Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Wed 30-Sep-15 12:02:13
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n Router and FttC Connection

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that info, appreciated.

Will g.fast be rolled out to all fibre lines (fttp/fttc) when/if available and offer greater speeds?

My fibre sync has settled @

25.7Mbps || Down
5.1Mbps || Up

Not a great improvement as my ADSL Line Sync was at the max available for such a line (18.6/1.3). Although the upload offers better pings when gaming...

A couple of days ago, I switched from my Billion 7800n to the Sky Router and not using the BTO Modem but the networks speed was all over the shop and never reaching the max nor settling at a rate. Just decided to go back to my 7800n and the BTO Modem and everytging is fine and no more fluctuating speeds. Although the Sky Router offered a better sync speed the 7800n offered more stable network speeds...

Edited by shaneosborne (Wed 30-Sep-15 13:45:06)

(experienced) Fri 02-Oct-15 11:46:34
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

I'm hoping someone here can assist.

For some reason, as mentioned previously, the Sky router offers a better sync rate *+5Mbps but the wifi side of the router is very poor.

Can I use the Sky Router as the modem and connect my 7800n to the LAN of the Sky Router (removing the BTO Modem) thus allowing wifi devices to connect to the 7800n as it offers better wifi range and speed?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by shaneosborne (Fri 02-Oct-15 11:48:44)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Oct-15 12:43:29
Print Post

Will and all are words with distinct meaning.

All we can say is Openreach has said 10,000,000 G.fast lines rolled out by 2020 if allowed to do so, e.g. Ofcom changes may cause delays or force a change in direction. With expansion after 2020 to the majority of the UK - presume to mean 55% to 65% of premises.

If G.fast does not offer faster speeds then no point in rolling out.
More FTTP (not just FoD2) is expected as in some places that will be cheaper to do than G.fast, but no one can say where.

Take-up from the FTTC roll-out is giving Openreach more data to use when deciding on which areas may get upgrade, so might not be an exact mirror of the FTTC roll-out.

Remember Virgin is talking of another 4 million plus homes passed.
Sky/TalkTalk are talking of 10m FTTH premises.
Gigaclear and Hyperoptic have expansion plans too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Oct-15 23:14:59
Print Post

Keep the Sky unit as a modem/router.

Connect a LAN port on it to a LAN port on the 7800n.

Give the 7800n a fixed IP address on the same subnet as the Sky unit, outside the allocatable range in the DHCP settings of the Sky modem/router.

Disable DHCP on the 7800n.

You can then use both for wifi if you wish, in various ways, to give even better coverage. Or just disable it on the Sky if you don't need it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 12:35:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks... Seems odd that the Sky unit offers a greater sync than the billion, it was the complete opposite on ADSL2+. As for the wifi on the Sky unit, it is really bad and i'm surprised at how bad it is...

Thanks again for your help...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Oct-15 14:10:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
Thanks... Seems odd that the Sky unit offers a greater sync than the billion, it was the complete opposite on ADSL2+. As for the wifi on the Sky unit, it is really bad and i'm surprised at how bad it is...

Thanks again for your help...
The Billion 7800 is an ADSL only modem ,and has an Ewan port to connect to a VDSL modem such as the BT Huawei or ECI

I think that you ment to say that the SKY modem/router obtained a higher sync than the BT modem , as the billion has nothing to do with sync on FTTC

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 04-Oct-15 14:13:22)

(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 14:37:24
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Yup. That is correct, thanks.
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 14:46:31
Print Post

Thought it best to ask here for now, instead of starting another post.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Billion BiPAC 7800DXL and use that instead of my Sky and 7800n, what do you think of this new modem/router? I know it's expensive but it does have a lot under the hood and it's on offer over at Amazon atm.

Thanks all...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 04-Oct-15 14:50:01
Print Post

It doesn't have a VDSL2 modem
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-15 15:56:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Oh! I thought this one did....

I do know that Billion produced a router simular to the 7800n with VDSL Modem but can't think which one it was...

The one I listed above seems rather expensive knowing it has no VDSL Modem

8800AXL is the one I need but boy does it look ugly :/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to