ok drteeth thanks.
After some testing here is what was happening.
On default EU this happened.
when set to 20/40/80 mode phones all only connected at 20mhz, 72mbps. throughput also was less reliable than 2.4ghz with random stalls.
when set to 40mhz fixed width phones connected at 150mbps but throughput was no faster than 20mhz.
when set to fixed 80mhz phones only connected at 20mhz, so I concluded issue is with 80mhz mode.
In addition channel was forced to channel 36 with no extension channel, it ignored the channel I chose in the GUI when using either 80mhz or 20/40/80mhz modes.
On GB, same as above but with less stalls so more consistent throughput.
On IS same as above but got bit higher speeds and noticebly higher signal strength. (full bars)
Unregulated, the 20/40/80 and 80 is fixed, they work properly my channel setting works and I get the extension channel as well. Speeds are actually significantly higher than 20mhz mode as well. Although still not quite as fast as the hh5 achieved.
It does seem asus routers are in a mess, is very volatile wifi and ipv6 code at the moment, and they are trying to lock down these routers which seems to have broken things quite badly.
I didnt need to reboot.
Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 15-Aug-14 06:26:09)