem running GB - but see Dr Teeth's response that the wireless driver in Merlin's build isn't great with GB setting.

The AC68U supports a LOT more complexity at 5GHz and the beamforming options are in Merlin's GUI that Asus leave out. Those are enough to halve your range/performance if wrong :-/

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 09-Aug-14 00:12:34
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

ok thanks but I am confused, you said if rebooting the overide tweaking is undone meaning if I ran all those commands the reboot would put me back on EU?

Is the reboot required to apply the new country code?

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Aug-14 14:41:13
Print Post

ok thanks but I am confused, you said if rebooting the overide tweaking is undone meaning if I ran all those commands the reboot would put me back on EU?

Only if you are on Merlin's 376.44 or later and the Asus equivalent. I am staying on Merlin's 374.43 and the changes DO survive a reboot.
Is the reboot required to apply the new country code?

See the last command wink.
Would you like a copy of the country codes, available channels and power levels?

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 09-Aug-14 15:03:25)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Aug-14 16:05:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
On a bog-standard RT-N66U the channels I can select are 36; 40; 44; 48.
FWIW it's the same on a Draytek 2860n+ I have on one site.

I havent seen what effect changing to another EU country has as I'm running beta firmware and don't want to stray too far from what is essential.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to