Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Oct-15 18:15:32
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n Router and FttC Connection

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
Oh! I thought this one did....

I do know that Billion produced a router simular to the 7800n with VDSL Modem but can't think which one it was...

The one I listed above seems rather expensive knowing it has no VDSL Modem

8800AXL is the one I need but boy does it look ugly :/
Currently the only VDSL modem / router AIO solutions that they sell in the uk are 8800nl and the 8800AXL But they are going to be releasing the 8900 range at some point, but i don't know when they will release it , but imo it could be a better product than the 8800 series, they also would appear to of returned to the same design as the earlier 7800 series box(shape) the BiPAC 8900TAOX model isn't going to be sold in the uk , apparently according to a poster on the billion forums , but they are going to sell other models in the 8900 series , i would wait and see, and see were we are with the g.fast roll out by then , as there ain't no point in spending money on something that becomes obsolete within 1-2yrs

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 04-Oct-15 18:24:20)

Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:22:06
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

So, it's a boring Sunday and i've decided to reconfigure my network. If I don't do it today, it will never get done.

The Sky Router and the wi-fi feature is still very poor, even after changing wi-fi channels etc.

I'm going to use the Sky SR102 Fibre Modem as a standalone modem and connect my Billion 7800n to handle the wi-fi and ethernet connected devices.

I wanted to ask;

On the Sky Router, one of the ethernet ports has a green line below it, is this port a QoS Port or Gigabit Port and would it be worth using this port to connect my Billion 7800n too?

Another quick question of which i'm confused by the various answers found online. The SR102 shows 0.0db under the upstream noise margin, is this a bug limited to the broadcom chipset? The router doesn't seem to be affected by this...

Many thanks in advance smile
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:03:38
Print Post

Something has gone wrong... Grrgghhh!

I've disabled Wifi on the Sky SR102 and disabled DHCP on the 7800n but the wifi speed, now provided by the 7800n alone is poor.

WiFi is disabled on the Sky SR102 but i'm still able to access the GUI via wifi even tbough it's disabled, is that normal?

I can no longer access the 7800n GUI, i've clearly done something wrong.

Accessing the internet is fine...

Any help is very much appreciated.

Edited by shaneosborne (Sun 11-Oct-15 16:46:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:52:12
Print Post

WiFi is disabled on the Sky SR102 but i'm still able to access the GUI via wifi even tbough it's disabled, is that normal?

I can no longer access the 7800n GUI, i've clearly done something wrong.

You will still be able to access via WiFi because you are accessing it via the LAN - so you connect wifi to one router and it uses the wired connection to connect to the other.

As far as why you can not access the 7800n what IP addresses are you using? I suspect you either have them both on the same IP address or you have them in 2 separate subnets (ie one is 192.168.1.254 and the other is 192.168.0.1). You need to make sure both routers have unique IPs in the same subnet - and the DHCP does not offer either of those addresses in its pool.
(experienced) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:57:02
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I think I know what has happened, I disabled DHCP but didn't allocate an IP Address. So, The Sky Router is using 192.168.0.1 and the Billion is 192.168.1.254. I don't know what the IP address assigned to the Billion. I've looked at the attached devices within the Sky Router but none of those IP Addresses allow me to access the Billions GUI.

Something strange has happened to day, I received an email from Sky saying Line Training has started (a week late) and after looking at the sync log, the Sky Router resynced and the speed of both upload and download has increased. Prior to this, my sync speed never changed and I had room left with the noise margin. So, it looks like Sky are a week late in starting my line training!

Just like to say thanks to all those helping me on this, appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 13:07:20
Print Post

Look at the DHCP settings on the Sky box, in particular the allocatable range.

Then go to the DHCP settings on the Billion. Keep its DHCP disabled, but assign its IP address as a fixed one outside the allocatable range of the Sky box, instead of the 192.168.1.254. So 192.168.0.n. Save it, and things should be good, with both GUIs available at the same time.

Edited as per ian72's post. You may need to adjust the Sky box allocatable range, as we both have said. 192.168.0.254 would seem a good one to use for the Billion. I was just picking what I believed was certain to be available so as to avoid doing that.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 12-Oct-15 16:09:34)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-15 14:10:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You shouldn't assign any device to the first or last address in a range - so using 192.168.0.0 is not a good idea as it is a reserved address. The OP may need to shorten the range on DHCP to free up an address as likelihood is that it is set to hand out 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254. Changing either end and assigning the freed up address to the router would do the job.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 14:33:05
Print Post

Bah! I didn't know that frown. But I'm sure I've seen 192.168.0.0.or 192.168.1.0 used as a router address. Netgear 834 series? Or perhaps my old Linksys.

Anyway, post edited to comply smile, and thanks.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-15 14:36:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The first address is reserved as it references the entire subnet and the last address is the broadcast address for the subnet. Neither should be used for devices. However, you could have a subnet that crosses several ranges (ie 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.1.254 where 192.168.1.0 would be a valid address).

When getting blocks of addresses from an ISP if you get a block of 8 addresses and you configure as a subnet then you would only actually have 6 usable.

The fun of IP subnets - I never bothered to learn how to calculate subnets as it all seems a bit too much like voodoo to me.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 14:46:56
Print Post

Yep - Netgear 834s are ....0.1 and Linksys ....1.1

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to