Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 26-Sep-15 09:52:24
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n Router and FttC Connection

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The BTO Modem wasn't supplied, it was purchased.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:25:52
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

[cough] [chuckle]

The word "supplied" was part of a direct quote from your OP.

If you follow the three links in my post you will not find your acronym meanings exist in them. They are obviously not as commonly use as you say. It would be better if you used the same abbreviations as everyone else. As per this post and the two by David_W.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 26-Sep-15 12:27:38)

(experienced) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:45:16
Print Post

Although I would love to stay here and discuss such issues, I have many important things to do.

I have no idea what OFM and CFM have to do with our discussion but I assume you meant OFW and CFW.

I see many abbreviations used by many people and if I can't successfully guess what it means then i'll politely ask or search for it. I wouldn't make an issue out of it but I stand corrected and think it's best to avoid using these, I wouldn't want to cause a confusion and divert attention from the 'original post'.

Anyway, have a good day.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:52:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
I have no idea what OFM and CFM have to do with our discussion but I assume you meant OFW and CFW.
Oops smile. How true!

Only OFW appears in the lists. That leaves two of the three tongue.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(experienced) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:59:03
Print Post

I would have thought your attention to detail would have picked up on that slight error wink

Anyway, have a good day...
(experienced) Sun 27-Sep-15 17:47:39
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Having searched the internet ive read that my exchange is being upgraded to Fibre OnDemand... What exactly is this and will it offer me anything better than I have now? I read that this could be ordered at a cost but the must be a huge expense if it involves replacing the copper part of my line to fibre (3km approx)...

Thanks all
(experienced) Sun 27-Sep-15 18:39:35
Print Post

Having decided to go back and check the articles date, it was 2013 so probably of no relevance now and i've heard nothing about it being offered but I doubt I would have...

Would be interested to know more about it, how to get it and what exactly it costs. I can assume this would be suitable for areas with poor connection who want to raise funds as a group and have the lines upgraded...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-15 09:43:33
Print Post

Fibre on Demand is on hold at present. BT are expecting to release something new to replace it in the near-ish future but what it will be and how widely available it will be is currently guesswork (at least for those of us that don't have insider knowledge).

It was quite expensive (could be in the thousands for install - dependent on distance) and required a 3 year contract to BTs 330Mb/s package which wholesaled at £99 per month.
(experienced) Mon 28-Sep-15 17:34:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that info.

The article I read listed my exchange as one of the very few to trial this but if it's on hold, I guess it is irrelevant now. At that cost, it must be directed at groups wanting to fund raise as they have in other areas or for bussiness use.

Thanks again...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:22:52
Print Post

It was a per house cost so getting groups together didn't make much (any?) difference. Mostly it became a business product (it used to be cheaper when first trialled).

The expectation is that with G.Fast trials and improvements to the way they can rollout FTTP that the new product will be more cost effective - but only time will tell.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to